Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Walking Away From The Club?

I've felt very disillusioned with football generally speaking for a good few years now.  More so with Aberdeen Football Club since Derek and Tony Doc. left.

The attitude of the modern footballer is somewhat of a bug bear for me.  I mean look how poorly they started tonight and sold yet another amazing travelling support down the river.  Don't actually believe players care about the supporters as much as is claimed by some. 

We can't be losing to Livingston under any circumstances in my opinion.

Really think I'm done with the club and game in general come end of season.  Just haven't enjoyed it for so long.  Not fun.  We've kind of noticed how I don't get angry when losing now.  Almost a resignation an apathy about a defeat.

Firmly feel as if my mind, body, soul is giving me a sign it is time to do something else with our life.  Going through the motions as they say is never a good thing.

Thank God for the World Cup so don't need to deal with this sorry state of a squad we've got for a bit.  

Seabass man, chill out and breathe.

We’ve got a new squad and new manager. It was always destined to be a bumpy ride. But we’re third in the league. It’s not all doom and gloom.

Derek and Doc had run their course. Things had gone stale and despite the first half of their tenure being good, the second half was poor so, it was time for change. 
Perhaps take a wee break dude, enjoy the World Cup and festive period and come back in the new year and eager dandy 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SeeBass said:

We can't be losing to Livingston under any circumstances in my opinion.

They are fourth on merit. Having beaten Hearts, Hibs and now Aberdeen this season, and drawn at Ibrox, I think they deserve a little bit more respect than that.

• Like 3

As I get older Ive learned that to enjoy being a football supporter of a team that doesn't regularly win you have to not take it too seriously. Enjoy the days we win and don't let it get you down too much when we don't. 

Nothing wrong with having a break now and again, pursuing other interests. If it's getting you down its probably the best thing you can do. But if your anything like most of us you'll be back soon enough. 😉

• Like 4

I'm a perfectionist always have been.  It is very hard for me to accept mediocrity from anybody in any walk of life.  And once more the players threw that amazing away support under the bus with yet another lacklustre opening twenty minutes. 

Don't know about anybody else but this regurgitated excuse about not knowing why we were slow out the traps really doesn't wash with me anymore after 33 years as a supporter.

Panda, we will need to agree to disagree.  Livingston play an awful brand of football and we honestly shouldn't be losing to them at any point in history.  But the fact is we do on a regular basis in West Lothian especially which is beyond embarrassing for me.

I really am just about done with football generally speaking.  I was saying to a contact we used to have at club last night I just don't get out of the game what we once used to and maybe it is time to just move on and forget the sport because in grand scheme of things it doesn't serve me now. 

Take it easy SeaBass. Despite what crap you might read at times, it really is just a game. 12 teams start the league season but 11 of them lose and the fans still follow their team.  I've read in the past of your love for snooker.  You'll get 32 players start the world championship and 31 of them lose but people still tune in despite the fact that their favourite will probably not win.  Try to enjoy it for what it is, just sport.  The Dons have no divine right to beat anyone and just because they are not brilliant every time they step onto the park does not mean they are not trying.  Sometimes you just end up second best but there's always the next game. 

• Like 2

On 09/11/2022 at 01:15, Panda said:

They are fourth on merit. Having beaten Hearts, Hibs and now Aberdeen this season, and drawn at Ibrox, I think they deserve a little bit more respect than that.

👆This.  I'm really impressed with what Martindale has done at livi, they ain't hammer throwers anymore either.  

I would also say SeeBass if you apply the logic of "we shouldn't lose to livi in any circumstances" that that door swings both ways.  In other words you might as well be saying we should give up on beating the Glasgow 2 ever again because they shouldn't be losing to us under circumstances. You will always get underdog stories in sports, you will always get teams underperforming too. It's a crucial part of keeping the game interesting at all levels. 

A wise person said to me a long time ago when it came to supporting a football team "don't get too high and don't get to low, there's always a next season if things are awful.". I would add to this that there will be times that you won't have a choice in the matter such will be the importance of the fixture. A perfect example is the Scotland v England game a few years back.  When griffiths scored the second I just...... lost it.  Completely lost it.  I can't tell you much about the 30 seconds that followed other than it was an ecstacy I had never previously felt.  Then, 2 minutes later, that was taken away from me and ive never felt so low.  I had no choice in feeling like this but moments like this are rare.  You can usually get over a disappointing result pretty quickly if you put your mind to it, it's only fucking football after all. 

• Like 4

The easy way out of that is go and support Rangers or Celtic. So many glory seekers out there have done that for years. If you want a team that wins nearly every game in the season that's what you want to do. I'm lucky enough to have seen the glory years of being a Don. But.. I've lived through the utter shite that we played under the likes of Alex Miller, Steve Paterson and Mark McGhee. I'll support Aberdeen to the day I die even If we ended up in the Highland League. As BigAl said, once a Don, always a Don.

• Like 3

Its an unusual result to decide to chuck it in,were in a better place than last year,...and we've had much worse results in recent years for you to do the same.So,just guessing by your comments on here, is it possible youve maybe just become tired of your own routine? Easy to get stuck doing the same thing.Are you allowed to work given your condition? Couple of days light work a week? Some voluntary work?

Maybe the Dons have been too big a thing for you.An additional interest to spread it out a bit? Bear in mind the shitey time of year,dark nights/ pish weather,post Covid etc 

Edited by Elgindon
  • Like 2

Think Elgin has touched on it, think you need additional things to take your fancy. Have I found it tough supporting the dons? Absolutely, I’ve never had any glory years. I’ve known us to win two trophies in my entire time as a dons fan. Do I care? Absolutely, but being a dandy has moulded me into the person I am today. Some would probably change it but I certainly wouldn’t 😂 there are always rough times that I step away from actively supporting us due to life, but I’ll always take an interest, regardless of the pish on offer. I still pride myself in telling everyone who asks (and doesn’t) that I’m a dandy. 

chin up, find another distraction to allow you to take a break from the reds when you need it. For me; it’s family and cycling 👍

• Like 3

There are many reasons I've been thinking of walking away from the game completely.  Not just because of an awful result away to Livingston or because I haven't got enough things going on in my life.

I've probably not enjoyed watching football generally speaking for last four or five years now.  I'm bored by the Scottish product of sometimes playing teams four, five, six, seven times in a season if there is a cup replay or two.

I don't think the modern player gives as much a damn about the supporters as is claimed either which is a big thing for me because it breeds the wrong attitude.  That 4-0 Tannadice drubbing a few weeks back just can't happen in any scenario for me but the fact of the matter was it did and it keeps happening.

Look at how close we were to another embarrassing cup result at Annan Athletic too.  No part-time team should be taking us to extra-time.

I nearly walked away from the club in 2008.  I attended Bayern Munich home, Hibernian away, Kilmarnock away.  We lost 3-1 at both Easter Road and Rugby Park and we all know what happened Valentine's Day.  

We vividly remember having a frank conversation with my now passed Mam about not attending another game that season after Kilmarnock debacle.  I said to her we could never understand how they could perform like they did against Bavarian side yet embarrass themselves when facing Hibernian and Kilmarnock.

I genuinely don't think anybody knows how conflicted I am about this issue.  Or how disappointed we are I've had very little to show for my efforts following the club last 33 years.  Like that Kilmarnock away fixture especially a Sunday used to take 12 hours altogether using buses and trains from Scottish Borders.  Not sure what it is nowadays.  Long way to go to by yourself at a great expense to maybe see your team not trying a jot! 

SeeBass min, I've maybe been a little bit blunt and perhaps unsympathetic in my previous post

I'm aware of how much time and money you've invested in watching Aberdeen over the years.

I'm aware that a game at PIttodrie for both of us is still an away game given our locations. The difference for me, is I'll jump in the car and in little more than three hours I can be there. Totally appreciate the dedication it involves for you to plan your journey with military precision.

Given your dedication, don't do anything hasty, take some time out if you feel it'll benefit you mentally. Don't totally turn your back on the game, go and watch local amateur games, boys fitba etc because if you're there just for the game and not so uptight about the outcome, it might just help you fall back in love with it.

Ultimately however, the decision is yours, but regardless of whether you stop going to Aberdeen games after thirty three years, I stand by my previous comment, Once A Don, Always A Don and in your heart you'll always be.

Stand Free lad,

• Like 1