Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Tokyo Olympics

HaarDon

What are you watching?

I saw a bit of the swimming but really enjoy the athletics. Still not the same coming around that final bend without a crowd going mental.

Got a guy at work who loves the skateboarding. Don't quite get it myself.

Female Aussie swimmers are incredible with what they do/have done over the years!

Skateboarding is incredibly dull in my opinion. One of those things that takes a huge amount of skill but still doesn't look that impressive despite the hipster guy from Shoreditch on the commentary going mental every five seconds.

I like just about everything else though. The shooting and archery was strangely compelling, Argentina vs South Africa in the rugby 7s was amazing drama with Argentina managing to win with two guys sent off, also quite like the diving and seeing how people cope under ridiculous amounts of pressure.

Been watching men’s football, basketball, BMX (first time watching that) cycling, swimming and triathlon. Football has been decent if with some erratic referees. Really enjoyed the Triathlon and BMX stuff .  Basketball should get better now into knockout as there were some poor teams in group stages. France beating USA was funny. 

Just too many things there this time that should never be Olympic sports.  The Olympics for me should be the pinnacle for your sport so no need to have sports like golf or tennis in it.  No way a gold medal at the Olympics can compare to winning the Masters or Wimbledon.  Also the idea of an Olympic medal for BMX, skateboarding and three on three basketball is ridiculous.  These sorts of sports being included devalues the famous gold medal achievements of the past.  They might as well just include darts and e-gaming whilst they are at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scotfree said:

I used to enjoy the Olympics but the TV coverage here is so one-eyed. Aye, of course the commentators should be all for Australia but I think they forget that there are other countries there as well. 

Scotfree this is so true.

I've been saying that for years.

The Australian coverage is ridiculous

The focus is less on athletics I've found whereas BBC coverage is/was excellent for athletics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

The focus is less on athletics I've found whereas BBC coverage is/was excellent for athletics

Even my wife (who is Australian) can't watch it anymore. The thing I used to like about the Olympics was it was a whole world thing (most of the time...) not just Australia. And the commentators on Channel 7 are dire. 

Haha

I've noticed that Australians think they're the best at everything and even steal inventions/ideas.

I've caught them out a few times.

There's still an underlying racism in this country and sometimes very evident.

And ffs, stop calling other people POMS when in fact, you guys are the POMS.

Duhhhh.

Still love it here though ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Well the BBC coverage has been fairly rank this time around. It's 80% filler, 20% highlights because Discovery bought the rights a while back. It's also very partisan too. It's not at the obscene level of the English football coverage, but it's not far off. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Well the BBC coverage has been fairly rank this time around. It's 80% filler, 20% highlights because Discovery bought the rights a while back. It's also very partisan too. It's not at the obscene level of the English football coverage, but it's not far off. 

Aye I agree not reached the usual high standards - been cracking to watch  tho - defo gonna try for tickets for Paris 2024 

16 hours ago, scotfree said:

Even my wife (who is Australian) can't watch it anymore. The thing I used to like about the Olympics was it was a whole world thing (most of the time...) not just Australia. And the commentators on Channel 7 are dire. 

I’ve heard nothing positive about channel 7. They like Fox News essentially? 

we have sky sport here in NZ which takes feeds from across the English speaking world, as well as a few kiwi commentators. Been pretty good tbh, but there are some events which don’t appear on highlights. I’ve enjoyed them more than I thought I would this year. The velodrome last the last couple of nights was epic.

4 hours ago, manc_don said:

I’ve heard nothing positive about channel 7. They like Fox News essentially? 

we have sky sport here in NZ which takes feeds from across the English speaking world, as well as a few kiwi commentators. Been pretty good tbh, but there are some events which don’t appear on highlights. I’ve enjoyed them more than I thought I would this year. The velodrome last the last couple of nights was epic.

Channel 7, Channel 9 and channel Ten are the main commercial TV stations over here. They really are just channels that show adverts with a smattering of shite programs where people shout at each other a lot. I would not trust any of these channels news broadcasts to even get what day it was right. The only stations that I trust in anyway are the ABC and SBS. The ABC is the Australian BBC (but not as shite) and SBS is a channel that is very diverse. The ABC has a history of being a touch to the left. I watch the ABC news for what's going on in Queensland/Australia and the SBS news for what is going on in the world. The Australian Sky News has actually been banned from YouTube for a week after they were found to be spreading misinformation about Covid and the vaccines.  https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/04/sky-news-australia-purges-several-videos-from-youtube-after-ban-over-covid-misinformation Sky News Australia is just a channel of far right nutjobs who are watch by people who are just as bad as the presenters. 

9 hours ago, BigAl said:

This is the first Olympics where I have literally watched absolutely nothing.

Were it not for what I see on the news programmes I literally would have a clue as to what is going on 

Have watched probably more than I normally do. Didn’t necessarily agree with the games going ahead but the quality of the sports on offer has been incredible. Love the track cycling, never fails to deliver. Think it helps that time zone wise it’s favourable for us.

I love every single sport could watch it all day long  - was screaming at the show jumping yesterday and the pole vault today and canny wait for the artistic gymnastics and artistic swimming on Saturday

And there is a scottish guy in the marathon and Laura Muir in the 1500 

Great bronze for Kerr in the men's 1500m.

Wightman disappointing.think the heat got to him.

Once again the coverage decided to concentrate on a female high jumper lying on the ground preparing for her next jump instead of showing the reactions at the end of the women's 4x400m race.

Then I have to wait 25 mins to see the men's 4x400m final due to utter shite coverage on both channel 7 channels.

Scotfree did you notice this too?

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Great bronze for Kerr in the men's 1500m.

Wightman disappointing.think the heat got to him.

Once again the coverage decided to concentrate on a female high jumper lying on the ground preparing for her next jump instead of showing the reactions at the end of the women's 4x400m race.

Then I have to wait 25 mins to see the men's 4x400m final due to utter shite coverage on both channel 7 channels.

Scotfree did you notice this too?

I gave up watching ages ago mate. Good to see that GB are ahead of Australia in the medals though. ?