Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Mention In A Cup Winners Cup Video.

Think just one look at the quarter final line-up in 83 shows how strong the competition was.

Real Madrid

Barcelona

Internazionale

Bayern Munich

PSG

Austria Vienna

Waterschei

And the Dandies.

Barcelona the holders from 82. Juventus would win it 84.

By 99 it wasn't the same because of the Champions League expansion, but before 1992 no-one was underestimating it.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Think just one look at the quarter final line-up in 83 shows how strong the competition was.

Real Madrid

Barcelona

Internazionale

Bayern Munich

PSG

Austria Vienna

Waterschei

And the Dandies.

Barcelona the holders from 82. Juventus would win it 84.

By 99 it wasn't the same because of the Champions League expansion, but before 1992 no-one was underestimating it.

That’s crazy, and sad at the same time. And in 84 we should have beaten Porto to return to the final. Couldn’t imagine us being one of the best teams in Europe these days. If I recall, weren’t we close to signing boniek from juve. Fair comparison would be like us signing modric maybe??

Would need to check stats but do wonder if prior to the advent of TV money if it was less common for the champions of the various euro leagues to also win their countries main cup competition (ie 'the double, or trebles) therby qualification for the ECWC had more status.

Its demise was well underway when i got interested in footie but i do remeber thinking it was 'cheap' for the scottish cup runners up to get into it but then again Ive always thought it is 'cheap' for the majority of teams im the champions league to not be actual champions and in some cases to never have even won their domestic leagues.

I did only skim through that video but the section with the dons in it is fairly patronising and dare i say it ignorant of world football at the time. Dynamo Tblissi were one of the better teams in the USSR and had knocked liverpool out of the european cup only a couple of years before.

Of course that doesnt fit into the 'underdog' narrative

Just been reading up on the Dinamo Tbilisi run and I see the guy who scored winner in Final was met with a tragic ending only a year later aged 25.  This is why I personally love European football.  There are so many stories good and bad to read about even from years ago.

I've been intrigued by the Kosovan side Ballkani who reached Europa Conference League Group Stage this season and more than held their own against Slavia Prague, Cluj, Sivasspor.

Much prefer these kind of tales than Champions League nonsense which bores me to tears nowadays with the same teams constantly playing each other.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitaly_Daraselia

2 hours ago, SeeBass said:

Just been reading up on the Dinamo Tbilisi run and I see the guy who scored winner in Final was met with a tragic ending only a year later aged 25This is why I personally love European football.

Very touching tribute there seabass..

You didn't highlight the rest of the passage Panda.  I'm genuinely interested in the lives some of these players from yesteryear had either after retirement or during their career.  The whole Dinamo Tbilisi front three were all dead before 56 years of age.  That is pretty sad!