Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The run-in to the split

Remaining games borrowed from an earlier post by Panda:

Dundee Utd (39): Hibernian (A); Dundee (H)

Hibernian (37): Dundee Utd (H); Hearts (A)

Livingston (37): St Johnstone (A); Motherwell (H)

Ross County (36): Hearts (H); Aberdeen (H)

Motherwell (36): St Mirren (H); Livingston (A)

St Mirren (36): Motherwell (A); Rangers (H)

Aberdeen (35): Dundee (A); Ross County (H)

We clearly still need two wins out of two, but how do folk predict the final standings?

Interesting. If we win both of our final games then we're guaranteed at least eighth because Livingston, Motherwell and St Mirren all play each other. More than likely that series of fixtures will see a draw in one of the three that would guarantee us seventh. I could see Hibs losing two, or getting a couple of draws too. I would think it would be difficult for us to win both and not get top six at this stage, given that we have the best goal difference of all six teams (indeed goal difference is usually a reliable indicator of overall standings, within reason).

1 hour ago, Slim said:

I think we’re banking on St Johnstone taking something off Livingston at home assuming we win both our matches. I think we’ve got the best goal difference out of most of the teams above us.

I don't think so to be honest. Motherwell have as good a chance of taking something against Livingston too. If we get two wins, given our goal difference (and unless there is a big swing in a single match), then any of the teams bar utd not getting maximum points will leave them behind us. If you assume utd get at least two points (and that isn't a given, but they do play Dundee!) then you'd need two more teams in that list to get 6 points for us to be pushed out. It's only possible for three teams to do that, and it'd require Hibs to beat Dundee United and Hearts (which I think is unlikely), plus both Livi or Motherwell (if Livi win both, then Motherwell can't and vice versa) plus St Mirren (who play the Huns) to win their matches. 

It would take a lot of bad luck for us to win both games and not finish in the top six, to the extent that I'd say it's in our own hands. Best results for us in the next game would be any two of: Utd and Hibs to draw; Motherwell and St Mirren to draw; Livi to drop points. That would ensure that if we beat county we're top six.

Every single result had gone our way on Saturday right up until Dundee United's late goal.

Still think we need maximum points, and even then I'm not sure it'll be enough, but at 1-0 v Hibs I was already trying to put a positive spin on us not having to bother with the European qualifiers next season. It's nice to still be in the fight.

Two wins for us gets us to 41 pts.

We need no more then two of the other teams to get above that.

Utd: will get at least 42 by beating Dundee.

Hibs: Unlikely. Best result for us would be them failing to beat utd.

Livi: could possibly win both games.

county: if we’re winning both games they’re not finishing above us.

well: could win both games.

st mirren: unlikely to beat the huns.

livi v well and Arabs v hibs look like the big games but you’ve got to think two wins and it would need some very unlike things to happen to keep us out.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, OxfordDon said:

Best possible result for this us this weekend (assuming we win) is wins for Dundee Utd, St Johnstone & Hearts, and for Well & St Mirren to draw.  Incredibly that will jump us to 5th and put top 6 in our own hands next week.

A draw between Utd and Hibs would be better if we're trying to finish as high as possible. It would put us on the same points as Hibs but with at least a plus two goal difference. If we were both to win our final games then they'd have to beat Hearts by two goals more than we beat county, which is probably unlikely. It'd also leave the possibility that we could be in fourth at the split, with utd only being two points ahead with the draw. Four points ahead at the split would be difficult to overcome.

Or we could just lose today, putting us out of our misery.

Edit: we've also got a better goals for than Hibs, which I think is the next criteria for placing, so they'd need a three goal swing to finish ahead of us (or more if we win by more than one today).

Edited by RicoS321

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Or we could just lose today, putting us out of our misery.

Looks like the misery continues. If I haven't read the table wrong, it's all actually become very simple - we have to beat Ross County, and Hibs have to lose or draw against Hearts.  If that happens, we are 6th, the other results don't matter.  If Hibs win we are 7th.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OxfordDon said:

Looks like the misery continues. If I haven't read the table wrong, it's all actually become very simple - we have to beat Ross County, and Hibs have to lose or draw against Hearts.  If that happens, we are 6th, the other results don't matter.  If Hibs win we are 7th.

Richard Gordon, stop copying my homework min

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OxfordDon said:

When I got home after watching our 3rd XI lose in a cup final (playing against 10 men for 65mins) and saw the result thought ah well, that's that then.  Now you've opened the door called "hope" again!  

21 minutes ago, dons8321 said:

When I got home after watching our 3rd XI lose in a cup final (playing against 10 men for 65mins) and saw the result thought ah well, that's that then.  Now you've opened the door called "hope" again!  

Aye it's the hope that fucks you up min 😉