Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Coldstream vs Celtic Friendly 2002 - Where Are They Now??????

I as a hobby used to report on Coldstream East of Scotland Premier League side for The Berwickshire News.  They played a friendly in 2002 against a Celtic XI and lost 6-0 at Home Park. 

Was doing some spring cleaning in flat earlier in week and came across the Celtic team sheet which was given to me!

What did these guys go and do in the 21 years since?  You'll know so many of them.

Celtic 2002.jpg

Coldstream are in the 2nd division of East of Scotland league these days. Same division as Peebles Rovers. Borders teams used do well in East of Scotland league but over last few years, Gala aside, they have all slipped down the pyramid. Hawick now in bottom tier (3rd division) and Vale Leithen have suffered back to back relegations. Borders football seems to be in a bit of a slump. 

5 hours ago, manc_don said:

Prunty 😂

Fuck, we had some really shite forwards around the time he was with us

Laurent D'Jaffo, Leigh Hinds, David Zdrillic and of course Dazzler.

Feel free to fill in any blanks if the aforementioned haven't fired them all 😉

Little story about Coldstream's Scottish Cup run in 2000-01.

They beat Glasgow University 5-2 (H) and Vale of Leithen 2-1 (A) in a replay (0-0 at Home Park) when preliminary rounds didn't have as many teams trying to make main draw.

Got a bye into 2nd Round proper where they'd get winners of Brechin City and Forfar Athletic at Home Park.

Lost to Brechin City 6-2 where ex-St.Johnstone striker Roddy Grant got two one in off his backside he knew nothing about.  A driver instructor through the week Lee Bailey got the other four goals.

Future Aberdeen goalkeeper Derek Soutar fumbled a shot while in the net for Glebe Park club and my childhood friend Steven Shennan grabbed himself a goal in National Cup from rebound.

Brechin City then drew Rangers at Ibrox next round and lost 2-0.  I can't imagine being at the Glasgow side's stadium and having to report on some of my high school friends and some of the older guys I'd really got close to over three years.

However Dick Campbell Brechin City's manager at time was so impressed by Coldstream's hospitality throughout the day for such a small amateur outfit that he returned to Coldstream and gave Brechin's gate receipts for our tie against them (around £30,000) to Coldstream's chairman Gerald Tait because they'd earned a bigger pot being at Ibrox.

15 hours ago, Jute said:

Coldstream are in the 2nd division of East of Scotland league these days. Same division as Peebles Rovers. Borders teams used do well in East of Scotland league but over last few years, Gala aside, they have all slipped down the pyramid. Hawick now in bottom tier (3rd division) and Vale Leithen have suffered back to back relegations. Borders football seems to be in a bit of a slump. 

Selkirk went burst as well did they not?

7 hours ago, scotfree said:

Selkirk went burst as well did they not?

They did after one of board members allegedly did a bunk with money. 

Kelso United and Duns have both withdrawn from East of Scotland League in recent years as well with both teams now playing in the Borders Amateur leagues now. 

7 hours ago, SeeBass said:

Duns did the treble last season.  Very unlucky not to do the quadruple after losing a third Cup Final.

Was hoping Duns might have applied to rejoin the East of Scotland league this season but if they are being successful in the Borders Amateurs can see why they are happy staying where they are. 

6 hours ago, BigAl said:

I mind when Selkirk lost 20-0 to Stirling Albion in the Scottish Cup in the mid eighties 😉

1984-1985 season. I remembered we get put out in the semi-replay against Dundee Utd that year. 👀 For some reason, I have a memory of the replay being played at Tynecastle in a late game. If it's the game I'm thinking of I had a chance of getting to the match but It was a school night. 😁 I was 14.