Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tims vs Dons

On 09/11/2023 at 20:01, Panda said:

But whisper it, we're starting to look like a good side. 

I only wrote that three days ago. Today was pathetic, like watching a different team. 

The first half pretty much everyone in the back line, including the two wing backs, were just beaten so easily. Just too static - Yang, O'Reilly, Kyogo and Palma's movement was too much for us. Now they'll do that to a lot of teams, but we were astonishingly bad.

The problem was we never had an outlet. Every clearance went back to Celtic. Very few passes were being put together. There's no use having Clarkson sitting in the hole trying to spray passes to Hayes and Polvara, whose movement and pace aren't there. 

On Thursday, PAOK offered a different threat in that they attacked from wide, which suited Aberdeen as Devlin and Mackenzie could go meet their wide men while the back three covered. Today Celtic came through the middle and overlapped, which we seemingly were not prepared for. 

In the second half, we actually improved somewhat. We tried to push a higher line and tried to press higher. We were still poor going forward, but defensively Roos wasn't having to bail us out as often. But the penalty is followed by us just falling apart. To go from 2-0 to 6-0 in such a short space of time is frighteningly bad because we shouldn't we getting turned over like that.

Edited by Panda

I kept looking at Livescore during the night and was pissed off we were 3-0 down. Turned my phone off when it was around the 90th minute. I got up this morning to see that Aberdeen FC had been beaten 6-0. The first thing I thought was I never knew the women's team were playing Celtic. My mouth dropped when I saw what had happened and it's still fucking dropped. In the army, they break you down and then build you back up again. This fucking team does that to me constantly. Up and fucking down.

8 hours ago, Madbadteacher said:

Was this from playing 7 minutes “added” time where they had a clear 2 day advantage in recovery time?

I'd say no to that, but what I would say is Robson's attempts to manage the fitness levels has been hopeless.

He waited until 3-0 to change anything, making three subs between the 78th and 81st minutes.

Shinnie - Barron

Polvara - Duncan 

Hayes - Duk

Essentially, three like for like subs (position wise), a "freshen up" for the last 10 minutes, which turned into 20 minutes. Maybe Duk went into a front two, I can't remember in all honesty.

At 3-0 the game is gone. Miovski, who has ran after scraps all day, is about to go on international duty. Take him off.

I'd even go so far as to suggest one of the demoralised back line should have gone off too.

• Like 2