Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Maybury to sign?

Maybury is free to stay at Aberdeen

Loan star Maybury’s boost for Reds

By Charlie Allan  :wanker:

Published: 28/03/2008

ALAN Maybury is ready to sign on at Aberdeen this summer on a FREE transfer.

The defender has impressed following his January loan move from Leicester City and the Dons are keen to capture him on a permanent deal.

However, it had been reported the ex-Hearts man had another year left with the Foxes but Maybury, left, has revealed he’s out of contract in the close season.

And after slotting into Jimmy Calderwood’s side with ease he wants to thrash out a long-term Pittodrie deal.

“I’ve only got the remainder of this season on my contract left at Leicester and they made it clear in January I was free to move on,†said Maybury.

“There might have been a bit of confusion about my Leicester deal because it happened at the last minute.

“The quickest way was for me to move to Aberdeen on loan even though my contract was running out at Leicester.

“My contract at Aberdeen runs until the end of May while the contracts in England run until the end of June.

“I just knew I needed to move somewhere and play some games or else you get quickly forgotten about if you haven’t played for a year or so.

“It’s up to me to prove I'm worth something longer and for Aberdeen to have a look at me and we’ll discuss things further in the summer.

“We’re all happy with that situation and I understand there are other players who might be more of a priority.

“But it’s up to show them that I am the player they remember from Hearts and win a longer term contract.

“I would like to stay because I'm playing every week and if the only other option was to go back to reserve team football where I’d be kicking my feet then it’s a no brainer.â€

Maybury, a Republic of Ireland international, kicked off his career at Leeds United but first made his name at Hearts.

That was before he followed Craig Levein south to Leicester before he was eventually frozen out at the Foxes.

But he feels he now owes Calderwood as he’s now playing competitive matches again that mean something.

He added: “I'm enjoying life at Aberdeen after a spell at Leicester City where I was stuck in the reserves.

“The highs of the Scottish Cup win over Celtic and the UEFA Cup have been great.

“I’ve always maintained I just want to be involved in games that matter.

“Even though it was a disappointing result against St Mirren in our last game we’re still fighting for a top six place.

“In the reserves it doesn't matter if you lose 4-0 or win 4-0 it means nothing at the end of the day.

“I moved up to Aberdeen to play in first team games and it has been really good so far.â€

Suspect wages might be a deal breaker here as he will be on a decent wage even at Leicester. We are not in a position to pay at the same level as them. If he is prepared to take a cut to come here then excellent news but if he wants to earn the same money then he will probably be moving on.

Suspect wages might be a deal breaker here as he will be on a decent wage even at Leicester. We are not in a position to pay at the same level as them. If he is prepared to take a cut to come here then excellent news but if he wants to earn the same money then he will probably be moving on.

By the sounds of it though he just wants to be playing every week, and he won't be on a pittance if he does sign for us.

Really hope he signs, good player.

The interesting bit is the - could be other players that are more important.

For me Maybury signing is more important than Nicholson and Miller who have stalled and stalled and are highly likely to disappear in the summer.

We need our defence settled and part one of that starts with signing Maybury

Sort it out Dons!

Hope I,m wrong but still think Maybury will make all the right noises about staying, but ultimately he'll move to a.n.other Championship side on £8/10k per week, more than double what we'll pay him.

Agent will be working away in the background believe me >:(

Hope I,m wrong but still think Maybury will make all the right noises about staying, but ultimately he'll move to a.n.other Championship side on £8/10k per week, more than double what we'll pay him.

Agent will be working away in the background believe me >:(

Don't think there much doubt about that mate.

We can only hope that regular fitba and maybe a cup final will be the edge we'll have over these other places.