Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Alternatives to Sky or Virgin

BigAl

Right guys please old an old man out here.

Currently with Virgin and out of contract paying £120 per month for fibre optic broadband, Sky Movies, Sports, BT Sports, phone line and two boxes in house.

Frankly @ £30 per week this is rediculous. Aware ht there are options around this out there, but pretty thick about such matters. Can someone give me advice on how to get around this.

Need decent broadband, don't need house phone and really wouldl ike as many sports channels and movies as possible.

Advice/options please ?

I have an Amazon Fire TV box, and I installed Kodi. Given my atrocious internet connection it was essentially pointless. An endless fuck about too. Although the Amazon box is good with a Prime subscription, just nae the Kodi part for me. There is another option oot there too, which involves a satellite dish of sorts, which might do a better job. Forgotten what it's called though - basically fake sky, illegalish.

I'm with BT.

£60 a month, superfast broadband, BT TV (sports come included), phone line and second box. There's a good selection of channels, probably about the same as you have with virgin. I swapped from Sky and the only channel I miss is Sky Atlantic.

You'd be another £20or so to add Sky Sports.

You might be looking for one of the Kodi type options but they've never really worked for me and it wont be too long until they're all closed down. Also if you're not very good with all that add on stuff with Kodi you'll end up with nothing to watch. Took me weeks to figure it out and it changes all the time.

I'd rather spend £60 a month and just push the power on buttons on the remotes.

Aye if your internet is decent enough then Kodi boxes are the way forward. Been watching BT and Sky Sports free for almost a year now. Plus using the Exodus add-on, I can almost watch any TV show/Movie that is out there. At one time my Sky was costing me £125 with the fibre optic and full packages etc, but my Kodi box was a set price of £30 and has no monthly fee ! It has saved me a near fortune.

Kodi or a fire stick I've got 2 kodi boxes and a fire stick they all work great amazing for films and even the fitba ..

But I do know there's a sky box you can buy for around £130 and pay a fee of £50 (ish) a year it's certainly dodgy but you I believe are doing nothing wrong but you do need a SKY dish.

This package offers everything for the above price.

I have an Amazon Fire TV box, and I installed Kodi. Given my atrocious internet connection it was essentially pointless. An endless fuck about too. Although the Amazon box is good with a Prime subscription, just nae the Kodi part for me. There is another option oot there too, which involves a satellite dish of sorts, which might do a better job. Forgotten what it's called though - basically fake sky, illegalish.

Think you're talking about Openbox but you need a Sky dish for it, it doesn't work of a Virgin line.

It's full Sky, minus some HD channels for a one off cost of about £60 but there are more expensive boxes. Every year you've to renew your subscription for about £30.

I'm away to bin Sky so looking into alternatives. The wife bought Now TV for the bedroom but don't think she's bought anything off it. I need to find out how that works.

It was a business expense for me but I also can't stand the thought of paying Rupert and also contributing to Wayne Rooney's absurdly large pay packet.

In preparation for getting rid of Sky, I cancelled the Sky Protect Direct Debit. Someone was saying that it's actually a good thing to have, for less than a tenner a month?

Weird occurrence today. Last minute decision to dive into Currys at the Bridge of Dee to look at new TV's. This Pakistani gentleman was looking at the Sony Bravia 55 inch and started talking to me. I said I was just browsing and hadn't done my homework yet but would not be going for Samsung ever again. He then recommended a different model/series of the Sony Bravia, one that John Lewis had. He knew his stuff about HDR and all that so I thanked him for his recommendation, jumped in the car and £1275 later, including some box that records 500 hours of stuff, bought it. He said he had decided that's the one he was going for too. I was never going to deal with Currys anyway. Their Carphone Warehouse people lied to me when I got my phone. And John Lewis have a price guarantee and have a good reputation for customer service.