Author Topic: League Suspended  (Read 3051 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -199
Re: League Suspended
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 03:17:01 PM »
If there's no football, other clubs won't be bidding for their services.

Whilst there is no football, clubs aren't making any money and you're right, some will go to the wall.

Instead of coming out with we want the seasons ended by 30th June, which UEFA have, without possibly knowing if this is possible or not yet, they need to take the lead. The only proper position is that the current season needs to be completed and depending on when that might be, these are the possible implications for 20/21 and even 21/22 as well.

Until they know when it's possible to restart, date-specificity is impossible.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -984
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
I think the "least worst" scenario would be to complete the pre-split games and finish it there, if no improvement in the situation by end of April, play the games behind closed doors. Avoids issues with contracts and transfer windows and at least gives everyone closure for a couple of months.

I don't envy the people that need to make the decision.

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 56
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 11:07:15 PM »
There's literally no answer to this that isn't shit. 
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »
I see Hearts are looking to cut salaries by 50% across the club, money must be tight as I have been contacted by the ticket office everyday for the past week and even got an email from a lass who is my contact for renewal which I have never had before.  I have to shift seats as ours cannot be renewed due to the red shed going into to Merkland.

Wasn't going to renew as so bored with what I have seen on the pitch for the past two seasons and have no idea how my own job is going to pan out due to current conditions, so shelling out £800 for 3 tickets doesn't seem right somehow.

It's all a bit of a mess.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 37
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
Supposedly Motherwell, St Johnstone and St Mirren are also in real trouble. Opens a whole can of worms if any of them are forced into administration and the SPFL try to finish off this season at all costs. Would they still apply the statutory points deduction despite circumstances being totally unique? If they did it would seem pretty harsh to me, especially if it happened from July onwards when we should really be into the new season.

Sevco's financial model predicates on them almost selling out on season tickets and getting the cash in early. If this stretches out for any length of time I wonder how many huns will shell out under blind faith that they can actually attend the amount of games that makes a season book a worthwhile investment?

Further down the leagues, Partick and Raith are struggling, asking fans for donations. Both famous old names in Scottish football, would be horrendous if they (or anyone other than sevco tbh) went to the wall.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 40
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »
Brora just been awarded the Highland League title with 6 games left of their season
They had a 13 point lead over 2nd placed Inverurie who only had 4 games left so couldnt catch them
HOWEVER
they had a 17 point lead over 3rd place Fraserburgh who had 9 games left,
and a 19 point lead over 4th & 5th placed Rothes (also 9 games left) and Buckie (8 games left)

Personally don't agree with it but if it helps the clubs then so be it. Consensus Ive gotten is many of the Highland league clubs want to win the title but have no great desire to win the playoffs to get into the SPFL so maybe that had an influence on the decision?

Also rumours of league reconstruction which might remove the need for playoffs
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 77
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 08:40:43 PM »
Can these cunts nae just play with masks and rubber gloves. Fucking poovery. Fan I was a loon, we'd be running aroon spitting on each other's open wounds before jumping, boner-first into an 86degree bath.

Offline Slim

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -984
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 04:51:56 PM »
All this talk of league re-construction on-the-fly and "all promotion, no relegation" doesn't sit well with me.

Looks like a cowardly attempt at avoiding a legal battle more than anything. No point running scared, Hearts will need to sell half their first team just to pay the lawyer fees.

Offline DantheDon

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 05:41:54 AM »
It's probably a no go anyway. We all know that the TV deals are negotiated on the basis of 4 old firm games a season.

I'd personally welcome league reconstruction but it wont happen even in this case.

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 56
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »
I'm quite happy with the twelve team league to be honest.  Only thing I would change would be the play offs.  Semi finals with 4th playing second bottom and 3rd v 2nd.
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:16 PM »
Lower non league english football seasons declared null & void (Men's & Women's leagues)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52069879

Be interesting to see if the FA change their mind if the number of clubs willing to challenge grows even further.

Personally I think this shows the utter contempt the FA really has for the 'grass roots' they keep banging on about being so important

Offline SeeBass

• Star Striker
  • Rating: -133
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 08:30:06 PM »
If the league is scrapped does it mean somebody like Samuel Cosgrove will lose 23 goals from his overall record??  Do our three ties in Europa League not count toward club's history either??

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 77
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 12:33:48 AM »
If the league is scrapped does it mean somebody like Samuel Cosgrove will lose 23 goals from his overall record??  Do our three ties in Europa League not count toward club's history either??

More importantly, does Andy Considine lose his appearances that get him very close to top 5 all-time appearances? I'm guessing not. These games did actually happen. They'll just count towards a league that was declared void.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 05:16:22 PM »
UEFA making a nice cagey threat of countries losing Champions & Europa League Spots if they prematurely end their seasons.
Sure the Belgian FA are chuffed to hear that one day after declaring Bruge as champions

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2020, 05:00:49 PM »
Well since we are all missing out on our fix of the Dandies, here is a clip of Gary Mackay Steven scoring a superb hat trick against Hibs back in December 17. Was at the game and he was unplayable that day and was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen from an Aberdeen player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -199
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2020, 05:08:05 PM »
Well since we are all missing out on our fix of the Dandies, here is a clip of Gary Mackay Steven scoring a superb hat trick against Hibs back in December 17. Was at the game and he was unplayable that day and was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen from an Aberdeen player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership

I was there too and thoroughly enjoyed it, one of the best games at Pittodrie this century. Let's be honest though, the first two goals were tragic defensive errors. The third was a very intelligent pass from May completing an excellent interchange but I didn't see GMS as "unplayable".

The first goal was my highlight, a phenomenal cross field ball by Kenny McLean and a great cut back (by GMS if I mind) for Shinnie to drive home.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:17:15 PM by rocket_scientist »
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »
Guardian reporting the 14 team premiership being put forward by cockwomble and co

No relegation in any divisions

Arabs & Caley promoted to premier
Falkirk & Raith Promoted to Championship
Cove & Edinburgh promoted to League One

1 Highland league & 1 Lowland league team promoted to League two

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »
Potential entertaining soap opera on the cards with this Dundee and Sevco malarky

Dundee potentially stabbing the two Thistles in the back (perhaps they played the 'we are a bigger club so should be promoted instead of Caley in the league reconstruction).

Sevco turning their evil horde on Orinco-ck (see how much teflon is woven into those suits of his with the orcs and goblins on his back)

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2020, 05:55:50 PM »
Hearts now getting their 50pence worth.

At last a bit of entertainment

Offline Chris Frae Killie

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 5
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »
Has anyone seen anywhere, what would happen with regards to the european placing, should the season be finished now, or made null and void? I presume, if it was null and void, they would use the final placings from last season for european qualification. If it was finalised now, who gets the Scottish cup place? I suppose the fairest way to allocate that would be to the next place in the league, which happens to be us. A little unfair on Hearts or Hibs as one of them would definitely have made it to the final but how else can you call it? Any rumours or suggestions?