Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs McInnes

McInnes returns to pittodrie with killie this weekend. They obviously did us a huge solid by beating Hearts last weekend but their form has generally been pretty woeful. Especially from home.

Really shouldn’t have much to fear from them if we continue to play (saints game aside) the way we have under Robson et al. hopefully Duk has had some much needed rest, couldn’t have been easy coming back from a long journey and having to play there.

Do we see Miovski drop to the bench for this one with Watkins coming in? We know how they’ll set up, as McInnes will want to be compact so we’ll need quick and good passers. Suspect this will be another tight game, possibly won by Clarkson. 

out

bed

bed

bed

1-0, Clarkson 

The one thing I worry about with Robson (well someone had to be negative) is he doesn't stray much from his favoured starting line-up. If fit they play (which was something McInnes did often).

Shinnie's suspension forces a change there, but while Miovski's recent form would merit him being dropped I'd be surprised if he didn't start.

I'm not exactly proposing massive changes, but Barron (if fit) in for Shinnie and Watkins in for Miovski would be my picks. Could quite possibly have Hayes in for Shinnie centrally with Coulson at left-wing back.

Hopefully St Mirren take their performance against Livingston to Tynecastle and we can get ourselves into third.

8 hours ago, Panda said:

The one thing I worry about with Robson (well someone had to be negative) is he doesn't stray much from his favoured starting line-up. If fit they play (which was something McInnes did often).

Shinnie's suspension forces a change there, but while Miovski's recent form would merit him being dropped I'd be surprised if he didn't start.

I'm not exactly proposing massive changes, but Barron (if fit) in for Shinnie and Watkins in for Miovski would be my picks. Could quite possibly have Hayes in for Shinnie centrally with Coulson at left-wing back.

Hopefully St Mirren take their performance against Livingston to Tynecastle and we can get ourselves into third.

I thought Miovski was one of our best players against St Johnstone. His movement was really good and he won nearly every header. Duk was the one off form (unsurprising given his travels during the week). It was noticeable that Hayes was the only one gambling on flick ons from Miovski. I don't think that was tactical, more that Duk wasn't get close to him when the ball was going long. I suspect that the reason Duk is with us is because of this. He offers little in terms of a partnership and so it ends up them both playing two separate games almost. I feel a bit sorry for Miovski really, as he tends to do most things as you'd expect, making really intelligent runs, then Duk turns up with some frustratingly stupid bit of play that ends in him losing the ball, before winning it back, nutmegging someone and then belting it in the top corner. It's like he's cheating. 

Watkins should definitely be getting more game time, but I think it would be harsh on Miovski this week. In terms of starting with the same team, it's exactly what we need at the moment in my opinion. Our squad isn't great, with Duncan and Watkins (probably Coulson, depending on which one turned up) the only two that would improve us during a game. We're limited in the shapes we can play with two strikers on the pitch. I think it's no coincidence that we've been much more solid since keeping Duk away from defending and going to a back three. 

It'll be interesting with Shinnie out though. We've been playing with Clarkson deep and Shinnie and Ramadani chasing everything down. I don't think Barron suits that at all, but I think he'll stick with it. I'd be tempted to play Ramadani and Barron holding with Clarkson in front. Even though Clarkson has been really good of late, I think he can play better further forward than Barron can playing left of a three, and I think that the latter is more of a detriment to the team as a whole. That, in my mind, is where we'll see if Robson is different to McInnes, rather than personnel selection.

Think Scales and Coulson did well together last time they were in the same side(Motherwell?). Coulsons got more tricks up his sleeve than Jonny for a stuffy defence like Killie.Stick with Duk and Miovski first half and get Watkins on second if one of them not cutting it. 

In

Mainer(very few tickets left)

Prediction - Killie played well last w/e,take a scrappy 2 - 1 win.  Miovski back on track x2

• Like 1

Agree with Rico that Miovski played well on Saturday and should keep his place. I would think it has to Baron to replace Shinnie as we have nobody else. Hopefully a better game to watch that Saturday’s but suspect it won’t be. 

In

Train then pub

Y

Meal with in laws then last train back to capital

1-0 Clarkson

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Local rag suggesting that Shinnie not suspended for this one, but the next. It's a toss up between which is preferable, an away game without Shinnie is probably harder, but it gives us the best chance of keeping our run going.

The rules say he's suspended, so I'm going with that. 

Good solid performance, never in doubt. Great at the back and Clarkson kept things ticking in the middle, always looking for the quick pass forward. Duk and Miovski were really good together today, frustrating that Miovski didn't finish one of his chances, but his movement was great all day and worked really hard. Duk was just great. Duncan did okay, but things didn't come off for him in the good areas unfortunately. Hayes was excellent today, just didn't stop running. Bavidge looked good when he came on, and I expect we'll see a bit more of him.

Good result,healthy crowd and Hearts continuing to fall apart,not a bad afternoon. Some good passages of play along with spells of untidy stuff.Duk and Miovski Linked up better than of late. Duncan wasn't far off the pace,but made a mixture of poor choices and clumsy passes which you'd hope would improve with a run of games.Got the attributes of a good player.

Nobody brilliant but Hayes,Miovski ,Duk and Clarkson all good. Roos,dodgy kicking aside, made some important saves.Like to think we can get more out of them before the season ends

Had to leave at 4.30 just before Bavidge came on,sounds like he didn't look out of place? Hopefully means we see more of him

• Like 1