Author Topic: Betting  (Read 22611 times)

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -57
Re: Betting
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2018, 11:43:32 AM »
I'm not a betting man, wouldn't even know how to start filling out a football coupon.

If betting is your thing then fine, if you can afford to lose £50 on a Saturday afternoon ( or whatever) then great.

Occasionally you win, which is more than you ever get back financially from most hobbies.

I have to say though that the advertising has been racked up recently along with sports sponsorship etc.

I only see the advertising when I stream a game but it's truly appalling and obviously aimed at people with no brain.

I'm not saying that gamblers have no brain but obviously it's in the bookies interest to attract brainless people.

As a nation we really have to start banning these adverts but of course first they would have to get rid of their lottery and their bloody scratch cards.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:06:39 PM by donsdaft »

Offline Barcosente

• Under 21's
  • Rating: 3
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2018, 01:06:29 PM »
It perhaps does not help much that the 3 main Scottish competitions in football are sponsored by 3 different gambling institutions.

Our government has seen to it that sugar tax is imposed on drinks to tackle obesity, an extra tax on alcohol, but yet fail to impose any type of meaningful tarrif on the huge windfalls betting companies are generating.

Nothing wrong in controlled gambling, but surely gambling has become as much an issue as becoming fat or alcoholic?

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »
The advertising is nauseating but again, only works on the feeble minded.

What's interesting is how these clever advertising agencies appeal directly to their markets. The Coral campaign deliberately has a geeky gleck who's strapline is "don't bet silly, bet savvy". Ladbrokes ran with Mr Brightside and his gang of mates - including the token black of course (the generous one, handing out chips) - but these "characters" are peer craters (in old NE spik), deliberately chosen and engineered to act on-screen so as to "appeal"/ make a "connection" to "ordinary people". It's exactly the same with the over 50's markets, as we see in insurance and funeral plans etc., advertising and marketing using subjects that the feeble minded can "relate to". I preferred the aspirational model personally but advertisers are best placed to know with great precision what works best and when the majority of the population has been dumbed down to the extent it has been, and regressing worse year on year, it's easy pickings.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:23:18 PM by rocket_scientist »
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
A lot pf people seem to be up in arms that the wifie who owns bet365 paid herself £265m this year, up from £217m last year.

I don't recall this being "news" a year ago? Is it the amount involved? Is 265m worthy of condemnation but 217m is ok?

It was news, to the extent that I knew about it so I must have read it somewhere.

Also in the news earlier this week was a dramatic increase in online gambling by the young. Yes society has an obligation to look out for its vulnerable but I'm sorry, the state isn't responsible for the personal decisions of the stupid. It's not like the punter doesn't know that there is a risk involved in placing a bet. A fool and their money etc.

I disagree. Pretty much everything is now classed as "personal responsibility" these days, and I don't buy it; or at least the extent to which it can make a difference. The state doesn't have to be responsible for the personal decisions of the stupid, it just has to attempt to prevent stupid people from being taken for a ride - especially when "taken for a ride" doesn't just mean losing £50, it can mean losing a home, losing friends, losing family, suicide. We, as a society, underfund education then an entire industry uses pyshcological techniques that they've spent billions perfecting to trick those under-educated (or simply with addictive traits) into parting with their money. It's similar to the food industry - tricking people into buying foods that they don't need resulting in mass obesity. Some may not fall for the gambling industry, but there are few how don't get drawn in by the food industry, or the pharmaceutical industry, or the chemicals /plastics industry. There's little difference between me buying the unnecessary chocolate bar than the gambling addict putting another £2 on the horses because it's just a small bet. We're all tricked to some degree, whether it be recycling or betting, because that's the way we've designed our economic system. Saying that it's a person's responsibility not to be tricked isn't really addressing the problem.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #344 on: November 22, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »
The problem is the stupidity of the nation. That the education standards have dropped so alarmingly is undoubtedly state-culpability but the bigger issue is a lack of self discipline, something the nanny state has allowed.

As for pharma and the foodchain, that's just plain old corruption, albeit aided and facilitated by the state. There is an argument that the doctors prescribing statins to adults and anti-depressants to kids should be shot but even here, it's a cultural system that has been engineered at the expense of the health and well being of the people. Diabetes earns too much for them to want to find a cure/better solution, that's a fucking crime in this day and age.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #345 on: November 22, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
the bigger issue is a lack of self discipline, something the nanny state has allowed.

I don't understand what you mean by that? Are you suggesting that by regulating rather than educating that people need the physical barrier (banning betting etc) proscribed rather than being taught it or learning through experience? I struggle a little with the "nanny state" tag as I've never really been sure what it's supposed to mean - it seems like a bit of a catch-all to me. What would you say is the nanny state approach to gambling for instance? How does that approach result in increased stupidity of the average gambler? How does it prevent the state from introducing proper gambling regulation (or is it used as deflection whilst allowing the industry to do whatever the fuck its donations pay for)?

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #346 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »
Self discipline? The biggest influence on success or failure, in most things.

Nanny state? No winners or losers at schools. No competition. No punishments. "Empowering" the kids. Flexible learning. Flexible working. Less and less responsibility. All wanting something for nothing. Not prepared to graft for it. Celebrity culture, albeit Z list.

I don't even have an approach to gambling, far less a nanny state approach. It is what it is. The fools are getting parted from their money. It was ever thus. Good that they're looking into it but castigating Mrs Coates or whatever her name is for seeing the future and making shedloads out of it shouldn't be the focus, even if it is a symptom. It is tall poppy syndrome all over again.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #347 on: November 22, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Self discipline? The biggest influence on success or failure, in most things.

What about collective self-discipline? What if your self-discipline requires the lack of self-discipline of others in order for it to be a success? What if the system defines success as "diseases cured", "species saved" or "help given" rather than "£s collected"?

Nanny state? No winners or losers at schools. No competition. No punishments. "Empowering" the kids. Flexible learning. Flexible working. Less and less responsibility.

Winners at what? What is there to win? Being best at remembering Kings like Gove? Or best at being a little cunt like I was? Punishment for what? And to what end? What I remember are punishments for not wearing the correct uniform, for talking back to the teacher or for asking questions. Let not pretend that schoool was ever anything more than a "sit down and do as your told" place to put kids while their parents went to work.

All wanting something for nothing. Not prepared to graft for it.

I agree with them. What the fuck should we need to graft for and why (I mean really graft, 5-7 days per week)? Housing, food, travel, health are all just badly managed supply and demand - we have enough for everyone. Why should a chilld born today have to fuck about with these trivialities which should be stuff that they just have as a right? Perhaps if they had these things as a default then they wouldn't be pissing about on betting sites trying to make their thousands on that one perfect bet. Perhaps if they weren't chasing that dream then Bet365 wifie wouldn't have the upper hand on them as a default because they'd focus on actual stuff with the freedom to do what they wanted.

Celebrity culture, albeit Z list.

I don't even have an approach to gambling, far less a nanny state approach. It is what it is. The fools are getting parted from their money. It was ever thus. Good that they're looking into it but castigating Mrs Coates or whatever her name is for seeing the future and making shedloads out of it shouldn't be the focus, even if it is a symptom. It is tall poppy syndrome all over again.

Agreed. She's playing the system by the system's rules. If she didn't, then Bet365 wouldn't be Bet365.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #348 on: November 22, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
1. What about collective self-discipline? What if your self-discipline requires the lack of self-discipline of others in order for it to be a success? What if the system defines success as "diseases cured", "species saved" or "help given" rather than "£s collected"?

2. Winners at what? What is there to win? Being best at remembering Kings like Gove? Or best at being a little cunt like I was? Punishment for what? And to what end? What I remember are punishments for not wearing the correct uniform, for talking back to the teacher or for asking questions. Let not pretend that schoool was ever anything more than a "sit down and do as your told" place to put kids while their parents went to work.

3. I agree with them. What the fuck should we need to graft for and why (I mean really graft, 5-7 days per week)? Housing, food, travel, health are all just badly managed supply and demand - we have enough for everyone. Why should a chilld born today have to fuck about with these trivialities which should be stuff that they just have as a right? Perhaps if they had these things as a default then they wouldn't be pissing about on betting sites trying to make their thousands on that one perfect bet. Perhaps if they weren't chasing that dream then Bet365 wifie wouldn't have the upper hand on them as a default because they'd focus on actual stuff with the freedom to do what they wanted.

1. Me no understand.

2. Winning at school sports isn't considered healthy these days. Participating is the only goal. I don't know if schoolteachers have noticed but life is actually quite competitive in the real world.

Punishment for not complying. I loved school so I find it very sad how you portrayed your experience of it. Maybe the schoolteachers you had were ALL shite (although I can't imagine that) but not shite enough in their own heads to ask for a 10% pay rise in the news today.

3. Sardonic. Or maybe ironic. No, sarcastic is probably closer.

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #349 on: November 22, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
I agree with them. What the fuck should we need to graft for and why (I mean really graft, 5-7 days per week)? Housing, food, travel, health are all just badly managed supply and demand - we have enough for everyone. Why should a chilld born today have to fuck about with these trivialities which should be stuff that they just have as a right?

A right ?

Fraid not min

A roof over your head and food on the table should be achievable but they're not a right.

The vast amount of work done in this country produces fuck all ( a mistake which will definitely come back to haunt us) but these things still have to be worked for.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #350 on: November 22, 2018, 05:11:41 PM »
A right ?

Fraid not min

A roof over your head and food on the table should be achievable but they're not a right.

The vast amount of work done in this country produces fuck all ( a mistake which will definitely come back to haunt us) but these things still have to be worked for.

If they're in surplus then why shouldn't they be a right? Yes, worked for, but graft? For what reason? If the building(s) itself already exists, then what does that graft add? If the vast amount of work done in this country (and many countries) produces fuck all, and if - by recognising this - we dispense of it, then what graft is there to do? Surely most graft these days - my graft, certainly - just produces unnecessary emissions working for a company that produces unnecessary emissions. I'd argue that the only way we'll ever solve the issue of climate change is to remove the unnecessary work and the unnecessary production. That'll involve making access to food and housing a human right. 

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #351 on: November 22, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »
That'll involve making access to food and housing a human right.

Access to food and shelter is available to all.

Just GIVING it to people makes no sense.

Sloth is a deadly sin and the entitlement culture is an ugly thing, whether spoilt-by-their-parents brats or talented people who get used to their arses being kicked lasciviously.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #352 on: November 22, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
Access to food and shelter is available to all.

I suspect the 350K homeless in the UK would have something to say about just how accessible that is.

Just GIVING it to people makes no sense.

Sloth is a deadly sin and the entitlement culture is an ugly thing, whether spoilt-by-their-parents brats or talented people who get used to their arses being kicked lasciviously.

Indeed, just giving it to people makes perfect sense. The current system allows me to own multiple houses (I don't) and rent them to poorer people at a profit with no additional effort required. Those poorer people work far harder to pay that rent + tidy profit than me, the owner, because the overwhelming majority want to work and do something. Unqestionably. It's a simple case of arithmetic, where the number of UK houses exceed the number of UK citizens requiring housed, ergo we could decide quite easily to ensure that everyone has one.

Throughout the entire history of humans people have been entitled to a living space without paying for it, the notion of land and home ownership is very recent. It's nothing to do with entitlement as a trait, it's simply a case of saying that people shouldn't have to make monetary payment in order to live a basic life. Giving people the fall back and freedom to choose what they can do to improve society rather than just how they can exploit others for the most gain could see massive returns. If folk want to sit at home and be sloths and not involve themselves in society, who gives a fuck? It won't make mine or your lives any worse. If everyone is entitled then there is no entitlement, just something that is.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #353 on: November 22, 2018, 09:20:48 PM »
Like the cut of your thrust Rico min. I think Corbyn would make a better PM than anybody else in our lifetimes but you make him look like a capitalist cunt. Loving your sentiments despite not being able to do the maths presently  :thumbsup:

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
« Reply #354 on: November 22, 2018, 11:28:14 PM »
I think Corbyn would make a better PM than anybody else in our lifetimes but you make him look like a capitalist cunt.

Fucking right. I'm actually a free marketer if anything, it's just that I believe that a free market isn't free unless your free not to participate. Free from advertising, cronyism etc. That means that yer basic human rights need to be provided so that you can't be coerced into buying shite you don't need, you have to genuinely want something because it's fucking good or it's an activity you love. The basic problems of housing, food, travel, education etc should have been solved long ago and we should concentrating on advancements and enhancements now. Our existing economy isn't fit for that purpose. Corbyn is a capitalist. He's a social democrat. He won't solve climate change, he won't solve resource depletion, he won't solve species extinction, he won't solve air pollution. He will keep a car battery factory in Sunderland open, re-instate an inefficient nationalised rail network and he'll be a lot nicer than the current fuckers, but in ten years we'll (not me) be voting those fuckers back in again because "immigrants" or some shite.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #355 on: November 23, 2018, 01:14:14 AM »
Rock on Rico  :thumbsup:

The state of the oceans is probably the biggest blight on humanity in my lifetime.

And all the new European power stations being built by the Chinese, and powered by coal seems total nonsense to my inexpert mind. Surely some of you oil twats will have an opinion?

There was a question about the bet365 wifie on Question Time tonight. Now that is a free market - and it was good that there wasn't the same outrage on what she paid herself as I had heard elsewhere - but it was suggested that the company is registered in Gibraltar. Does anyone know the implications of betting companies being registered on the rock particularly?

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #356 on: November 23, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
Corbyn is a cunt.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #357 on: November 23, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #358 on: November 23, 2018, 09:13:16 AM »
^^^^ This

Is that your opinion - both of you - or that of the media?

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #359 on: November 23, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »
Oh, it's my opinion.

Just a left wing little Englander instead of a right wing little Englander.

But rather than embark on a very long tirade I'll just say he's a cunt.