Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Brewster -Deal or no deal ?

Reported in the papers this morning that JC is offering Brewster an extension to his playing contract at Pittodrie.

There are mixed feelings amongst the Dons support as to his performances to date, so this is bound to stir up some debate amongst us. Personally provided the wage we are to pay him remains at a reasonably sensible level and is not to the detriment of any potential "kitty" for summer signings I'm reasonably ok with it. Without doubt Brewster is a model pro, and surely some of this must rub off on the younger squad members.

We said that about Scott Booth as well, though. He was a model pro. Turned up for training early. Was the last one to leave the training ground. All his spare time at work was spent in the gym. But, just like Brewster, the majority of his latter days of footballing appeared to be spent on the treatment table.

There's nae doubt that Brewster is a quality addition to our squad. I only wish we'd decided to secure his signature before he reached his 81st birthday! If he feels he can go another season, then I say give him another season. But he should surely bow out when he KNOWS he should. Kjaer finished his career when he felt he should've, despite most of the Red Army pleading with him to keep his gloves on for another season. I hope Brewster knows his physical limits.

Having him in the squad will be worth giving him a new contract. We do not have an experienced squad at all as Brewster is 13 years older than our next oldest player. Having an old head around is well worthwhile, whether that is on from the start or coming into games late. I am not always convinced starting with Brewster is the best option, but there is no doubt he has helped the cause since he came in.

Guest Johnny Mac

We said that about Scott Booth as well, though. He was a model pro. Turned up for training early. Was the last one to leave the training ground. All his spare time at work was spent in the gym. But, just like Brewster, the majority of his latter days of footballing appeared to be spent on the treatment table.

Eh? Brewster has hardly been an injury prone player throughout his career.

He got a dislocated shoulder here and said it was the worst injury of his career, so I don't really see him like Scotty Booth. That role goes to Jamie Smith or Lovell with their glass groins.

I think he does a good job, holds the ball up well, brings other players into the game and has plenty to offer us next season. As mentioned he's also a good role model and can help with coaching etc too. A win win situation in my eyes.

Eh? Brewster has hardly been an injury prone player throughout his career.

He got a dislocated shoulder here and said it was the worst injury of his career, so I don't really see him like Scotty Booth. That role goes to Jamie Smith or Lovell with their glass groins.

I think he does a good job, holds the ball up well, brings other players into the game and has plenty to offer us next season. As mentioned he's also a good role model and can help with coaching etc too. A win win situation in my eyes.

I'll see your Jamie Smith or Steve Lovell, and raise you a Karim Touzani ;)

I'd like to hold on to Brewster while he is still able to play, I think he'd be a valuable asset to the club in a coaching role so perhaps if he ends his footballing days here we could be able to persuade him to stay on in such a capacity.

He certainly is a model professional and is probably the most physically fit player we have at the club. A contract extension sounds a good idea as long as it is not a daft 3 year deal or anything like that. I guess it would be until the end of next season or so.

I'm nae talking about being injury-prone throughout his career. I'm only talking about since he arrived here. I was comparing it to Booth's second stint with the Dons. When he played, he was brilliant to watch as he was always about three or four steps ahead of where everyone else was thinking. But he was too injury prone. Brewster too has been plagued a bit by injury since arriving here.

Guest AussieDon

I was quite surprised to hear that Brew signing on would be in any doubt. I actually thought JC and Brew were conspiring together to make him the next Aberdeen manager.

Hear me out.

The move to us wasn't looking likely, I want first team football etc... but at the last minute he was convinced and decided to sign. What was said that persuaded him? My theory was that JC said something like "endear yourself to the fans and when I bugger off to England you will be the obvious choice to succeed me. Plus I'll teach you all you need to know so you can resurrect your management career".

Guess I was wrong  :-\

Guest Johnny Mac

I'm nae talking about being injury-prone throughout his career. I'm only talking about since he arrived here. I was comparing it to Booth's second stint with the Dons. When he played, he was brilliant to watch as he was always about three or four steps ahead of where everyone else was thinking. But he was too injury prone. Brewster too has been plagued a bit by injury since arriving here.

But he's only had one injury since he arrived here! Well anyway, we'll see how he does in the closing matches of the season. I'm sure himself and Calderwood will assess the situation then.

Brewster brings a toughness that no other striker in our current squad has.  Although he has lost a step in the stamina department (I don't like the idea of playing him a full 90) he can wear down defenders for 70 minutes then we can bring on a Miller who will get better chances to finish with fresh legs and stronger aerial attack.

That said, If a 2 or 3 dimensional player (someone who brings more to the table) who won't cost us a mint is available, I'd agree to seeing Brewster in a Player/Coach role.

What?!?!? A new deal for the old man of Pittodrie? When did he win a high ball other than vs Hibs in the cup? How many moves has he linked up other than the goal v Hearts? The much maligned (and more expensive) Lee Miller did more in his 20 minutes on the pitch today than Brewster. He's got quicker feet, a better touch and can win high balls. The fact he has the pace of a cruise ship goes against him though. I just can't see Brewster being much worth to us as anything other than a coach or as an example to the younger players. He's past it IMO.

Guest swaddon

Having only seen the guy play in the Scottish Cup games on the telly, he does offer something up front that other players don't, so I think we should give him a month-to-month deal, if that is possible.

Guest ragnarok

The much maligned (and more expensive) Lee Miller did more in his 20 minutes on the pitch today than Brewster. He's got quicker feet, a better touch and can win high balls.

I totally agree. Brewster looked comletely past it yesterday and Miller should start the next game as he offered ar more when he came on.

The much maligned (and more expensive) Lee Miller did more in his 20 minutes on the pitch today than Brewster. He's got quicker feet, a better touch and can win high balls.

ha ha! well done, great gag. although april fools day was last week.

i'd agree that brew did next to nothing on saturday, but to suggest that the lumpen, extraordinarily limited and clumsy oaf that is lee miller is a better player is the most ridiculous thing i've read on this board since it came back.

ha ha! well done, great gag. although april fools day was last week.

i'd agree that brew did next to nothing on saturday, but to suggest that the lumpen, extraordinarily limited and clumsy oaf that is lee miller is a better player is the most ridiculous thing i've read on this board since it came back.

I think Miller gets an bit of a raw deal from a lot of folk. Fair enough, it's just our opinions, but i just think Miller offers us more than Brewster does. Brewster's looking more and more like a 40 year old who hasn't played football for ages trying to get into the rhythm of a game that's just too quick for him now. If he gets time and space on the ball, he can hold it and play a pass in (like in the Hearts game). But defenders know this now, and just don't let him get the time his legs need to keep up with his undeniable football brain.

Miller's limited by his horrific lack of pace, and an almost magnetic attraction to the ground near the opponent's box, but i think he offers more than Brewster does. It's not often he doesn't control a ball, his hold up play's good, he's strong and wins things in the air. I thought, and still do think, that we look a better all round team with Miller leading the line.

Guest lenny

Brewster is too slow and sluggish. His last few performances have shown up his age and how mcuh he's slowing down. He often wins the ball but never holds it up, he's just not doing a job. I think Miller deserves more of a run, before Brew arrived he was winning the abll, holding it up and allowing the rest of the team time to get forward and make runs etc. Far more effective.