Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Why is Aberdeen Football Club in decline?

If only the distinction was a clear demarcation. Unfortunately the ambition of the board, the investment of funds being made available to the "football side of the business" dictate how far the team can go. This is where the two are inevitably intertwined.

There is only so long trying to polish a shite can take you. This close season, more than many before, will establish precisely what the fuck the board are about.

Agree, you have to discuss club and team -

Club - poorly run. We continue to operate at a loss year after year if I am not correct. The debt is not being lowered. That is the bottom line, business is profit and loss. What makes football unique in business is that you see fans (i.e. Newcastle), millionaires (Chelsea, Fulham) etc. plough personal millions into the team. Most of the frustration from the fans comes from the fact that we have a very wealthy owner who is not willing to put in any sort of real investment when we all feel he is capable. I may be naive to think that even his business could 'loan' Aberdeen the money at a better rate than the bank. We pay a hell of a lot in interest alone.

Team - poorly run. Quality of play is poor, performances are generally poor, tactics are baffling. We have no internationalists, very few (if any) special players, and don't seem to have any exciting youngsters coming through.

When Fergie was boss he instilled a belief that we can compete and dominate the old firm, and we did. We now have a coach (and club) that in my opinion generally feels they cannot compete with the old firm. I still believe we can - it just takes quality leadership, a few good signings and a bit of ambition, but it doesn't take millions. Results against the old firm show we can compete, and the occasional good performances show what we can do with the right attitude, belief, and motivation.

Until the club changes the mindset that we can be a force in Scottish football I feel we'll always be in decline. That to me is the cancer in the club. Money doesn't buy success, a quality business plan, coaching, and players can bring it and I do feel we are capable. We competed with Rangers and Celtic in the past due to excellent leadership and coaching - we were the cream of Europe, not because of the money we had, but due to smart business, great leadership, and quality coaching. We had good players (not great) who did their jobs very well and I don't see why we couldn't have that again.

Competing with the likes of Real Madrid, Barca, Man Utd. etc is a bit too much to ask but I do feel we could be the best in Scotland again.

Where's the DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM sayers? The ones that have their heads in the sand, or have the monopoly on positive thinking?

Is this an attempt to turn this into a 734 page Jimmy must go vs Jimmy must stay thread ?

It's not... attendances are though... probably thanks to folk like Rocket_Scientist  ;)

With the advent of the internet people can spout loudly about anything they want and if people were to venture onto KKK Chat then they would come away thinking that our starting XI consisted of the Krankies, Keith and Orville, 5 Star, Heather Mills and Philip Sebo.

Is this an attempt to turn this into a 734 page Jimmy must go vs Jimmy must stay thread ?

Do you think it is? I don't see it. The couple of posts in particular by Orlando and kelt, seem to me to be articulate expressions of opinion. I've learned something from a number of the posts above, although my original post was asking another question entirely. You might have an aversion to debate, but I don't think the calibre of posters in here would allow it to degenerate into the pisch that punctuates other sites.

Instead of dwelling in the negative, and making zero worthwhile contribution yourself, just skip this thread, and let it die it's natural death. It's not that difficult is it? You do have the power of decision making? If you struggle to read posts of over 20 words, find yourself a suitable forum.