Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Irn Bru Cup

Dons under 20s currently playing in this joke of a competition beating Formartine 5-0.

I think this is a great revamp they have done in this competition. I wasn't in the slightest bit interested in it before as a supporter of a top flight club, however, with the inclusion of our U20's and teams from NI and Wales, I am now quite keen to read about it and if possible watch the Dons U20's. It is also a great way to get our U20's playing competitive football against senior teams rather than pre-season testimonials. For once good on the SPFL for getting something right! Credit where credit is due.

I think this is a great revamp they have done in this competition. I wasn't in the slightest bit interested in it before as a supporter of a top flight club, however, with the inclusion of our U20's and teams from NI and Wales, I am now quite keen to read about it and if possible watch the Dons U20's. It is also a great way to get our U20's playing competitive football against senior teams rather than pre-season testimonials. For once good on the SPFL for getting something right! Credit where credit is due.

Speaking to fans of the lower league clubs they feel competition has been completely devalued by the inclusion of youth teams. Most see the inclusion of Northern Irish and Welsh teams in the same light as well if not down right madness given the extra costs of traveling potentially involved.

Speaking to fans of the lower league clubs they feel competition has been completely devalued by the inclusion of youth teams. Most see the inclusion of Northern Irish and Welsh teams in the same light as well if not down right madness given the extra costs of traveling potentially involved.

They won't be saying that if they get a trip to Ibrox or Parkhead and 5,000 turn out for a cup tie which would normally only attract a few hundred. Maybe 5,000 is a bit on the high side but the old farm reserve/U20's have always had a good following. I remeber being at Ibrox for a reserve match against the Dons years ago and there was several thousand there.

I dont see why a trip to Ibrox on a midweek night where 3/4 of the ground is shut will suddenly make them say the changes are good for them

Anyway much like other premier teams the youth matches are generally played away from the main stadiums

Celtic u20s played at Cappielow in the last round

Sevco u20s match against Stirling is being played at Forthbank (even though Sevco are the home team)

Dons u20s are playing their match at Balmoor

They won't be saying that if they get a trip to Ibrox or Parkhead and 5,000 turn out for a cup tie which would normally only attract a few hundred. Maybe 5,000 is a bit on the high side but the old farm reserve/U20's have always had a good following. I remeber being at Ibrox for a reserve match against the Dons years ago and there was several thousand there.

216 turned up to watch Celtic youths play Annan and was played at Morton. Not a chance there will be a crowd of 5,000 for a game involving any of the colts sides.

• 2 weeks later...