Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

JDV - opinions?

Yesterdays performance has certainly polarised opinion. Some think he was good and others think he was shite. He was put out to double up on McGeady and as McGeady didnt do anything then JDV's performance has to be applauded :thumbsup:

I thought he was terrible yesterday until he scored. He's capable of winning matches, but tends to be a passenger while he's not scoring or assisting.

Each to their own but you must have been watching a different game to me, he was far from terrible.

He was ok yesterday. Gave the ball away a few times and I've always thought one of his main strengths was how well he retains possession. He's got a nice touch and actually wants to play the ball on the deck which is refreshing. He'll be a good player for us I think, and scored an excellent goal yesterday.

Thought his distribution and dead ball delivery yesterday was shocking, and lost count of the number of times he failed to get the ball beyond the first man from set pieces.

Having said that prepared to forgive all his sins for that goal ;)

he was very good yesterday

I wouldn't say he had a bad game yesterday but I wouldn't say he had a good one either.  For me, he needs too much time to assess his options and doesn't move the ball around quickly enough.  He was fortunate to have been given a bit of space yesterday, but that said, that is one of his best attributes, being able to find space in the first place.  He didn't play as well yesterday as he did against Rangers and I thought in general his distribution was poor from both crosses and passing in general.  He was very inconsistent tracking back and there seemed to be very little communication between him and Maybury.  I think had Naylor been playing instead of O'Dea, we would've been crucified down the right side. He's still a good bit off the pace for me, at times he looks quite lazy.

One way of describing him is that he looks like the kind of winger who is in the twilight of his career - lost that yard of pace but trying to make the best use of the tools he has left.  In other words a passenger.  He does have good close control though and if he could inject a bit more sharpness and urgency into his game then it would make him a much better player.

I thought he was terrible yesterday until he scored. He's capable of winning matches, but tends to be a passenger while he's not scoring or assisting.

My thoughts on him aswell.  Flatters to deceive most of the time but brilliant football at goal.  Set pieces are woeful though.

Still not convinced. Great goal but gave the ball away far to often especially when not under any pressure. Think he, like Tounzani, is to slow for the Scottish game and need to much time on the ball. However I would still give him a run of games to see if he can get used to our game before making a final decision.

Guest Caroline B

He wasn't any worse than any of the rest of the team apart from his dead ball attempts which were woefully poor. Having said that, Celtics deadball sets were equally as shocking. Maybe something to do with the horrible swirling wind that whips in through the gap of the RDS and South

AFC is littered with players from the past who struggled to start with when they came to the club including famous names such as Strachan, McGhee and even Willie Miller. Perhaps a run in the side is what JDV needs. Lets face it, you can't find the pace of a match till you are involved. Time will tell.

I just think he needs a longer, settled run in the team. He looks like a player who is used to  game where he has more time  in which to pick out passes and have more time on the ball generally. I think with a good run (and a more settled formation in which to work with) he will come on to his game more.

it's frustrating when he won't shoot at goal when he's in space at the edge of the box  :hammer:

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT  :thumbsup:

Agreed. He has a decent shot. Seems like we may have a slower replacement for Chris Clark ;)

Too wasteful with the ball but a very definite goal threat and as has already been said, may well need a run in the team. I quite like him but still has a lot to do.

Signed as a winger and clearly isnt one, i'd like to see him play off of Miller, he showed yesterday that he isthe ability to cause problems and is a good passer of the ball, also always looks to come intside alot.

Thought he was awful yesterday and the goal saved his bacon as i thought Walker was away to come on for him but did do really well to help maybury out and at times his touch was awful and let Mcgeady go on a wee run around.

I was saying to Sneckie yesterday, I thought he was pretty poor and I was disappointed. However, that goal was great and he was doubling up on potato traitor so I will forgive him. I just wish his dead ball situations were better.

Were you? I don't remember!

The goal was good, have to agree. Think JDV has shown what he's capable of on occasions but agree that wish he'd shoot at times.