Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Women’s World Cup - Oz / NZ

Seems like FIFA have fucked up the marketing for this event over here, not sure what it’s like in oz? But anyway, games involving NZ should be close to sell outs, along with the USA games. I’m heading to NZ - Philippines and Japan - Spain. Looking forward to it, there weren’t many tickets left for the latter game, even having to sit in the alcohol free zone 😱 presumably we’ll still be able to drink on the concourse. Typically, or atypically, we’ve had next to no wind for months in wellington, this event comes up and here we are 🤣 winter football eh! Looking forward to it!

Great start for the host nations, sounded like it took the Auckland crowd a bit to get into it (anthem was quiet as hell on tv), but grew into the game. Must have been some noise in the ground at full time. Was a decent watch too, much better than expected given the ferns’ form. Japanese referee was excellent too. Got all the big decisions right. Looking forward to the Philippines game now.

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

Great start for the host nations, sounded like it took the Auckland crowd a bit to get into it (anthem was quiet as hell on tv), but grew into the game. Must have been some noise in the ground at full time. Was a decent watch too, much better than expected given the ferns’ form. Japanese referee was excellent too. Got all the big decisions right. Looking forward to the Philippines game now.

I'd blame the design of Eden Park. 
Terrible stadium for atmosphere compared to the 'Cake Tin' and whatever the new Dunedin stadium is called (They still had the 'house of pain' Carisbrook when I was there). 

13 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I’ll be honest. Women’s fitba is shite. I’m watching none of it :wave:

You’d be wrong. I’ve seen far greater skill levels thus far than I’ve seen from some spfl premiership teams. Ours included at various points over the last few years. But you are of course entitled to your own opinion.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2023 at 22:49, tom_widdows said:

I'd blame the design of Eden Park. 
Terrible stadium for atmosphere compared to the 'Cake Tin' and whatever the new Dunedin stadium is called (They still had the 'house of pain' Carisbrook when I was there). 

Yeah the caketin and Forsyth Barr Stadium in dunedin are both superb for atmosphere. Eden is good when cricket is being played there, but for some reason it is shit when rugby or football are played there. There's a grand plan to build a new stadium at Aucklands main harbour and then bulldoze Eden Park. But that's gonna be many tears away, cos kiwis are shit at committing to big construction projects 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manc_don said:

You’d be wrong. I’ve seen far greater skill levels thus far than I’ve seen from some spfl premiership teams. Ours included at various points over the last few years. But you are of course entitled to your own opinion.

Have to say Manc what I have watched has been pretty poor standard. Some pretty awful football in the main and definitely would not be be paying to watch games. 

7 minutes ago, Jute said:

Have to say Manc what I have watched has been pretty poor standard. Some pretty awful football in the main and definitely would not be be paying to watch games. 

Only seen the highlights so far so can't comment on overall standard but the goal NZ scored in the first game was terrific fitba - we won't score a goal like that because whenever we have a goal kick (and most other teams do exactly the same) 20 players make their way to a small area either side of the half-way line and Roos hoofs it hail-Mary style and hope for the best.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jute said:

Fair enough, the games I've seen have been better than I anticipated 🤣 Enjoyed Kiwi-Norway, Japan-Zambia and Sweden-SA (despite the conditions) games. Seen bits and pieces of others. Heading to the big one for the kiwis tomorrow against the Philippines. Unusual watching live football in winter here.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Japan Norway round of 16 game last night. Was superb. Excellent atmosphere, pretty much a Japan home match it seemed with the amount of backing they had. Japan are so confident playing out the back when you’d think they’d lose it, rarely did. Shame wellingtons last game is at a stupid time of day. Presumably for the yanks to not watch their team since they failed to top their group 😂 the quality was very good last night. Japan thoroughly deserved it, but Norway still looked dangerous when they got close to goal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2023 at 08:30, Tyrant said:

I watched a chunk of Portugal/Holland yesterday. It was shite. I'm pretty sure I would have improved the Portugal team if I was slotted into their midfield. Holland were marginally less shite but still shite.

In this day and age it won’t take too much to make it happen. I dare you.

On 06/08/2023 at 08:32, manc_don said:

Japan are so confident playing out the back when you’d think they’d lose it, rarely did. 

Japan have been technically excellent for some time but have lacked a spark of creativity required to get wins regularly. They found this spark in Miyazawa who is just an exceptional talent. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2023 at 10:01, Reekie_Red said:

Japan have been technically excellent for some time but have lacked a spark of creativity required to get wins regularly. They found this spark in Miyazawa who is just an exceptional talent. 

A joy to watch and wouldn’t be out of place in many men’s teams imo. 

aussie looked spent last night and were lucky to lose by only the two in all fairness. Tonight’s match should be a cracker I reckon.

People have really been on the fence with this world cup. Some have loved that the women's game is getting such a huge airing and following. Others are bemoaning the lack of quality, likening it to amateur football at best. 

I've really enjoyed the games I've watched, but one thing really really sticks out. There are very very few international grade goalkeepeers who are capable of saving a shot. I can't figure out if its a genuine lack of talent, or if the ladies simply aren't of a stature that allows them to cover the full face of the goal. In mens football, goalies are predominantly towering lumps. But in the women's game, they regularly seem to be either lacking in height, or flexibility, or both 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reekie_Red said:

People have really been on the fence with this world cup. Some have loved that the women's game is getting such a huge airing and following. Others are bemoaning the lack of quality, likening it to amateur football at best. 

I've really enjoyed the games I've watched, but one thing really really sticks out. There are very very few international grade goalkeepeers who are capable of saving a shot. I can't figure out if its a genuine lack of talent, or if the ladies simply aren't of a stature that allows them to cover the full face of the goal. In mens football, goalies are predominantly towering lumps. But in the women's game, they regularly seem to be either lacking in height, or flexibility, or both 

I've been to quite a few women's games and it's good to watch. The keepers are often the only difference - a significant one - between the teams. An even game can be turned into a rout just by virtue of one team having a terrible keeper. The Dons had a Celtic keeper on loan for a few games last season to cover for absence and she couldn't reach the crossbar or kick it as far as the halfway line. She was lobbed twice on her line in a game the Dons would otherwise have won. 

I suspect it's because it's a part-time sport for most, if you look back at world cup games involving developing nations there would always be a wild goalie or three that would be the biggest difference, but the professional men's game has largely ironed that out. It's rare that it's only a keeper that effects a particular game, and usually because of an outstanding performance or unusually honking one. Maybe it'll improve in the coming decade.

24 minutes ago, BigAl said:

On the subject of female goalkeepers I would concur with the common consensus.

However, much as if goes against the grain by praising any of them, Mary Earps in the English goal has been outstanding throughout the tournament.

Yep, she's decent. As are most of the established country's goalies. It's likely just a question of numbers. For example, in Scotland there are only a few professional teams and probably six keepers between them. It's also probably only the first generation of professional keepers here too. Over the last 5-6 years that will have improved and I suspect intakes will be significantly higher and coaching will become more ubiquitous too (Aberdeen have a dedicated goalie coach now for example).