Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen players who became managers.

I was just thinking about Strachan being manager of Scotland and It got me thinking about ex-Aberdeen players who ended up managers.

There must be a fair few of them.

Some that come to mind......

Wee Gordon.

Willie Miller.

Alex McLeish.

Mark McGhee.

Billy Stark.

And who would you say out of any ex-player future manager has had the most success?

Unfortunately the ex player who has had most success is without doubt McLeish with Der Hun (deceased). Is he a future Dons manager? I'd say its almost inevitable. There is no current manager within our budget range who is sticking out like a sore thumb that could replace McInnes when the parting of ways inevitably occurs ( I know Hartley has been suggested and Houston at Falkirk is a relatively safe pair of hands notwithstanding he is an odious cretin personality wise). So if Eck is available at the appropriate time I reckon he is who we will turn to.

Tattie Cooper

Eric Black has been stand in No1 a few times but is better known as a number two. He was certainly a number two when he left us for Metz.  >:D

Hartley as mentioned and i think i'm right in saying Eoin Jess has either managed or coached in non-league fitba.

I'm sure Jess only coached. You are right in regards Black being a number two when he left for Metz.... I was a devastated 13 year old when I found out he was moving.  :hammer:

There isnt really any of our ex players from the late 90's onwards I'd say would be worth looking at as a manager. Most were shite footballers under shite managers. Thats why half of them have ended up as offshore tigers and BD managers.

Mcleish has been the most successful without a doubt and he hasnt really been that great outside the oldco.

After the McGhee fiasco I'd rather just go for good up and coming manager than old players that have been average to half decent managers at other clubs. 

There are hunners of ex-dandies in manangement

Roy Aitken - the dandies

Toni Kombouare - PSG?

Arild Stavrum - Molde etc

Tommy Wright - Corby Town

Robbie Winters - East Kilbride

Billy Dodds - QoTS?

Judas - Elgin and some yank pish

The dazzler - locaes

Derek Whyte - Partick?

None particularly successful. Indeed, our most successful former player now in management is:

Jackie McNamara

Aye Rico, Jaclyn is probably the most successful player but not manager, which would have to be as Ten Caat said, McLeish surely (granted he's not in management at the moment)? I've often wondered if he'd ever manage us, considering his managerial stock has only been high whilst at the former club known as Glasgow Rangers and Scotland.  Probably has desires to be at a higher level, but not sure he could command it nowadays.

Big Toni was doing a grand job at PSG, if i remember right he won the French cup and did he not win the league? (Would really need to look it up)

But he got booted out and very unfairly to, as money started coming in and they wanted a big name in to bring in big players or big so called players wanted a big name! I think i have got that right!

I have a french mate that supported PSG and loved Toni Kombouare!

Darren Young seems to be doing ok at Albion Rovers.

Big Dunc - was he not at Buckie for a time?!

Bobby Connor was a Ayr for a few season if I remember correctly.

Bobby Connor was indeed at Ayr United for about three years and in his capacity as manager of them he presented my younger son with his Players Player of the Year award at his boys club in 2005.

Jocky Scott

Joe Harper managed Huntly for a while IIRC

Bobby Clark coaching (ie manager) in US college fitba'

probably many more

Joey also managed at Peterhead for a bit,maybe Deveronvale in some capacity?

Gardiner the goalie, Inverurie?

Willie Garner - Keith and a few others

Mixu obviously

Steve Archibald - East Fife,airdrie

Going back a bit, Harry Melrose, moderate success at Dunfermline.

Jim Clunie, ditto St Mirren, Killie.

Jimmy Hogg, Stoney Juniors.

Stevie Murray, briefest of brief stints at Forfar and a slightly longer stint at Montrose.

John Docherty (one appearance for the first team) managed Caley in the Highland League and has caretakered a couple of times at ICT.

Jimmy Wilson managed Elgin City.

I think Graham Leggatt managed in.......was it Canada?

Billy Little managed in the lower leagues, Falkirk (I think) and others.

Going back a bit, Harry Melrose, moderate success at Dunfermline.

Jim Clunie, ditto St Mirren, Killie.

Jimmy Hogg, Stoney Juniors.

Stevie Murray, briefest of brief stints at Forfar and a slightly longer stint at Montrose.

John Docherty (one appearance for the first team) managed Caley in the Highland League and has caretakered a couple of times at ICT.

Jimmy Wilson managed Elgin City.

I think Graham Leggatt managed in.......was it Canada?

Billy Little managed in the lower leagues, Falkirk (I think) and others.

Crikey!!!!

Where did you get that info from?! Surely didn't have that stored away in an AFC corner of your brain?