Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Forward Thinking

Strike A Pose!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite ever striking duo? Not necessarily the best!

• Mark McGhee & Eric Black.
    • Duncan Shearer & Billy Dodds.
    • Lee Miller & Darren Mackie.
    • Christian Ramirez & Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
    • Hichim Zerouali & Arild Stavrum.
    • Eoin Jess & Scott Booth.
    • Adam Rooney & David Goodwillie.
    • Samuel Cosgrove & Stevie May.
    • Bojan Miovski & Duk.
    • Joe Harper & Drew Jarvie.

For crying out loud lads this was something I did for a laugh not to be taken seriously!!  We're not picking a Hall of Fame inductee or anything.  

So Charlie Nicholas and Hans Gillhaus may not be on the list and Stevie May, David Goodwillie, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas may not float everybody's boat but you lot just give me further evidence as to why I goto games on my own. 

Honestly just don't get our supporters in modern day sphere.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SeeBass said:

For crying out loud lads this was something I did for a laugh not to be taken seriously!!  We're not picking a Hall of Fame inductee or anything.  

So Charlie Nicholas and Hans Gillhaus may not be on the list and Stevie May, David Goodwillie, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas may not float everybody's boat but you lot just give me further evidence as to why I goto games on my own. 

I think for any future polls about anything the old donstalk traditional options of 'Brown' and 'Dolly is ginger' must be included otherwise it cant be taken seriously

12 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Lee Miller and Steve Lovell, thought that was going to be a dream front line but just didn’t really pan out that way…

Agreed but Jimmy never tried them together long enough. Was either Miller and Mackie,or Lovell and flippin Mackie,rarely Miller/Lovell for some reason 

Harper/Archibald

Tie for 2nd place

Shearer/Paatelainen v Miovski/Duk

Edited by Elgindon

10 hours ago, SeeBass said:

SeeBass, quite the opposite, I think you created a good thread! Good fun discussion/debate, and bit of reminiscing, and a bit of fun. We’ve had some quality up top and some shite, and it’s fun hearing people’s opinions. Pub/game chat that would be friendly banter were we all in person! 

• Like 3

On 08/04/2023 at 15:24, Madbadteacher said:

Frankie was the closest we ever got to King Joey. I honestly believe if he hadn’t been injured Frankie would have beaten Joey’s goal record 

Frankie was amazing striker. As a kid watching him it seemed everything he touched went in the net. 

18 hours ago, SeeBass said:

As Orlando has said great thread that has generated a bit of friendly debate and brought back some good memories.

Okay other than Lauren D'Jaffo and Leigh Hinds who bring back no good memories whatsoever. 

Kinda changing the topic slightly, but was Jess better as a striker or midfielder?

In his early years he was a striker. I actually think he was a striker when playing in the English top flight at Bradford.

But I remember him more in midfield in the mid-90s, maybe by necessity as we had an abundance of forwards.

One thing I always thought - and thank fuck it never happened - but if Jess had put himself ahead of the Dons he probably should have signed for Dick Advocaat's Rangers and landed himself league titles and played in the Champions League. He would have excelled in that team with the players he had around him. But again where would he have played - midfield or striker?

Scary thought, but thankfully he didn't go. Just wish we hadn't done the whole Alex Miller experiment and he wouldn't have wasted his best years basically having to keep us up. Him and Craig Hignett could have really done something special together too.

13 hours ago, Panda said:

Kinda changing the topic slightly, but was Jess better as a striker or midfielder?

In his early years he was a striker. I actually think he was a striker when playing in the English top flight at Bradford.

But I remember him more in midfield in the mid-90s, maybe by necessity as we had an abundance of forwards.

One thing I always thought - and thank fuck it never happened - but if Jess had put himself ahead of the Dons he probably should have signed for Dick Advocaat's Rangers and landed himself league titles and played in the Champions League. He would have excelled in that team with the players he had around him. But again where would he have played - midfield or striker?

Scary thought, but thankfully he didn't go. Just wish we hadn't done the whole Alex Miller experiment and he wouldn't have wasted his best years basically having to keep us up. Him and Craig Hignett could have really done something special together too.

He said that he really did not have a good time when at Rangers (deceased) as a youngster so going there was never an option for him. I always thought he was better suited to role behind the main striker rather than out and out forward. 

I was just reading another article about miovski and Duk and proposed value.

Now I'm maybe being harsh because I've never rated the guy but miovski to me is little more than competent.

He's no better than Watkins really. Rarely scores from open play and his hold up is poor ( although looks to be improving since Jim left )

I'd take Cosgrove back in a heartbeat to replace him 

Duk however will be a club legend and I don't expect him to be here next year. Provided the right money comes in.  It just bugs me how miovski is being talked up. Clearly Dave after another sale.

I can't be the only one?

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Miovski is a far better player than Watkins. Movement is excellent and he regularly moves defenders to create space for Duk. 

Exactly. He's a conventional number 9. He's also being doing okay with his hold up play since Goodwin went. He's a very good team player, with a great understanding of where to move. There are signs of late that the two are forming a partnership, and Miovski is integral to that. Duk's game intelligence, or lack of, is what will put some teams off that would otherwise take a punt on him. Together they're doing well, especially in the two rather than with Duk out wide. Miovski has been unlucky not to get a goal in the last couple of games after being in good positions. 

5 hours ago, redordead said:

I was just reading another article about miovski and Duk and proposed value.

Now I'm maybe being harsh because I've never rated the guy but miovski to me is little more than competent.

He's no better than Watkins really. Rarely scores from open play and his hold up is poor ( although looks to be improving since Jim left )

I'd take Cosgrove back in a heartbeat to replace him 

Duk however will be a club legend and I don't expect him to be here next year. Provided the right money comes in.  It just bugs me how miovski is being talked up. Clearly Dave after another sale.

I can't be the only one?

Sorry bud, I think you are very wrong. Miovski is a very good player. Started well but in a new team with a new manager it wasn’t going to be a smooth ride. Then we had the World Cup and the goodwin fiasco, but overall for a young player coming to a foreign league he’s done well. He’s quick, reads the game well, good hold up player, and a finisher. If we can keep him past the summer I think he’ll have an even better season next year. Saying that I can see him going to England if the money is right, duk too.

• Like 1