Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

I'd guess Aluko will go back to Birmingham a better player due to his experience with us, so maybe Mcleish would be happy to send some more promising youngsters up for a season on loan.  It's a good idea to have a couple of kids on loan but as the old cliche says, you need a good mix of youth and experience.  As you rightly point out, it's not as if there are lots of Aberdeen youngsters bangin' on the first team door.

As CtS says, you need some older heads to nurture the youth so they have someone to learn off of and aspire to.  A team full of loan signings might be good in the way that we'll have 11 players wanting to impress and actually good enough to go onto better things.  But that's not too far off of the Dundee model when they were in the SPL and paying 11 mercinaries to come in and do the job.

But I'm pleased that we have the Premiership loan signings as they'll serve two purposes.  They'll show the youth what they can achieve if they get their heads down and they'll also show the older lads that they can't rest on their laurels and a bunch of kids can impress just as much.

They provide the perfect link between the two age groups and we can only benefit from them playing in our team or perhaps nicking one on a cheap signing.

But I'm pleased that we have the Premiership loan signings as they'll serve two purposes.  They'll show the youth what they can achieve if they get their heads down and they'll also show the older lads that they can't rest on their laurels and a bunch of kids can impress just as much.

They provide the perfect link between the two age groups and we can only benefit from them playing in our team or perhaps nicking one on a cheap signing.

Sensible (world of soccer!!) chat.. ;D

While I'd rather that we had a load of youngsters breaking into the 1st team... unfortunately, that is not the case.

In the short term, I think that given the current squad 'levels' I'd rather a loan aka. Aluko/Walker rather than a Duff...

Long term however, AFC needs to develop young players or we're fucked!!

I would rather we did what Hibs and Falkirk have done, both clubs have looked for young players who havent made the grade in the prem or reserves and have been let go by the clubs so they can sign him. This way if the lad turns out to be a success then you can make some cash ( an alien concept to aberdeen) when he goes back to england.

There are players there to be found and with europe (hopefully) we have a good chance of attracting a player against the lure of big money in the championship.

How far up the league do you think we could finish with a squad loaded with English Premiershit loan players?

how far do you think we'd get with a team full of them?

Are we Hearts? No.

I have no problem with a few players like Aluko or Walker, farmed out by Premiership clubs to come up and do a turn.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Good players though they are, Walker hasn't started a game for a month and Aluko is still effectively a fringe player.

I think we'd be bottom 6 for sure.

Good players though they are, Walker hasn't started a game for a month and Aluko is still effectively a fringe player.

If Aluko was to be here next season I think he'd be a regular starter given the experience that he's gained this season.

I think Aluko would have started damn fewer games had Smith been fit.

Aluko though has proven to be the one guy likely to do something a bit different, much less one dimensional than the rest of the team, wi the possible exception of Miller.

I would rather we did what Hibs and Falkirk have done, both clubs have looked for young players who havent made the grade in the prem or reserves and have been let go by the clubs so they can sign him. This way if the lad turns out to be a success then you can make some cash ( an alien concept to aberdeen) when he goes back to england.

There are players there to be found and with europe (hopefully) we have a good chance of attracting a player against the lure of big money in the championship.

Just because they've been on Premiership books doesn't automatically make them better.

Ben Thornely anyone?

:hammer: