Striker Poll ( Well, Kind Of )

Okay, so another inept performance from our main Striker Adam Rooney yesterday, albeit he was far from alone, but I feel it was extremely harsh on Jayden Stockley being dropped.

Rooney remains our best option up front for me, he can be so ineffective for a large part of a game but still score a goal, or two, and we all know goals win games, but I just feel this season, for whatever reason, he's been a lot less like himself.

The reason for this topic is, I feel McInnes has been correct in his decision to drop McGinn, he's also been below par, down to a few things probably, but mainly the lack of a break, and it's maybe catching up with him physically? Anyway, the point I am trying to make is, is it maybe time that Rooney sits out the team for a while to allow Stockley a good run of games? I think he's done reasonably okay whenever he's been involved, and looks like a player that needs to play week in week out. I think he's also chipped in with 4 or 5 goals as well? Not too bad a return.

Am I being harsh or Rooney? Not by any mean saying we should get rid etc.... He's still our main goal threat for me, but I just feel he could use a bit of time on the bench and who knows, Stockley could score goals and make Rooney work extremely hard to regain his spot in the starting 11. 

I certainly wouldn't say you're wrong.

It's hard to argue a case against someone who scores as regularly as what Rooney does / did but i've never been convinced by him. He's got many many flaws and now that he's going through a Darren spell he's got nothing else to offer. To be honest i was a bit disappointed to see him sign a new contract not long ago, it was clear then we weren't going to try and improve on him.

But yes, i would like to see Stockley get a decent run in the team to see what he's got to offer.

We've get a heavy December coming up.

I'd like to see a 4-4-2 played in some games. Put Storey and Stockley up front, give Rooney and McGinn a proper rest and play with a midfield of Hayes, Maddison, Jack and (poss) Pawlett.

Hayes will need some time off as well over the next 8 games, Burn should also get some game time. Freshen things up and it'll tell the favoured few that they will have to focus again to keep their places if those guys do OK.

I would be starting Stockley over Rooney at this moment.

In previous seasons, Rooney used to really get stuck in, he would chase defenders down, hold up the play, win headers from long balls etc. This season though that part of his game seems to have vanished. Not sure if he is just off the boil are just not able to give the same effort he used to.

I would like to see a Stockley/Storey partnership up top.

Undoubtedly Rooney is off form at the moment and there are no signs of any improvement anytime soon however I honestly do not see any benefit of playing Stockley as I don't think he is good enough. That said he could well prove me wrong if given the opportunity and I suppose at worst it might give Rooney a kick up the arse.

One thing I would like to see tried is McGinn through the middle a position he excelled at when he first came here especially as he is a confidence player and scoring regularly would benefit him and the team. With Hayes and Burns on the wings and Maddison in behind I have a feeling that there would be plenty goals. Having Rooney as a sub would be none too shabby either. Never going to happen though  ???

I said similar on AbMad at the start of the season before we picked up Maddison.

I suggested he should be played in the No10 role behind the main striker but that's not going to happen with Maddison there, and rightly so.

I can't see why we can't play with two advanced midfielders (Maddison and McGinn)  and only have the one holding midfielder.... Don't know who that would be though, neither Jack or McLean seem very good at it and for the love of god just play Shinnie at left back.

It's been said for years now that we need a strong holding midfielder and that's because the afore mentioned aren't fit for purpose.

A striker like Rooney is never going to contribute a great deal if he isn't getting chances.  If Rooney was missing chances every game it would be concerning from his point of view.  But at the moment, he isn't getting those chances at all and that's of greater concern I would say. Maybe he isn't making the same runs he used to or his team mates are not spotting him etc.

A bit of time out of the team may well do him good, freshen him up, get a bit of bite back. But the fact remains, he is the best striker at the club and we know he can do it in this league.  The team don't seem to be as fluid as they were at times last season, I think this is the bigger issue. Sort that out and everything else will click into place.

Think folk are being a bit unfair on Rooney. He hardly got a pass on Sunday we were so out of the game. As Bobby said if Rooney was missing loads of chances then I could understand folk saying he should be dropped but he not.

Would agree that we should switch to 4-4-2 though.

Think folk are being a bit unfair on Rooney. He hardly got a pass on Sunday we were so out of the game. As Bobby said if Rooney was missing loads of chances then I could understand folk saying he should be dropped but he not.

No not against the bigots but in previous games he has been less than prolific missing more than a few that Rooney of old would have buried. There is no one else I would rather be on the park to take a penalty but without any other contribution (goals) he is a luxury we can't afford. This is a big part of the reason we are slipping back into the clutches of the also rans.

Would agree that we should switch to 4-4-2 though.

He wasnt mobile enough nor is he big enough.

To receive the ball he has to move into space, he's too slow to do that.

When we attack against teams and are getting men and the ball forward Rooney is great to have as he knows where to go to receive the ball and finish. When we're against it then we need strikers like Stockley that can take the ball down and hold it up while waiting for support. Rooney isnt that good at hold up play.

I dont blame Rooney for his display on Sunday, thats down to McInnes setting up to counter and expecting Rooney to hold up the ball when he should've used Stockley to do that and either had Rooney coming off the bench or played a system that had those two playing closer together.

For large spells of the first half we had Hayes up front and Rooney out wide. That knackered Hayes and also didn't seem to help Rooney who barely touched the ball. Moving Rooney wide is a shite tactic that hasn't worked yet (actually, he did get a goal when coming in late to the box once I mine). Hampden is a big pitch for someone like Rooney to be whooring around back and forth with a midfield that was told to sit very deep.

My take on Rooney is that we're not getting the movement/effort from him that we used to. His job as the sole striker is to get the ball and involve those around him - far too often we play sideways and backwards because Rooney isn't open. As a result our opponents get back and Rooney (and everyone) has even less space. I think we used to be a much faster paced attacking team and I think he scored more as a result - less defenders back and more space. Now there's a lot less space, more defenders, and less chances. As a result he gets a lot less of the ball and isn't involved. I don't see enough games to fully justify my argument but from what I have seen we're not as direct and fast in attack as we used to be, and Rooney is major part of that.

Shockley seems a lot more suited to this type of play and, dare I say, more motivated to prove himself, work hard, and establish a reputation. Rooney is off the boil and needs a break, much like McGinn.

I'm thinking the team needs freshened up big time. We've played the same tactics with the same players (more or less) for the last 3 years. The fact that teams have faced this set up for so long is a possible reason for Rooneys ineffectualness this season. If you cut out the supply to him in the box that's him out the game.

Johnny's having a funny season, McGinn is treading water imo, McLean who would've been playing the attacking midfielder role had we not brought Maddison in, wasn't performing, hence Maddison's arrival.

Thank fuck that boy has come in, could you imagine the state we'd be in just now?  :eek:

Rooney definately needs dropped & ive been saying that for quite a while.

For me, he seems slow,his touch is very poor, is not good in the air & looks unfit.  Stockley i.m.o couldnt do worse & is far better in the air. 

I think we should be playing a 442 system more often with one bigger striker & one more mobile one.

Stockley/Storey or Stockley/McGinn  for instance.

For me, he seems slow,his touch is very poor, is not good in the air & looks unfit.  Stockley i.m.o couldnt do worse & is far better in the air. 

I think we should be playing a 442 system more often with one bigger striker & one more mobile one.

For his size, Stockley isn't great in the air, 'far better' is pushing it somewhat.

Are we really going to see Storey chucked into things now?  I think Storey's time has passed, featured at the start of the season, got the goal v Thistle, seen very little of him since.

I reckon he's out the door sharpish a la Calvin Zola and Gregg Wylde in terms of coming in and the manager realising pretty quickly that it's just not going to work out.

For his size, Stockley isn't great in the air, 'far better' is pushing it somewhat.

Are we really going to see Storey chucked into things now?  I think Storey's time has passed, featured at the start of the season, got the goal v Thistle, seen very little of him since.

I reckon he's out the door sharpish a la Calvin Zola and Gregg Wylde in terms of coming in and the manager realising pretty quickly that it's just not going to work out.

He's certainly got all the hallmarks of a Zola/Wylde style signing, shame as I was excited when the signing was announced.

He's certainly got all the hallmarks of a Zola/Wylde style signing, shame as I was excited when the signing was announced.

I was quite surprised we signed him and even more surprised when up at Pittodrie for the Hearts game I saw more 'STOREY 39' shirts than any other player.  He roasted us up in Inverness in the first league game we lost last season, but the remainder of his season was rather subdued iirc. 

With us signing Storey, Stockley and Burns, added to the 3 Irish men we have, there should really be no excuse for playing players out of position or when they're not on form etc, but McInnes just hasn't used them like that at all. 

Regarding Storey though, has he been given an opportunity? Any player needs a run of games to prove themselves as such, and Storey hit double figures playing the lone striker role for ICT.

He is completely different to Rooney & Stockley, he gives us more pace, more directness and would do a hell of a better job at closing down etc....

Look at Hearts result tonight, they out-possession-ed Sevco, created more chances and were the better team throughout the 90 minutes apparantly, I was working so didn't watch it, just going by BBC Sport updates. I bet you any money that Neilsen didn't change his tactics or personnel just because who the opposition was, they played their own game and won comfortably, 2 up front! Why can't we do that, with Rooney/Storey or Stockley/Storey? 

Regarding Storey though, has he been given an opportunity? Any player needs a run of games to prove themselves as such, and Storey hit double figures playing the lone striker role for ICT.

He is completely different to Rooney & Stockley, he gives us more pace, more directness and would do a hell of a better job at closing down etc....

Look at Hearts result tonight, they out-possession-ed Sevco, created more chances and were the better team throughout the 90 minutes apparantly, I was working so didn't watch it, just going by BBC Sport updates. I bet you any money that Neilsen didn't change his tactics or personnel just because who the opposition was, they played their own game and won comfortably, 2 up front! Why can't we do that, with Rooney/Storey or Stockley/Storey?

I was impressed with Hearts last night. Harried and hussled the huns completely and were more than worthy of their win.

^^^^^ absolutely.

• 3 months later...

Another good performance from big Jayden yesterday.  ;D

His link up play & aerial ability was excellent, won almost every header, I say almost, and brought Pawlett, McGinn etc... into the game on several occasions, the touch in the box for Pawlett, who subsequently hit the side netting, was sublime.

And in my opinion, another game in where Rooney was non-existent. Anyone else noticed that he's been desperately trying to score an overhead kick for weeks now, was unlucky vs Ross County not to score one, but yesterday, he ballooned one way over the bar and it's becoming a bit tedious.

I genuinely love Rooney, his goals have been utterly priceless for us, but he shouldn't be exempt from being dropped if he's offering very little, that is of course, unless we continue to play 2 strikers. Then he has to start, as he can concentrate on getting into good positions etc... I just feel like he offers nothing else, he's literally useless in aerial duels and his link up play is generally poor.

For me, and it's only an opinion, Stockley deserves to get a run of games under his belt. Of course, I would not care a jot if Rooney continued, but I believe we'll get more from the supporting players with Stockley's clearly better all round game.

Another good performance from big Jayden yesterday.  ;D

His link up play & aerial ability was excellent, won almost every header, I say almost, and brought Pawlett, McGinn etc... into the game on several occasions, the touch in the box for Pawlett, who subsequently hit the side netting, was sublime.

And in my opinion, another game in where Rooney was non-existent. Anyone else noticed that he's been desperately trying to score an overhead kick for weeks now, was unlucky vs Ross County not to score one, but yesterday, he ballooned one way over the bar and it's becoming a bit tedious.

I genuinely love Rooney, his goals have been utterly priceless for us, but he shouldn't be exempt from being dropped if he's offering very little, that is of course, unless we continue to play 2 strikers. Then he has to start, as he can concentrate on getting into good positions etc... I just feel like he offers nothing else, he's literally useless in aerial duels and his link up play is generally poor.

For me, and it's only an opinion, Stockley deserves to get a run of games under his belt. Of course, I would not care a jot if Rooney continued, but I believe we'll get more from the supporting players with Stockley's clearly better all round game.

Nice post and I think most would agree that Rooney has been well off the pace for a few months (although still adding to his goal tally).  Stockley did look the part yesterday and I think he deserves a start but he always seems to play better when starting alongside Rooney.  I'd like to see DM stick with the both of them for the next few games, motherwell and hearts. 

We would have Stockley there to win the long balls in, hold it up and either have a pop himself or set up a team mate at the same time we would have Rooney there to do what he does best - getting in the right areas to poach a few goals. 

With our defense reasonably stable at the moment there is no reason why we shouldn't be having a go against 2 teams who are at the worst they have been in a long time.

Great post Kenny. Right form the start Jayden was excellent at killing fast balls and directing them to team-mates. He was so good at it that it was almost like EVERY time, freaky good either with his head or more often, a beautiful cushioned touch.

Unfortunately and like Rooney, he's not the most athletic and both of them are slow and on the wrong side of the pace average. This is why I don't think we can have them both up front. I agree we need to drop Adam and play Stockley from the start. At the very least it's going to get Rooney to work harder in training as he's getting slower and lacking in any sharpness he did have towards the end of 2016.

Aye Stockley is worth a wee run in the side.Brought others into the game well,and won lots in the air.He'd be handier against the likes of County where there was no space to pass into,as long as punting it up to him is because its the best option,and not the standard.

A pairing of him and McGinn or Storey working round about him could be fruitful