Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Esson may sign in the summer

Ryan Esson could make a shock returnto the Dons in the summer.

The 27-year-old keeper has been training at Pittodrie since being released by Shrewsbury Town, who he joined from the Dons in 2006.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood hasn't ruled out the possibility of taking Esson on permanently as a replacement for Derek Soutar.

Calderwood said: "It looks as if Derek will leave in the summer because he wants a regular game, so we will eventually be looking for another keeper. "Ryan is only training with us and is great to have about the place  ::).

"You never knowas far as taking him back for good goes, it would all depend on Ryan's situation when we are looking for another keeper.

"I've not even spoken to Jim Leighton about it yet, it will be nearer the summer before we get that sorted."

Met Esson when the dons were over in Holland for their "tour". Seemed like a decent bloke. But hardly a signing that is pushing us forward. Just because we've had them before doesn't mean we should resign them Jimmy. I was not sad to see him leave and was he not Shrewsbury's third choice keeper in the end? For a team allegedly pushing for a European spot, hardly inspiring stuff.  :-\

Ryan Esson could make a shock returnto the Dons in the summer.

The 27-year-old keeper has been training at Pittodrie since being released by Shrewsbury Town, who he joined from the Dons in 2006.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood hasn't ruled out the possibility of taking Esson on permanently as a replacement for Derek Soutar.

Calderwood said: "It looks as if Derek will leave in the summer because he wants a regular game, so we will eventually be looking for another keeper. "Ryan is only training with us and is great to have about the place  ::).

"You never knowas far as taking him back for good goes, it would all depend on Ryan's situation when we are looking for another keeper.

"I've not even spoken to Jim Leighton about it yet, it will be nearer the summer before we get that sorted."

That pretty much tells me that jimmy will sign him in the summer, being good to have around the place seems to be a trait found in many of jimmys favourites

Was glad to see the back of him. Cannae fuckin believe he's being touted for a return! Fuckin waste of space. If he hadn't been a former Don, we'd have absolutely no interest in him whatsoever. It's made even worse by the fact that Esson is one of the players who were a part of the Pittodrie Clique, comprising of the likes of the Youngs, Mackie, McAllister and co. Prance around town like they were some sort of big-time boys ... after getting beaten by Partick Thistle! I was glad to see the back of that wanker. If he signs, we are well and truly going backwards and JC MUST GO!

I'd rather have Preece back. At least Preece was professional and fought for the number1 jersey. Esson was happy to sit on the bench for, like, 20 seasons