Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Zander speaks out

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Celtic-1--0-Aberdeen.4000955.jp

Diamond can't get handle on referee's handball decision

ZANDER DIAMOND slammed referee Iain Brines after his last-gasp goal was chalked off by the official. The "goal" would have given Aberdeen a share of the points and plunged Celtic into despair but the defender was controversially penalised for a handball.

"From what I'm hearing, the goal should have stood, so I'm disappointed in that," said the Aberdeen defender. "I don't know what Brines is looking at, I don't know if he turned away at that moment in time. How he's said I've gone up with my hand is just an absolute joke. That sums him up.

"I turned round to Barry (Nicholson] after it had gone in, and I thought (the free-kick] had been given against him because it was close to Barry's hand. The decision is unbelievable. If he's one of Scotland's top officials, I think were in trouble."

Diamond even ventured to suggest that it could have been a case of retribution for an exchange of views when the player was told to leave the field to receive treatment for a bloody lip. "He's saying to me to get off the park, but if as a referee you can see blood coming, surely you've got to stop it yourself, not get me to go to the side while the game's going on. I'm sure that's the rules of the game, so I wonder what ones he's reading."

He said he tried to speak to the referee after the match to seek an explanation but that simply proved another cause for complaint. "Its just the usual, 'get away from me'. You can't really talk to him about the decision. He just says 'go away', when you're just politely going there to ask to clear the decision up. No doubt I'll be up in front of the SFA shortly.

"It's big decisions in big games. If were challenging to get into third place again, we might look back and say that point at Celtic Park could have done us. He goes away to his job from Monday to Friday but we need to pick up the pieces."

:clap:

Ian Brines = CUNT

That he is, but I thought he had a poor game overall. Some of their decisions (not only against us but also them  :o) were shocking! The link for the "goal" is on youtube, type in there is a conspiracy against celtic you know or something like that.

Robbed of points in glasgow by a poor/blatantly wrong refereeing decision? Surely not!

Still makes you feel irate though. Brines' utter incompetence was at least acknowledged by strachan too. The sunday paper i read said it was patently obvious it was not a hand ball from the tv footage, and no-one in the press boxes thought it was either.

Cheers Ian, you prick.

From the BBC website:

Ref wrong to rule out Dons 'goal'

A Brines mistake denied Aberdeen a point at Celtic Park

Referee Iain Brines has admitted he wrongly disallowed the goal which could have finished Celtic's title challenge.

Brines penalised Zander Diamond for handball seconds before the Aberdeen defender struck what would have been a last-minute equaliser at Celtic Park.

However, Brines has used the Scottish FA website to explain his mistake.

"Having had the opportunity to view the incident via television, I fully accept that I called this incident completely wrong," he said.

Celtic's 1-0 win moved them two points clear at the top of the table, although Rangers have played three games less.

The decision left Diamond and his colleagues enraged and the defender was critical of Brines after the game.

The referee has since told the 'whistleblower' section of the SFA's website: "From the angle I had adopted, I observed the Aberdeen player Diamond jump to meet the ball and I believed he used his hand to aid the ball's flight beyond him.

"Immediately I blew my whistle awarding a free-kick to Celtic.

"The majority of players reacted to the whistle by stopping - the exception being Diamond who placed the ball into the Celtic goal.

"Having adopted the position I did, it didn't allow me to gain the best view of what happened during the incident.

"It is clear that the goal should not have been disallowed."

In a post-match interview that may land Diamond in hot water, the Aberdeen man said: "Saying I used my hand is an absolute joke and that sums him up.

"I thought he had a poor game.

"The decision is unbelievable. If that's one of Scotland's top officials, I think we're in trouble."

From the BBC website:

Ref wrong to rule out Dons 'goal'

A Brines mistake denied Aberdeen a point at Celtic Park

Referee Iain Brines has admitted he wrongly disallowed the goal which could have finished Celtic's title challenge.

Brines penalised Zander Diamond for handball seconds before the Aberdeen defender struck what would have been a last-minute equaliser at Celtic Park.

However, Brines has used the Scottish FA website to explain his mistake.

"Having had the opportunity to view the incident via television, I fully accept that I called this incident completely wrong," he said.

Celtic's 1-0 win moved them two points clear at the top of the table, although Rangers have played three games less.

The decision left Diamond and his colleagues enraged and the defender was critical of Brines after the game.

The referee has since told the 'whistleblower' section of the SFA's website: "From the angle I had adopted, I observed the Aberdeen player Diamond jump to meet the ball and I believed he used his hand to aid the ball's flight beyond him.

"Immediately I blew my whistle awarding a free-kick to Celtic.

"The majority of players reacted to the whistle by stopping - the exception being Diamond who placed the ball into the Celtic goal.

"Having adopted the position I did, it didn't allow me to gain the best view of what happened during the incident.

"It is clear that the goal should not have been disallowed."

In a post-match interview that may land Diamond in hot water, the Aberdeen man said: "Saying I used my hand is an absolute joke and that sums him up.

"I thought he had a poor game.

"The decision is unbelievable. If that's one of Scotland's top officials, I think we're in trouble."

Full decision on Whistle blower

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/whistleblower.cfm?newsid=3894

DISALLOWED GOAL

Tuesday, 22 Apr 2008

Disallowed goals can often be contentious decisions that rely on split second judgement by the officials in charge of the match. Iain Brines made such a decision this weekend during the match between Celtic and Aberdeen when he ruled out a late goal by Diamond for handball. After reviewing the decision again on television, Iain Brines now concedes that this was an incorrect call.

Speaking today, Iain Brines said:

"In the final minute of the match, Aberdeen were attacking within the Celtic half of the field of play. The ball was on the left wing and was crossed into the packed Celtic penalty area. From the angle I had adopted I observed the Aberdeen player Diamond jump to meet the ball and I believed he used his hand to aid the ball's flight beyond him.

"Immediately I blew my whistle awarding a free-kick to Celtic. The majority of players reacted to the whistle by stopping - the exception being Diamond who placed the ball into the Celtic goal.

"On reflection and having had the opportunity to view the incident via television, I fully accept that I called this incident completely wrong. Having adopted the position I did, it didn't allow me to gain the best view of what happened during the incident. It is clear that the goal should not have been disallowed."

Commenting on the decision, Hugh Dallas of the Scottish FA Referee Development Department said:

"Refereeing a match requires our officials to rely on their judgement and positioning to make decisions as they see them within a split second. Sometimes errors are made and it is right to admit when you have made an incorrect call.

Backtrack all you want you twat, you still wouldn't have disallowed it at the other end  :hammer:

Brines is a fucking idiot.

Was he not ref at the league cup semi?  Possibly the worst 45mins of refereeing ever seen (shame it was followed by the worst 45mins collapse ever seen).

Someone told me that Kenny Clark is retiring this summer.  Does that mean we don't even have a half decent ref left in the SPL?

Brines is a fucking idiot.

Was he not ref at the league cup semi?  Possibly the worst 45mins of refereeing ever seen (shame it was followed by the worst 45mins collapse ever seen).

Someone told me that Kenny Clark is retiring this summer.  Does that mean we don't even have a half decent ref left in the SPL?

Craig Thompson? Charlie Murray?

Great guys.

JC is in the P&J talking about Brines holding his hands up and that it should mean that Zanders outspokenness should be excused by the SFA.

Dons hope ref howler can help Diamond

By Michael Gannon

Published: 23/04/2008

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood hopes referee Iain Brines’s admission he got it wrong on Saturday will save Zander Diamond from receiving a hefty fine.

Diamond was scathing in his criticism of Brines following the Dons’ 1-0 defeat by Celtic at Parkhead after the defender had a legitimate late equaliser mistakenly ruled out for supposed handball.

Diamond’s fiery comments will earn him a date at Hampden to appear in front of a SFA disciplinary committee. Brines, however, admitted yesterday he made the wrong decision over the alleged handball.

The official said: “On reflection, and having had the opportunity to view the incident on television, I fully accept I called this incident completely wrong.

“Having adopted the position I did, it didn’t allow me to gain the best view of what happened during the incident. It is clear the goal should not have been disallowed.â€

Brines’s admission was scant consolation for the Dons, who suffered a harsh and costly defeat, but it could prevent Diamond from being hit too hard in the pocket.

Calderwood said: “I would hope they would take it into account when dealing with Zander. He was hurting and he is a winner.

“I don’t think he had much choice but you have got to respect him (Iain Brines) for owning up to his mistake.

“It does not make much difference to us. It still cost us dearly, but I think referees get a lot more respect when they admit it was the wrong decision.â€

Meanwhile, Stuart Duff’s impressive performance at Celtic Park at the weekend has reignited his chances of a new contract at Pittodrie, according to Calderwood.

The versatile former Dundee United player produced his best display for the Dons since joining in January.

Duff’s deal expires at the end of the season and he is tipped to join the ever-increasing number of players heading for the Pittodrie exit.

The 26-year-old utility man’s future depends on the quality and quantity of new arrivals but Calderwood said he could yet play his way into the club’s plans.

Calderwood said: “I thought Stuart did very well. I think that was his best position on Saturday, getting forward from midfield.

“He is a good player and it is a confidence thing with Stuart. I thought he was as good as anyone on Saturday. He gets into positions where he can be dangerous and he knows how to score goals.

“He has not done his chances any harm but there are still a few games to go.

“He knows what I think of him, but we will see. We are conducting a wide search for players and it is not just about filling spaces, it is about bringing in quality players.â€

Former Aberdeen defender Michael Hart is set to make his long-awaited debut for Preston North End against Ipswich Town on Saturday after finally recovering from a hip injury.

“I thought Stuart did very well. I think that was his best position on Saturday, getting forward from midfield.

“He is a good player and it is a confidence thing with Stuart. I thought he was as good as anyone on Saturday. He gets into positions where he can be dangerous and he knows how to score goals.

That's him getting a new contract then. When he finally signs it, JC will say "He played at Celtic Park and was as good as anyone. That shows his quality." You heard it here first... or possibly when he's signed other dross in the past.

Whilst I wouldn't be happy about this at all, I actually thought midway through the game on sat that he was having a decent game (by his previous standards). I then had to sit for a second a ponder this outrageous thought. I realised it must be my eyes deceiving me and he was gash. Everyone can have a decent game every now and then, but thats not good enough for AFC. Jimmy C, don't be daft.  :wave:

That's him getting a new contract then. When he finally signs it, JC will say "He played at Celtic Park and was as good as anyone. That shows his quality." You heard it here first... or possibly when he's signed other dross in the past.

Hmmm... Who currently in the team gets forward from midfield and has an eye for goal? Duff'll be Barry's replacement then...

Diamond Facing A Rap Over Blunder Ref Brines

ZANDER DIAMOND will still face an SFA rap over his outburst

Diamond branded the official a joke for ruling out his injury-time equaliser against Celtic for an alleged handball at Parkhead on Saturday.

Brines later revealed he cocked up, insisting the Aberdeen defender's goal should have stood.

The referee confessed to making the major blunder after watching replays of the incident on television.

But his admission of blame won't prevent Diamond being carpeted by Hampden beaks. The Scotland Under 21 star's conduct was discussed at the SFA'S General Purposes Committee on Tuesday.

They've written to Diamond and asked him to explain his post-match comments at the next GPC meeting in June.

SFA spokesman Rob Shorthouse said: "Players are allowed to disagree with decisions but our rules clearly state they cannot question the competence of an official.

"We have written to the player and he has been invited to the next General Purposes Committee meeting to explain himself."

I reckon Diamond WILL get criucified for this. It is of the utmost importance to the SFA that despite the admission that brines WAS wrong, all referees must be above the laws and rules of the game and are answearble to no one.

Unfortunately methinks you are right.

However, the AFC board includes a practising lawyer. Assuming he has expertise and competence in his field, where the Director of football and manager clearly have none in theirs, then he ought to be able to come to the rescue.

The one "defence" that kills a civil action case of Libel (known as Slander in Engerlund) stone dead, is "veritas" i.e. what was said that offends is true.

Zander was right to get upset, as Brines openly admits, so by engaging a defence along the lines of veritas will mitigate the demeanour.

I suspect Zander's comments have included utterances somewhat broader than "the referee got it wrong" however, thus leaving himself open to punishment.

Ridiculous state of affairs. Ridiculous decision. Ridiculous referee.