Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

How do you play Celtic

So,another disappointing result last night,not the humping it could have been but another defeat where we didnt look like winning.

Question is,with the team we had out last night,what could we have changed to make it a closer contest?

Hearts gave Sevco a roasting by playing(so i believe) a more high tempo,intense type of game than usual.Would this have been more effective for us? Do we have the personnel for that type of game if so?

Inverness in the Butcher era went a long spell where they were giving them good runs for their money.Yes,they had hammer throwers in the early days,but latterly, in Butchers reign, some of their attacking play at Pittodrie was quite pleasing on the eye,thinking these guys are here to win.There was a hunger about them.Some of their build up play was well co-ordinated,they seemed to get into the right positions better than we sometimes do.Maybe were a bit too individual?

If its a case of being more attacking (as a lot of us want),what are we talking,an extra attacker? or taking the game to them more,attacking quicker.Does soaking up pressure like we did,dull your attacking instincts because youre on the back foot,or do we just need to learn how to break more quickly and effectively when we get the chance,maybe work harder for space against teams like Celtic

Rambling a bit and I know Celtic are a better,but a few thoughts to get the ball rolling(and because we know Deek checks these forums for advice),What could we do with what weve got to get closer?

Defensively in the first half I thought we were very good. We pressed them quite high up the field and you could see that we played with 2 forwards (Rooney and McGinn/Hayes) cutting off the distribution to the fullbacks. This meant often the central defender was bringing the ball up the field. We didn't really pressure him because he did little as an attacking threat but it took time and allowed us to organize. No surprise they didn't break us down.

In the second half we did this way too deep so we got stuck in our half much of the time.

Our problem is in attack. We had zero attacking play. We're a fast team and need to get the ball to Rooney to hold up and link with the wide guys. We didn't do that. As a result we went sideways but Celtic pressured Hayes and McGinn so we ended up dropping the ball back then most often lumping/clearing the ball forward. We need to hit our forward and support at pace and we didn't do that.

Certainly have to get closer to them, stop them playing, harass them & stop showing them too much respect.

I absolutely hate watching us, even at Pittodrie, standing off them & making them look good.

Play to our own considerable strengths, using the wings, we have the pace in our team through the likes of McGinn,Hayes,Pawlett & Wright , we will score goals & very likely concede, but i would rather get beat 4 3 than sit too deep and get beat 4 0.

Be more attack minded & also get in their faces from the k.o, we are far too nice & we need a nasty streak, most teams have one (at least).

Their back 3 really didn't help us, it meant Tierney played really high up the pitch, nullifying Hayes completely. It worked well for them. We had the choice of matching up or staying with our tried and tested formation, and we sort of did neither for large parts. Like LADon says, McGinn and Rooney cut out the distribution to the fullbacks, but I thought they could have narrowed in a little and given us something to aim for on the break. McGinn has been playing really central of late and it's no coincidence that he's scoring more, but against a 5, we lost that width. We could have matched up with Considine dropping more centrally and Hayes and Logan as wing backs, but we always seem to fuck that one up for some reason (although it worked at Pittodrie when Quinn got the winner a while back). I think a 3-5-2 was our best bet. I can see why McInnes setup the way he did and it could have worked. The ball didn't stick with Rooney at any point in the game, and when he doesn't have Hayes belting in crosses, the weaknesses in his game (pace) really come through. If Stockley or Storey were just that little bit better at what they were brought in to do, I'd probably start either in this type of game.

My own thoughts are

Play Wright every game for full match or some

Play ovonnor every game- the guy is class even if he's made a few mistakes which ultimately resulted in his dropping ooh er.

Get a tall brilliant centre back pairing ( not easy).

Buy another striker!

And have a better pre match team talk.

Jonestly, what does DM tell the players?

Fergie sryle

It's quite simple. In order to succeed, you have to want to. I suspect McInnes doesn't believe he can beat Celtic, or Rangers actually. He's not made of the right stuff.

The definition of positive thinking that I use is threefold - Desire, Belief & Expectation. Even wanting to win isn't always a given. Wanting not to fail is a completely different mindset but without believing that you can win and going there expecting to win, the game's a bogey. Attitude and mindset. It was ever thus.

Here's another truth.

The reason why I put desire at the front is because the best want to win so badly, they work harder than the rest and they work smarter than the rest. Sacrifice and work ethic is all, and is completely fuelled by wanting to succeed. Too many want it handed to them on a plate and don't have the burning desire to put in the thousands of hours.

you dispense of this "showing them respect" bollocks. You harass, harry and intimidate them.

You set yourself out in a positive formation with a positive mindset and you do the fucking basics properly.

Teams with inferior players to us have given them a better game over the years.

Play our own game instead or trying to adapt to theirs.

I'd have more respect for the team and the management if we get by 2 or 3 goals by having a fucking go.

Can't agree more. Bottom line is tactics mean fuck all if we don't believe we can win, don't display any confidence in attacking and having ago, and don't prepare and motivate the players to win. This is purely DM. Our attitude against Rangers wasn't much better and we should be blasting them out of the fucking sky.

Don't lie down to them and give them the zero respect they deserve.

Games against them are lost before we even get on the pitch as our tactics are shite. Let them worry about us more than we do them. When we beat them twice last season we did so by playing to our strengths. OK they are better now, but they are not as good as being made out to be and still quite weak at the back IF you attack them.