Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Did Bayern Munich go easy on us at Pittodrie 2008??

Over the last few years I've tried to take a different stance to the games I attend Live.  You know almost treat them individually as oppose to say remembering all the matches won on way to winning a Cup.

I don't expect anybody to understand how special me seeing our footballing heroes draw 2-2 at Pittodrie with seventh richest club in world at time Bayern Munich on evening I became a published author was.

I remember my mindset coming up on the train from Scottish Borders was so negative.  We thought why the hell am I coming up to watch my team get gubbed six or seven nil. 

I know they had Oliver Kahn missing through illness which I still to this day don't believe.  Rested Belgian international Daniel Van Buyten and French fullback Willy Sagnol was suspended if memory serves us right.  Dutch captain Mark Van Bommel had a slight thigh strain so wasn't risked but apart from that it was a very strong squad sent to Aberdeen.

Some might say take Willy Sagnol off that list as that was his own fault he wasn't available for the match.

But still had Brazilian internationalist duo Lucio and Ze Roberto plus Argentinian central defender Martin Demichelis.  Turkish captain Hamit Altintop another more than decent player.  Bastian Schweinsteiger no mug either.

Don't care what anybody else says Miroslav Klose and Luca Toni up top together were as dangerous a partnership as was around back then as proved by Bayern's first equaliser.

Then they brought on German captain Philipp Lahm and his good pal Lukas Podolski second-half.

But after all is said and done do you think Bayern Munich went easy on us that night or was it our boys feeding off the wonderful atmosphere and raising their game like nobody expected them to do?   

1 hour ago, baggy89 said:

the 2 young english lads lack of fear/trying to make a name for themselves. 

Their careers certainly went on very different paths after their loan spell with us.

Incredible how John Walker's completely bombed after being with us.

I remember an ex colleague who supported Boro telling me how highly he was thought of when we got him on loan.

He'll forever be remembered for that goal 👍

On 01/12/2022 at 17:37, SeeBass said:

Josh Walker has his own one to one coaching business and has not long signed for Dunbar United about a 20 minute car ride from me so might have to try and go see him play sometime.

Might head to their game against Newtongrange tomorrow if he is playing.