Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

St Mirren away 27/08

Angus MacDonald's worst game for Aberdeen.

Gifted the penalty, slow off the mark for the second goal, mistake led to a chance that should have been a goal, poor pass back putting Roos under pressure.

Fair to say his performance isn't helping Jensen have a fruitful debut either.

Edited by Panda

2 minutes ago, Panda said:

Angus MacDonald's worst game for Aberdeen.

Gifted the penalty, slow off the mark for the second goal, mistake led to a chance that should have been a goal, poor pass back putting Roos under pressure.

He's not been great but the team all have to look at themselves today. Needed to stand up. We need a winner in midfield and the start of this season tells you that shinnie isn't a big enough presence to boss a game. Team has a soft mentality unless we're playing the old firm.

Barry needs a big result on Thursday because he's spent a lot of money and the team has got worse.

23 minutes ago, redordead said:

Needed to stand up. We need a winner in midfield and the start of this season tells you that shinnie isn't a big enough presence to boss a game. Team has a soft mentality unless we're playing the old firm.

Nah I don't agree there. We couldn't pass the ball, that was the main issue. 

Shinnie seems to be praised as a great leader when we win and as not being good enough when we lose.

23 minutes ago, redordead said:

Barry needs a big result on Thursday because he's spent a lot of money and the team has got worse.

Robson isn't under pressure no matter what happens on Thursday. He'll be given time.

You're saying the team is worse, but eight players started today who were there last season and only Roos played well today. Clarkson in particular had really poor distribution. Robson just an easy target - basic things like passing, tackling, concentration all let us down today.

• Like 1

Miovski's celebration after the penalty summed up Aberdeen today.

After VAR checked it, rather than get the game restarted and go for a third, he runs over to the St Mirren fans and starts showing off the name on the back of his shirt like he's done something special.

He had a shocking 90 minutes and scored a penalty. Infuriating. 

We've got another striker coming in which might give him and Duk a kick up the arse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Panda said:

Nah I don't agree there. We couldn't pass the ball, that was the main issue. 

Shinnie seems to be praised as a great leader when we win and as not being good enough when we lose.

Robson isn't under pressure no matter what happens on Thursday. He'll be given time.

You're saying the team is worse, but eight players started today who were there last season and only Roos played well today. Clarkson in particular had really poor distribution. Robson just an easy target - basic things like passing, tackling, concentration all let us down today.

Easy target? He's picking the same players. He's playing the back 3 that had us on the back foot. 

Our game plan seems to be sideways passing them back to the centre half and a punt to miovski who wins nothing in the air. It's reminiscent of dels latter days.

We've got footballers but we're not set up to play football through the lines.

On the shinnie front. We've only won at Stirling this season. I'll praise him when we change that 

4 minutes ago, Panda said:

Very little of that today to be honest. Got a penalty off a rare second half chance, that's all.

You've been wooshed Panda 

The parts I actually saw we were woeful. Huge step up required on Thursday evening or it's Conference League for us.

15 minutes ago, redordead said:

Easy target? He's picking the same players. He's playing the back 3 that had us on the back foot. 

But he isn't though.

He gave MacDonald his first start of the season. Had he played Devlin in the back three everyone would have questioned it, he played Rubezic. Maybe Mackenzie shouldn't have started but maybe Jensen isn't fit enough for 90 minutes. He eventually did change Mackenzie and gave Jensen his debut. That's not picking the same back three.

But it's a new defence. Are we worse than last season - well, he's lost Pollock and Scales, he's having to work with new guys. Individually all four who played in defence today were poor, but too early to write off Jensen and Rubezic, while we know MacDonald is better than what he showed today.

15 minutes ago, redordead said:
10 minutes ago, BigAl said:

You've been wooshed Panda

Yellow card.

Edited by Panda
  • Thanks 1

For the record I thought Jensen was the only bright spot today. I liked the cut of his Jib.

By the back three I didn't mean the players I meant the set up. Why not play higher up the pitch against the smaller teams. We shouldn't need three centre halves in Paisley , livi or Stirling. Let's go and play football to score goals.

We're still trying to be hard to beat rather than a team to be feared.

1 hour ago, Elgindon said:

Steady on min,are we going to allow the 10 or so signings a settling in period? Not denying today has been garbage like but...

Thank you, a pragmatist. Almost a dozen new signings, 2 who haven’t even been with us even a week, and one who has just come from the other side of the world. Plus an inexperienced manager dealing with a new season for the first ever time, piecing a team together, blending in new signings some of whom aren’t fit, plus the European situation and trying to qualify for the stronger group tournament. It’s a lot!! I’d say let’s see where we are by maybe the beginning of October?

in regard to the league, bar rangers and Celtic (in time), everyone will beat everyone, and it’s who can go on a run and be consistent. I truly believe we’ll get there.

three games in with these challenges and we’ve lost one in 3. We’re seeing positives too, even from a shit performance like today, we didn’t lose. killie and st mirren will fall away, we will pick up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Steady on min,are we going to allow the 10 or so signings a settling in period? Not denying today has been garbage like but...

Exactly, we are not going to get a real feel for what this team is all about until sometime in October. 

Haven't seen any highlights yet, have only read the Beebs report. One thing that stands out to me, why aren't we rotating the squad? Shouldvr gone with Sokler and Bavidge up front, given Duk and Miovski a rest ahead of Thursday. We have cover in most other areas too, so why does Robbo want to stick with his same usual starting 11 at all costs?

12 minutes ago, Reekie_Red said:

Haven't seen any highlights yet, have only read the Beebs report. One thing that stands out to me, why aren't we rotating the squad? Shouldvr gone with Sokler and Bavidge up front, given Duk and Miovski a rest ahead of Thursday. We have cover in most other areas too, so why does Robbo want to stick with his same usual starting 11 at all costs?

Because our squad lacks any real depth currently, so the guys that played a large part on Thursday would probably be the guys we'd normally take in for the Sunday game. We've also still to find out if guys like mcgarry, Sokler and McGrath are any good, whilst they still need to get up to fitness. It's always the same at this time of the season, but especially the last few years when we've had such a massive turnover of players. We should be expecting at least three of the new signings to be poor, but it'll take a while to get that knowledge. Today's result is fine in the scheme of things. Need a home game to get us going. Preferably not against a team that's just lost a dud manager.

18 minutes ago, Reekie_Red said:

He made two changes. Any more and he'd be accused of making too many changes, and of not taking St Mirren seriously.

Hearts made five changes, had to make three subs at half-time, and still lost.

That was a brutal watch. Far too much reliance in the long ball again. Was clear it was never working from very early on. Hayes struggled again today. McGarry and Jensen need to be decent. Rubi was poor again. Beginning to worry he might not be up to playing at the pace of our league. Hopefully he will get used to it with more game time.

Daylight robbery we got a point. 

Need to be a lot better than this on Thursday.