Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tango man speaks out

JIMMY CALDERWOOD insists he can lead his side to Hampden - but says even a win over Celtic is only enough to keep fans off his back for a week.

The Aberdeen boss is as frustrated as any punter at the lack of consistency from his side in the SPL.

But Caldo believes his men are as good as any team on their day and urged his stars to prove it.

He said: "Our league form has been disappointing all season. But on any given day we can match anyone.

"We can cause an upset against Celtic today and put a smile on the fans' faces - even if it's only for a week!"

And the Dons gaffer says the level of expectation at the club drives him on.

He said: "Our fans still expect a cup final and an SPL title every year.

It's great to have that but annoying at times too."

Eh, no we dont!

Eh, no we dont!

As much as I want to say "What a dick!, WHO expects us to win the title and cup?", shouldn't that be what he as the manager is aiming for? And if he's not what is he aiming for? If he aimed that high and we get to a semi and third in the league we as the fans can say the team have done well. I can only assume he doesn't believe that that this a realistic expectation, so why does he feel the need to go on to say his men are as good as any team, when he obviously doesn't beleive it himself. So for that reason I'd like to say What a dick!

As much as I want to say "What a dick!, WHO expects us to win the title and cup?", shouldn't that be what he as the manager is aiming for? And if he's not what is he aiming for? If he aimed that high and we get to a semi and third in the league we as the fans can say the team have done well. I can only assume he doesn't believe that that this a realistic expectation, so why does he feel the need to go on to say his men are as good as any team, when he obviously doesn't beleive it himself. So for that reason I'd like to say What a dick!

Exactly, Baggy.

Roy Keane expected Ireland to win the World Cup, and he was right to, because as a player (or manager) you MUST aim to win every match. At what point do you say "this is the game we're going to lose"?  Similarly, Mark McGhee aimed to win the league this year with Motherwell. That's the way it should be. Aspire to be the best. If you don't, you'll never fulfil your potential.

I don't expect us to win the league of course, but as professionals, that should be their aim.

I would also like to know how something that isn't there (our supposed expectation of winning the league) can annoy him?

I haven't looked at JCmustgo-chat, but I'm sure this quote was treated with the level-headed, appropriate approach that they use for every other press article emerging from Pittodrie.

I'm sure none of the high-profile 'JMG Mob' ( ::)) expect us to win the league and both the cups, but only expect us to win every game as teams like Panathaniakos, Atheltico, and Rangers seem to be 'there for the taking' every time we come up against them.

I would say it is fair to expect to be at least the 3rd best team in Scotland as we should have the players, funds, resources etc to do so. We expect to be competitive against the old firm, getting a win, draw here and there and certainly not getting cuffed. We should certainly be top six, and competing for a Euro spot every year.

I don't see why a cup final every year or two is unrealistic - certainly if we avoid an old firm draw I'd expect us to beat every other team as we should have the players to do so. In recent years we always get knocked out by diddie teams which is unacceptable.

An SPL title would be nice but I don't know any dons fans who expect that at present given the old firm resources. We should also be going in to old firm games fired up and trying to win as we have nothing to lose (as I think we did in the cup QF yesterday.)

Brewster's teams are hard to beat and Jeffries has done well with fuck all money... Fuck sake, tenth.

Harts Heroes wanted Calderwood oot and Gus McPherson in as he was the most exciting young manager in Scotland.

With such limited resources, St Mirren would deserve to be ahead of us.

That just leaves Gretna.

I'll leave it to the BNP Chatters to decide why we should be below them too. ::)