Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Darren Mowbray

28 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Off to Southampton

Fuck sake

Hope our summer signing plans are well under way 🤞

Might explain why we are back signing bang average players like Devlin. 

ETA wonder how long until Southampton bid for Duk and Miovski. 

He's had some hits and some misses but I don't think Stewart was one of his failures though, I remember Goodwin saying he was a player he identified when at St mirren.

Regardless it will be interesting to see how the club responds.  Burrows has impressed well enough so far but he's got an unenviable task here given how bad a time it is to be losing his services. 

I’d hope the targets have well and truly been identified but I guess that’s only part of the battle. Disappointing, seemed to be building a bit of a head of steam with some of the signings this season. Hopefully we have someone that can spot the magic in the database.

2 hours ago, manc_don said:

I’d hope the targets have well and truly been identified but I guess that’s only part of the battle. Disappointing, seemed to be building a bit of a head of steam with some of the signings this season. Hopefully we have someone that can spot the magic in the database.

Was at a club event last night and Burrows said they were well down the road with targets for this season. He also said that Mowbray has put in place a structure that means the club is more resilient to him leaving. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jute said:

Might explain why we are back signing bang average players like Devlin. 

ETA wonder how long until Southampton bid for Duk and Miovski. 

As compared to morris Richardson coulson markanday Stewart myslovic Roberts etc.?

no clue what this guy does to be fair, so not sure if a replacement will be any better or worse.

9 hours ago, DantheDon said:

Bit of a nightmare scenario really. Cant imagine any gems hes uncovered dont end up on southamptons radar. 

Nah, don't agree with that DantheDon.  Those teams at the top end of the Championship are spending millions on players and operating at a totally different level to us.  The clubs relegated from the english premier get about £30M for a couple of seasons after dropping down.  They are not going to be targeting the same players as the Dons.  I suspect they will also pull in a fortune by selling the likes of Ward-Prowse. 

13 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Nah, don't agree with that DantheDon.  Those teams at the top end of the Championship are spending millions on players and operating at a totally different level to us.  The clubs relegated from the english premier get about £30M for a couple of seasons after dropping down.  They are not going to be targeting the same players as the Dons.  I suspect they will also pull in a fortune by selling the likes of Ward-Prowse. 

I agree. If you look at our "prized" signings in Duk and Miovski for example, they wouldn't get near the Southampton team. They're at the Dons to get lots of game time and to advance their potential to the point that they might get signed by someone like Southampton. It's not impossible, but very unlikely that we'll be picking up a player with the ability to walk straight into a Southampton team. They'll only come from our youth setup or on loan from an EPL team (thus not our player anyway). Duk might be in the place where a bigger team would take a punt on him in the summer (he's the type of guy that the scum would nullify by signing and benching, but I'd like to think players would see through that these days), but he's still got a lot that he can learn positionally and about how he brings others into the game which he could do at the Dons. I'd hope someone like Mowbray could see that the Dons have a fairly vital role to play in developing players, and that he'd try and retain connections with the club in some capacity. I use to think that us being a stepping stone to English clubs was embarrassing and insulting (especially as we are a bigger club than pish like Southampton!), but given that the game in the UK is generally some pathetic number-wang exercise (see the amazing achievements of Man City's wallet) completely unrelated to sporting merit, I'm okay with it these days. We are where we are.

Mowbray strikes me as the type that would be quite managerial anyway, rather than a guy with an eye for a player. Hopefully whatever structures he's put in place can be retained and improved upon.