Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Case For The Defence

With Kari's goal earning us a point on the road and Considine grabbing said winner at Motherwell plus Shay and Reynolds winning us maximum points in Dingwall then two decent clean sheets against Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian I wondered what the thoughts are on overall performance early doors from our defence.

With Kari's goal earning us a point on the road and Considine grabbing said winner at Motherwell plus Shay and Reynolds winning us maximum points in Dingwall then two decent clean sheets against Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian I wondered what the thoughts are on overall performance early doors from our defence.

We shouldn't be measuring the defence's performance on the number of goals they score, but the number they concede. The defence has been suspect all season. Logan's performance yesterday was again worrying; if you look at the chance in the first half which Templeton had at the back post, Logan was at least ten yards out of position. Laziness? Lack of communication (that seemed to be a problem in general yesterday)?

I love Logan, he's been a fantastic signing but his form was a bit shakey last season (latterly) and doesn't seem to have improved this season. From memory this season, since we've shored up our CB pairing, goals are leaking via the full backs. Obviously prior to shoring the CBs we were leaking goals all over the shop but I still think it was clear our full backs weren't performing like they can. Has Logan gone stale? I think the issue being there doesn't appear to be any real competition for him. Just my tuppence worth.

I'd go further than say that he's gone stale. He has been rank rotten all this season. Not sure why but I'd certainly concur as things stand he has no real competition for his place. If he had then I'd be advocating taking him out the team for a few matches to see if a rest would help regain his form.

Right back has to be a priority in the transfer window...

I'd go further than say that he's gone stale. He has been rank rotten all this season. Not sure why but I'd certainly concur as things stand he has no real competition for his place. If he had then I'd be advocating taking him out the team for a few matches to see if a rest would help regain his form.

Right back has to be a priority in the transfer window...

My thoughts exactly. I don't know enough about the u-20s but I'm guessing one isn't capable of providing him with genuine competition. I want him to stay but he needs a kick up the arse, that much is certain

I would say our full backs are suffering as the guys in front of them don't give them the workrate and support which both Hayes or McGinn gave them, which often leaves us exposed down the flanks and has been used against us this season. I would call McGinn a lazy so and so when he was here, but he did track back a lot and Hayes just gave us an exceptional work rate atd both ends of the pitch. and I think teams know they can exploit this weakness.

Both Logan and Shinnie like to push forward and I wouldn't like to see them stop that part of their game

We are looking more solid at the back and McKenna is certainly shaping up to be a very good defender, but we are weaker in midfield IMO, which is causing us problems. I will be glad to see Tansey back in the middle of the park as was impressed withhim before he went off for his operation.

It depends on your tactics because quite often the player covering for the attacking fullback is the holding mid and not the winger. Players like Willo Flood and Ryan Jack were probably more inclined to do it than McGinn, as does Shinnie, but I agree over the last year or so McGinn and Hayes did track back a lot. GMS does it from what I've seen but Stewart doesn't have the pace to do it and get forward too. Don't think Christie does it too much either so we do tend to get exposed as McLean is no defensive presence.

Defending is not about the back four but a collective defensive unit and I think, while Kari and McKenna have strengthened the center of defense, we're much weaker defensively in midfield - Stewart, Christie, OConnor, McLean, and GMS all have limited defensive capabilities ranging from slow to simply being a pussy. We're a stronger defensive group in midfield with Shinnie in there but punting him back to left back hurts the midfield's defensive capabilities.