Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The current squad

Bunch of folks saying that the new manager has a hell of a job on his hands, didn’t really see it that way, but then again when you dig deeper maybe so. I do feel we have some talent plus I do think he’ll be given some funds so it’s not all doom and gloom. I think we have a bunch of dross needing moved on but I do think we’ve got a squad to build on…but not much.

roos is no upgrade on Lewis, we have an average keeper whoever starts. Upgrade would help.

defensively we are really weak. Richardson and stewart are not good enough to start for us, scales and coulson are loanees, Mackenzie is a decent youngster. Hard to judge scales given the shit season but tough to justify paying significant funds for him at present. Mccrorie is probably our right back but major defensive improvements needed. Saying all this, give confidence to back 4 of mccrorie stewart scales and Mackenzie and I don’t think that’s too bad.

ramadani and shinnie are a solid central pair, sign shinnie permanently and make him captain. No clue if Barron is any good, and no clue if he wants to stay. Other than that we have no legit starting midfielders and that’s depressing. I’d like to see roberts given a decent run to see if he’s capable. With what we have currently  clarkson is our 10 but he’s a short term rental. No clue of the new guy.

miovski is a good player, would love to see him play with quality around him. Duk is raw talent with low intelligence. they aren’t a front two. No clue how or where we play duk, he has speed and can score, but he’s such a selfish player I’d hate to play with or coach him. Yes he scores but the vast majority of the time he loses the ball. He’s our first attacking guy off the bench if you as me.

Hope we bring in a new manager with experience and transfer connections. Work to do.

Whoever comes in needs to play the players where they naturally belong. Stewart belongs on the training field. Get a 442 or 433 going. Mcrorie, shinnie, ramadani and either Hayes or Kennedy in the middle. Duk and miovski upfront, with Vinny subbing for one of them. Who in defence though? Scales is good when he isn't also carrying Stewart. We urgently need a new CB and a new RB at the very minimum. Can we get them in before 1st Feb? Doubt it 

Would argue in last two games where Stewart hasn’t played Scales has looked worse. Not a chance we should be giving Victims a penny for him. Bang average at best.

Squad is going to have to be over hauled. A number of players who we have paid fees for are going to have to be moved on with little chance of getting money for them. 

We could be in transition for a very long time.

Not exactly a plethora of players that personally, I would keep.

Roos, Ramadani, Barron, Shinnie, Vinny, Miovski, Duk, Hayes & Duncan.

If they sold the remainder of the squad and promoted the youth, I wouldn't have many complaints. The next manager in is going to have to be a miracle worker in terms of man management and getting the best out of the remainder of the lost causes.

• Like 2

As expected at the start of the season, we've signed 50%, at least, pish, and 10% again are just average players who wouldn't be missed if they left. I'm not sure if we've got the 1 or 2 gems that will go on to better things or not, that might be more clear if we get a run of form. It'll be good to see a new man come in, with no favourites or preconceptions. Players like Ramadani and Scales, I just can't work out. Scales is completely lacking in strength and aggression, which could improve with age (see Considine), but he's not good enough now, and again we've done someone else's development work in a key area of the pitch. Ramadani buzzes around the pitch, and it's taken me a while to realise what I don't like about him. It's the fact that he's so one dimensional. Everything is done at the same pace , he doesn't look up, he charges at our own back line offering stupid one two's that end in the defender being under pressure. He's basically Willow Flood without the tackling. He completely confuses things in that area. Around the time of Flood and Robson, we had Jack coming through, and that's Barron for us. Goodwin kept playing him in that stupid advanced role, because he wanted Ramadani to Flood around in front of the defence. Get him in the two alongside Shinnie and see what he can do. Ramadani is a good backup.

Orlando makes a good point about McKenzie, but he's not young anymore and we need to either play him or ship him. He occupies the middle ground between left back and centre half unfortunately, so for me will only ever be a squad utility to cover both those roles and good to have. In the summer we need to recruit both left back and left centre half (again, as predicted).

Further up the park, we need a left sided player (Hayes or Roberts will do for now), and somebody that can run fast and burn defenders on the right and get the ball in very quickly for Miovski. Duncan will do for now. In the centre of the 4-2-3-1, Clarkson is head and shoulders above anyone there (and in the team really) now, and we hope that one of the existing players like Besuijen, Myslovič or another can come on in games and prove themselves. Kennedy is absolutely fine as a backup anywhere on the right and even in the centre for now until the summer. 

Agree entirely with Orlando about Duk. He's Josh Maggenis with a bit more flare and less aerial ability. He's good if you need someone to run 80 yards with the ball and win a throw-in in a sort of rugby territorial advantage (which is actually fairly valuable against the scum). Unless he can work out a way to play number nine, he's a good sub to have. He can play as part of a two as well, but he should never appear in any role that requires him to track back, so it would only be in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 that he should be played alongside Miovski (and I would advocate that he starts on the bench most of the time).

Morris, Polvara and Richardson should go out on loan now, and not wait until the new manager arrives. If we hadn't paid for them, they should have been terminated (or maybe just their contracts). Longer term, we need rid of Stewart, Kennedy and all the loanees, probably Roberts, Myslovič and Besuijen. McRorie should probably just play a bit part role, covering the various areas that he can sort of play (which could mean he plays every week), and slot in for any failed signings, of which there'll be many more to come. That leaves us an entire back four to sign again in the summer. Shinnie should be signed, Barron kept even if he doesn't accept a new deal, a new right sided player and a number ten.

We're looking at another struggling season again next year I predict.

Edit: I disagree with OD about Roos, I think he's decent. Lewis has been honking since being back. Roos has performed well when you consider the defence that's in front of him.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just stick this in here as too lazy to look to see if he has own thread. Ryan Duncan signs contract extension. 

Good to see as looks a good player. Hopefully see him more often from now until end of season rather than players who won’t be here next season. 

Fantastic news. Looks a great player. Probably not got the legs for 90 minutes yet, he doesn't seem to be able to get up and down as well as others, but hopefully he'll get lots of minutes before the season is out. Thought he might end up leaving for nothing. Would like to see him given a chance on the left to see what he can do there too.

29 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Fantastic news. Looks a great player. Probably not got the legs for 90 minutes yet, he doesn't seem to be able to get up and down as well as others, but hopefully he'll get lots of minutes before the season is out. Thought he might end up leaving for nothing. Would like to see him given a chance on the left to see what he can do there too.

Meant to mention about him being played on left more as well. Although he does well in the inverted role we have been using him in I would like to see him taking on full back and getting crosses in more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Meant to mention about him being played on left more as well. Although he does well in the inverted role we have been using him in I would like to see him taking on full back and getting crosses in more.

In the modern game I would say it's pretty essential to be able to swap wings when you play that kind of role. 

3 hours ago, Jute said:

Just stick this in here as too lazy to look to see if he has own thread. Ryan Duncan signs contract extension. 

Good to see as looks a good player. Hopefully see him more often from now until end of season rather than players who won’t be here next season. 

Great news, he is a real prospect.

Thought for sure he was away in the summer