Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Craig Robertson back at Pittodrie

Guest Robo

Another Dunfermline connection ;)

ABERDEEN today revealed they have added a new weapon to their summer star search.

Pittodrie chief Willie Miller has confirmed that Craig Robertson has now joined the club’s scouting team.

The former Dons and Dunfermline midfielder will scour the country helping to identify new talent for Jimmy Calderwood.

Aberdeen have already secured their first new signing of the summer after Oldham’s Gary McDonald penned a pre-contract and former Dunfermline assistant boss Robertson will help to uncover more.

“I know Craig very well and trust him in terms of his assessment of players,†said Miller.

“I first approached him after he got everything sorted out with Dunfermline and he was keen to come on board.

“I’m very pleased with the work he is doing and he’s happy to be back working for Aberdeen after previously serving the club as a player.

“It’s good to have more experience on board and in terms of scouting he’s going to be an asset to the club.

“I also know Craig’s capabilities as a coach and he’s now working for us in a consultancy capacity helping to source new players for us.â€

Calderwood, who will make major changes at Pittodrie this summer, echoed Miller’s views about Robertson.

The Dons boss, who has been preparing his troops for Saturday’s New Firm clash with Dundee United, is pleased to have landed McDonald to get his recruitment drive off to a flying start.

And Robertson will help to lighten the workload placed on assistant Jimmy Nicholl and coach Sandy Clark who share scouting commitments.

Calderwood added: “Craig has been looking at some players for us.

“It’s great to have another set of eyes available and another opinion about certain individuals.

“He’s been out and about looking at some of our targets and has filed some reports on them.

“With us being tied up with Aberdeen’s matches, it’s good to have someone else who can work for us.â€

Miller's old drinking buddy, a man out of football for many years, working as a salesman in the construction industry. He can't be any worse than the scouts over the last few years, despite any tenuous qualifications he might have.

Was he not part of Dunfermline's coaching staff in recent years? I am sure he was caretaker manager before the guy Kenny came in? I could very well be wrong. Robertson was another player who had talent but who was painfully slow.

Was he not part of Dunfermline's coaching staff in recent years? I am sure he was caretaker manager before the guy Kenny came in? I could very well be wrong. Robertson was another player who had talent but who was painfully slow.

You are correct about him being on the coaching staff at DAFC, Sharpie.

Good goal he scored against Rapid Vienna, right enough.

Either slow or lazy. He was full time selling about 4 years ago, and I understood he'd been with the company for a couple of years at least back then.

Had been scouting and youth coaching under Jimmy at Dunfermline.  Did great job there and helped bring through loads of youngsters!! ???

To be fair he will have a bit more clout working for Aberdeen. It is a positive step I think. Your average punter doesn't really know what happens behind the scenes at football clubs and there's no need to take a pop at Calderwood for this.