Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

St Johnstone v Dons

Game day and no thread Manc. What's that all about. Tough start for the Dons at a venue we have struggled at recently. With Hayes being out would assume Burns would start again as his replacement. Taylor is suspended for this so we will need reshuffle the defence. Given the manager seems very reluctant to play Considine and Reynolds together in the middle would expect OConnor to start at centre half today.

In

Robbie Burns Bar as its open early

North Stand

Quick beer in town then train

2-1 Dons Rooney and McGinn

Game day and no thread Manc. What's that all about. Tough start for the Dons at a venue we have struggled at recently. With Hayes being out would assume Burns would start again as his replacement. Taylor is suspended for this so we will need reshuffle the defence. Given the manager seems very reluctant to play Considine and Reynolds together in the middle would expect OConnor to start at centre half today.

In

Robbie Burns Bar as its open early

North Stand

Quick beer in town then train

2-1 Dons Rooney and McGinn

Thanks for stepping Jute ;) was out all day yesterday!

Think it's quite clear consi and Reynolds doesn't work, so I am really hoping to see o'connor there. Would have. Been nice to see it tested before, but maybe it has been in the closed door feidnlies.

Oot

Cycling to Brighton

Brighton

Train back to London

1-1, rooney

McGinn and Rooney both dropped/rested for today. Good to see McInnes using the squad. Not sure how we'll line up like. I'll guess at:

------------------Lewis----------------------

Logan---O'Conner---Reynolds---Considine

-------------Jack-------Shinnie--------------

--Storey----------McLean----------Burns---

-----------------Stockley--------------------

But it could be Storey and Stockley in a 4-4-2 or O'Connor in midfield alongside Jack, with McLean on the left, Considine in the centre. Good to be kept guessing I suppose.

Who the hell is taking the 'set piece' training?

I've yet to see a corner, thrown in or free-kick cause any hassles for the Saints defence?

One of my fears for this season is we end up with multiple strikers but only Hayes & McGinn capable of providing any service. One is already injured and the other hasn't had a summer break

Bit lukewarm in the first half. Arguably Saints been the better side, but pretty even. Not seen much of Stockley unforunately, nor Storey. Burns looks like he could be a player, but needs a final ball. O'Connor looks like he's capable of actually playing football, which should surely mean an end to Taylor at right centre half. Reynolds and Jack having decent games, as is Lewis. We're getting a lot of time on the ball with very little to show for it so far.

Harsh to judge Burns and Storey this early but sounds like the same old story. No McGinn or Hayes and we severely lack creativity?

From what I've seen of burns (very little in fairness) it seems he's trying too hard to impress. Missed the game today, but sounds like he did all the hard work apart from.the final ball. Have no doubt he'll come good and most importantly, a clean sheet against a team we fair badly against.

Well that was shite. Defensively sound but very little going forward. Stockley won very little in the air and looked pedistrian against there back line. Burns ran about a lot but no end product. Only times we caused them any real problems was when Shinnie got wide. Only positive was we looked solid at the back without Taylor.

Play Shinnie at left back - we lose so much going forward without him there and let's face it, Craig Storie could step in to midfield to do the dirty work for Jack.

Storie would also provide drive from midfield, which was way too pedestrian today, again.  We went long far too often and Reynolds has to sort out that horrible floaty ball he plays towards our centre forwards Adam's apple.

Miles Storey looked promising at first but his final ball was guff pretty much every time.  O'Connor was good and it is clear he is the player who should be taking on the right cb role. Stockley - we went direct to him far too often. Not his fault and there were no runners off him either.

Without Hayes through injury I think resting both Rooney and McGinn was just a step too far. One of them should have started to provide an air of familiarity at least to those behind them.  Pleased to see Ryan Jack looking more positive as he has done in the European games, that's a big positive for us.

However, Kenny McLean was utterly brutal. Again. Time for a rest I think.

Watched Hertz-Sellick today - Hertz are very narrow in midfield, that is something we have to exploit next week.  Is Hayes expected back then? I would certainly hope McGinn is back in the team.  Either way, we need more urgency and we need to be committed.  They were putting it about today and will do so again next Saturday. 

Play Shinnie at left back - we lose so much going forward without him there and let's face it, Craig Storie could step in to midfield to do the dirty work for Jack.

Storie would also provide drive from midfield, which was way too pedestrian today, again.  We went long far too often and Reynolds has to sort out that horrible floaty ball he plays towards our centre forwards Adam's apple.

Miles Storey looked promising at first but his final ball was guff pretty much every time.  O'Connor was good and it is clear he is the player who should be taking on the right cb role. Stockley - we went direct to him far too often. Not his fault and there were no runners off him either.

Without Hayes through injury I think resting both Rooney and McGinn was just a step too far. One of them should have started to provide an air of familiarity at least to those behind them.  Pleased to see Ryan Jack looking more positive as he has done in the European games, that's a big positive for us.

Watched Hertz-Sellick today - Hertz are very narrow in midfield, that is something we have to exploit next week.  Is Hayes expected back then? I would certainly hope McGinn is back in the team.  Either way, we need more urgency and we need to be committed.  They were putting it about today and will do so again next Saturday.

Agree with pretty much all of that and can only hope that Taylor doesn't come straight back in though I wouldn't be surprised.

Thought I'd read that Hayes was out for 4-6 weeks but he's came back early from injury before.

Spot on, Bobby.

100% agree with all that.

I was not too dissapointed in the overall performance to be honest, Would have like a win and to have created more up front though. I felt that MacLean was the weakest link today. He took all the corners and free kicks (until McGinn came on) and they were awful. He played ok in the middle of the park but created next to nothing which meant that the forward line struggled. I would not blame Stockley as he had no service. I like the look of Burns he needs game time, I think this is only his second start and correct me if i am wrong, I don't think he has played a full 90 minutes of competitive football for us yet? I think he will come good.