Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Kevin Van Veen Goalscoring Record

Just wondered what you guys think of Mr Van Veen netting for a record setting eleventh straight league game in top flight?  Is it that the division is crap or fair play to the guy?

I'm taking he has broken a Henrik Larsson milestone? 

It's a fantastic record. He's clearly been playing some great stuff and it's definitely merited. Any cunt can score for either cheek, it's impressive to do it so consistently with shite like Motherwell. I expect he'll break that record with the dons next season.

Some going to have broken a record like that for a team outside the Glasgow bigots. Think it was Viduka’s record he broke.

However prior to this season most he had got in a season was 9 so agree with Orlando that Van Veen is not one we should be looking at. 

On 29/05/2023 at 23:51, OrlandoDon said:

Guy has had a very good season but hopefully we’ve learned our lesson with Curtis main and JET, plus in duk and miovski we’ve learned that scouting and looking can get us something better. 

On 30/05/2023 at 07:00, Jute said:

Some going to have broken a record like that for a team outside the Glasgow bigots. Think it was Viduka’s record he broke.

However prior to this season most he had got in a season was 9 so agree with Orlando that Van Veen is not one we should be looking at. 

Strange views dudes.  The guy has scored 29 goals in 44 games but let's not sign him in case he might not score any next season? 🙄 Was it not just a couple of seasons ago that most of our support were wanking off over Louis Moult, who at the same club managed 15 goals in his very best season?

The Curtain Main and JET comparisons are very unfair on the lad, it's like comparing Zander Diamond to Willie Miller.  

• Haha 1

For me looking at his previous seasons it’s looks very much like this is a one off good season. Prior to this year best he had was 9 and most seasons less than that. Fact he is 32 would also put me off. Pretty sure we could get someone better and younger.

4 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Strange views dudes.  The guy has scored 29 goals in 44 games but let's not sign him in case he might not score any next season? 🙄 Was it not just a couple of seasons ago that most of our support were wanking off over Louis Moult, who at the same club managed 15 goals in his very best season?

The Curtain Main and JET comparisons are very unfair on the lad, it's like comparing Zander Diamond to Willie Miller.  

Moult would have been an excellent signing at the time we needed him. He'd likely have got us into the group stages in Europe and the final of the league cup too. Just by not being Nicky Maynard. That he spent the rest of his career injured was neither here nor there. It was all about timing with Moult though, we had already won our first leg against Apollon and he was a guy on peak form and ready to slot straight in. Van Veen is slightly different because we've got the whole summer to consider a move. I think we could do better, but we could also do a lot worse, and likely will. The difficulty won't be whether he can replicate this season's form, but whether he can cope with being a bit-part player in and out of the team as second choice to Miovski. It's clear his fitness has vastly improved this season and that's offered him another half yard of pace too which is the difference - he's always been an intelligent player that plays on the shoulder and uses his body well. I think that as a like for like replacement for Miovski in what will be a busy season I think he'd be a great signing. However, he won't offer us anything different from the bench, which is what we often need when trying to break teams down at home. As you say, he's not remotely comparable to Main or Jet. I'd be concerned that he'd come and be benched and start not enjoying his football to the extent that his confidence goes. He does seem to be a confidence player. 

He's obviously done very well but I would also be underwhelmed at signing him. I think if we had been in the bottom six there is a good chance Duk and Miovski would have added more to there seasons tally. I've seen it too many times where we see a player scoring goals for other teams and we sign them and they just don't replicate it for us. Being that he's 32 which is not exactly in his prime makes it a no go for me.