Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Who should be captain?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As the question suggests, should Jack retain his captaincy?  Personally, I think Jack is a good player, his progression has clearly stalled but theres still a player there.  He is, however, not captain material imo.  If you think it should be someone other than Shinnie, feel free to add.

Some interesting stats from The Sheep on Fire on Fezbook:

Goals scored under Jack's captaincy:

Goals scored under Shinnie's captaincy:

Goals conceded under Jack's captaincy:

Goals conceded under Shinnie's captaincy:

Does the pressure of the captaincy get to him? Much like it clearly got to Reynolds before he became super shit - or is it purely down to orders and tactics?

As the question suggests, should Jack retain his captaincy?  Personally, I think Jack is a good player, his progression has clearly stalled but theres still a player there.  He is, however, not captain material imo.  If you think it should be someone other than Shinnie, feel free to add.

Some interesting stats from The Sheep on Fire on Fezbook:

Goals scored under Jack's captaincy:

Goals scored under Shinnie's captaincy:

Goals conceded under Jack's captaincy:

Goals conceded under Shinnie's captaincy:

Does the pressure of the captaincy get to him? Much like it clearly got to Reynolds before he became super shit - or is it purely down to orders and tactics?

Is that an interesting stat? How many games does each stat cover? Don't think you can read much in to it if there's no context to it.

I'd agree jacks not the traditional captain though, sure there were reasons to have picked him but we've probably got better candidates now... if we can take he captaincy off him without seriously impacting the atmosphere in the dressing room then we should.

Lately I've thought Logan would be a good captain, certainly played more of a captains role in the final compared to jack or shinnie. Seems to really wind up opposition players and fans too which is an added bonus  ;)

Considine. Probably one of the few who'll be in the team every week and isn't a whingey little fanny. Shinnie does fit that bill as well of course. I don't believe captaincy has a massive impact on team performance anyway.

Incidentally, those stats say nothing about Jack's captaincy (they don't compare to games where Jack was playing but wasn't the captain - for obvious reasons). I think they do, however, say a lot about how the team plays with Jack in it, because games where Shinnie was captain were because Jack wasn't playing. We are a lot more cautious and disciplined - and thus less of an attacking threat - when Jack is in the team. How much of that is channeled through Jack by Deek's instruction, I'm not sure. It was interesting that Pawlett had 3 or 4 shots on goal in the first half yesterday, compared with 1 (sort of) from Jack. Despite St Johnstone getting their best chances in the second half, it was noticeable that we were much tighter in midfield when Jack moved there in place of Pawlett. I thought we should have had the confidence to give Pawlett another 20 minutes personally as there was no real threat from the Saints midfield that we should have been looking to counteract - again Deek went for caution over risk in an attempt to win (although he perhaps felt adding Stockley was a balance to that - it wasn't, in hindsight).

Is that an interesting stat? How many games does each stat cover? Don't think you can read much in to it if there's no context to it.

I'd agree jacks not the traditional captain though, sure there were reasons to have picked him but we've probably got better candidates now... if we can take he captaincy off him without seriously impacting the atmosphere in the dressing room then we should.

Lately I've thought Logan would be a good captain, certainly played more of a captains role in the final compared to jack or shinnie. Seems to really wind up opposition players and fans too which is an added bonus  ;)

Have long thought Logan or hayes would be good. Shinnie is an obvious candidate as he is a dandy first and foremost. Whilst Anderson wasn't necessary a vocal captain, he led by example which is something that Jack struggles to do. I agree, of we can change the captaincy over ( I.e. When he was injured would have been a logical time)  without causing a rift then do it. We might just see a weight lifted from his shoulders.

Correct those stats don't say much about captaincy but as Rico quite rightly picks up on, they show how much more cautious we are when he plays. Just don't think he has the right player alongside him to allow him to prosper and show what kind of midfielder he is. This has to be addressed in January or we'll slip further behind the hunnery.