Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Arbitration Outcome

BigAl

52 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

The mistake was cancelling the SPFL. They could have and should have been completed, like England, Germany, Spain, Italy etc.

Yet another mismanagement error by the clowns in charge. 

You can only really compare with England, as they are the only country with a pandemic timeline similar to ours but with the Scottish government putting a much later start date of 1st August compared to England (I doubt our clubs would have been suitably prepared any earlier, and I don't think the SG would have responded well/favourably to pressure). I'm not sure how finishing the season would have worked, what would your suggestion be? The two - almost insurmountable - issues for me would have been player contracts and the new season. In order to complete the season, beginning August 1st, we'd be looking at end of September for a finish. That would have meant a 3-4 month contract extension for all SPFL players. This would be non-mandatory - for obvious reasons - with good players possibly leaving if other offers had arisen. Obviously, new signings would also not be allowed to play (otherwise Hearts just buy themselves a new team to avoid relegation). With a short break between seasons (two weeks, let's say), you'd be looking at mid-October for the new season to start, with either a reduced number of games or a move to a summer calendar. Both options would have a significant impact on season ticket sales as it's unlikely that fans would pay as much for a reduced season (even though that's effectively what we're getting in terms of viewed games), and they would likely have waited to purchase their new tickets until closer to the start of that new season presenting a serious cashflow issue for many clubs (again, you can't compare England, Germany etc).

I'd be interested to hear your resolutions to the above, as I can't think of a nice way to get round them. I also wouldn't class the solution as mismanagement, either, they've come to an answer and dealt with 90% of the issues. Perhaps not the way you would like, but a reasonably acceptable outcome given the situation. I'd characterise it more like Sturgeon/SNP's failure to prevent care home deaths rather than Johnson's complete ineptitude.

I couldn't be arsed writing out a whole set of resolutions. Again. I already made my suggestions at the time. If England could complete, so could Scotland. I think we had less games to do as well. We called a halt before there was any need to make a decision. And I stand by my position that our football administrators are total clowns and unfit for purpose. 

2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

I couldn't be arsed writing out a whole set of resolutions. Again. I already made my suggestions at the time. If England could complete, so could Scotland. I think we had less games to do as well. We called a halt before there was any need to make a decision. And I stand by my position that our football administrators are total clowns and unfit for purpose. 

I think they're unfit for purpose, but I don't think they were wrong on this one. I'd agree, that the decision was made too early - before they had any idea what was happening - but I think they got the right decision. I don't think the Scottish Government would have given much leeway on starting next week, especially given the few airse ups on testing so far, which has been fine for the handful of friendlies. I did read your previous responses, but I don't think you addressed the contract situation. England can just afford it, so they're not really an example we can go by. Hamilton and Killie have had to let players go in the double figures. There's no way they could have finished the season with the same squad from March so either way you look at it the final positions would have been contrived/unfair. Basing it on actual games that had happened seemed fairer than playing the remaining games with teams weakened or completely changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearts and Partick Thistle have each been fined £2,500 by the Scottish FA for going to the courts to try and reverse their respective relegations.

The two clubs were unhappy with how the vote to curtail last season unfolded and their subsequent demotion on a points-per-game basis.

Their challenge went to court, then arbitration, but was unsuccessful.

They have now been found guilty of breaching the Scottish FA's Rule 78 by taking the issue to court.

Hearts, who were bottom of the Scottish Premiership, Thistle, who were bottom of the Championship and Stranraer, who trailed in League One, were relegated on a points-per-game basis when the season was curtailed.

That decision was taken after a controversial vote of all 42 clubs granted the Scottish Professional Football League board the power to do so.

After attempts at reconstruction of the leagues, Hearts and Thistle filed a petition at the Court of Session, seeking either a reversal of the decision of compensation.

They wanted the Court of Session to reverse the promotions of Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers and keep them up instead.

However, a three-strong panel ruled that the SPFL was entitled to act as it did.

Hearts and Thistle also wanted up to £10m in compensation but could now face paying costs, with arbitration continuing for "submissions about expenses".