Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

E.E Story, Wilson and Young

JIMMY'S BACK ON STAR TREK

34 readers have commented on this story. Click here to read their views.

12:00 - 26 February 2008

Jimmy Calderwood could turn to Dunfermline's Scott Wilson this summer to solve his defensive crisis.

The Dons boss has been scouring the English Premiership reserve league to source new talent.

But he may return to his former club and make a second attempt to land Wilson after failing with a bid for the former Rangers man in January.

Calderwood reckons the 30-year-old would be the ideal partner for central defender Zander Diamond, while his Pars colleague Darren Young would also welcome a Pittodrie return.

The Aberdeen manager, assistant Jimmy Nicholl and coach Sandy Clark will run the rule over five Premiership reserve matches this week as they bid to unearth a rising star.

Calderwood has stepped up his search for fresh talent following Sunday's 3-1 defeat to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

He's planning a major Pittodrie revamp and is chasing young players from south of the border to take on loan to add a new dimension to his side.

"We'll watch 10 English clubs in action over the next few days," said Calderwood.

"That should give us a good idea of who is out there and who we can go for.

"This is our first real chance to scout for any new players, what with the hectic schedule we've had.

"We're looking at reserve team level in England because there's no way we can afford first team players from the Premiership.

"Normally we would be further down the line in terms of scouting but that's just not been possible.

"However, I'm hoping to unearth a few players with potential."

Calderwood reckons top clubs in the Premiership will be willing to lend them their best rookies as both Josh Walker and Sone Aluko have performed well for the Dons.

The teens are set to return to Middlesbrough and Birmingham this summer as they bid to prove their worth at the highest level, but more could follow their path north.

He added: "The success that Sone and Josh have enjoyed should help to make it easier for us to bring younger lads in on loan.

"Even what Anthony Stokes achieved at Falkirk has helped other Scottish clubs in terms of borrowing young players."

Calderwood will ship out at least 10 players in the close season as he has finally lost patience with some of his signings.

But he wants Barry Nicholson and Lee Miller to sign extended deals and awaits answers from the pair.

"It would give the whole club a huge lift if Barry and Lee committed their futures to the club.

"But it's up to them and I'm not sure what they are thinking right now.

"We should find out next week what they are going to do, so I face an anxious wait." 

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

"It would give the whole club a huge lift if Barry and Lee committed their futures to the club.

"But it's up to them and I'm not sure what they are thinking right now.

"We should find out next week what they are going to do, so I face an anxious wait."  

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!

If they're not with us, they're against us.

Ultimatum time.

The Dons boss has been scouring the English Premiership reserve league to source new talent.

Calderwood reckons top clubs in the Premiership will be willing to lend them their best rookies

Right. Let me start by saying that Aluko, and to a lesser extent Walker, look like decent players. However, I wouldn't want us to extend this policy of 'get them to the Dons for a bit before they start their proper career' to any more than one or two lads at a time.

I hate the idea of us having a team full of loan players who are inevitably going to head back to their proper club at the end of 6 months or a year. I dislike the short-termism of it, the thought of being tantalised by an exciting prospect only to know that they're not really yours.

To attempt a highly dubious analogy, it's a bit like having a gorgeous, but very

naive, 16-year-old girlfriend. It'll be great while it lasts, but you know she's going to wise up one day, realise you're not good enough for her and piss off...

To sum up my position, i'd rather have decent pros on permanent contracts, and a less attractive older woman who can make a good pot of soup.

Be afraid, be very afraid

Scott Muirhead anyone ::)

Is Scott Thompson still playing? I seem to remember Jimmy helped him in his conversion from striker to centre half at Dunfermline. Bet he's funny as well.

I do notice that the EE just throws in the line "Darren Young would welcome a Pittodrie return as well". Absolutely no foundation for it, never mentioned anywhere else in the article, just chucked it in. More made up shite in the EE? Who'd have thunk it. Wilson, however, is a different matter. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we didn't go for him in the Summer.