Author Topic: McInnes & Docherty  (Read 604 times)

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 12
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
McInnes & Docherty
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »
Agree new deals until 2022.

Please delete thread if there's another one somewhere on the Forum, that I could have posted this on, couldn't find it if there is.

It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
Re: McInnes & Docherty
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »
This'll set the cat up the hoops of the pigeons.

I suppose it is deserved. Milne trying desperately to avoid having to choose another manager in case he fucks it up like every other appointment.

Despite his detractors in this regard - and regardless of whether ye think he's worth it - McInnes has fairly shown a decent amount of commitment to the dons. He clearly enjoys being here.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 12
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »
For me personally, as obviously I don't speak for every Aberdeen supporter, I feel like it's a safe bet. He's steadied us, brought 1 Cup in 2014 and qualified for Europe every season.

The only way he can really be a " success " now is to actually deliver another domestic trophy or two and get into the group stages of Europe. In terms of the League, we should aiming to win it until it becomes mathematically impossible, I don't buy into the " Try and get 3rd " mantra that's been coming out of Pittodrie for the last few months.

Maybe someone could progress us further than McInnes, plays attacking, attractive football etc... Or maybe we'd get stuck in rut and regress further than we were in terms of last season.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »
Yes he has showed loyalty, but we aren't paying him peanuts. Having turned down sevco there's no other club in Scotland would get near to giving him the kind of salary we do. And I suspect his options in England are now limited at best having turned down Sunderland, albeit they were a total basket case at that point and aren't a whole lot better now. He won't really attract interest down there now by getting us third in the league and reaching but not winning cup finals.

A bit meh about this but not surprised.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »
Yes he has showed loyalty, but we aren't paying him peanuts. Having turned down sevco there's no other club in Scotland would get near to giving him the kind of salary we do. And I suspect his options in England are now limited at best having turned down Sunderland, albeit they were a total basket case at that point and aren't a whole lot better now. He won't really attract interest down there now by getting us third in the league and reaching but not winning cup finals.

A bit meh about this but not surprised.

Aye, yer right. Sunderland and der hun would easily match what we're paying him obviously, but his options are indeed limited. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place for any prospective AFC manager I suppose. It'd be a huge jump to get anywhere close to the Hun or Tim in spending power (to the point of bankruptcy) and so the base target for any manager is third with a high of 3rd and a cup (in terms of the realistic targets that could be placed on a manager). If he got to the Europa League then I expect a few might take note.

In terms of the League, we should aiming to win it until it becomes mathematically impossible, I don't buy into the " Try and get 3rd " mantra that's been coming out of Pittodrie for the last few months.

That's what the club will be aiming to do. The notion that we wouldn't be is ridiculous - we try and win every game, but we quite quickly lose points to the point it becomes mathematically impossible quite early (generally speaking). However, if the club produced an equivalent to their recent strategy document that said the aim was to be winning the league, what benefit would that produce? Would it make it more likely that we would win the league? Would we make McInnes and the players' bonuses contingent on winning the treble? Or would that just sow division and make the players perform worse? What exactly would the point be of setting a target of first place in front of the wider public?