Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next season

Seen this on Stand Free's facebook page and I think it asks an interesting question.  I know the season isn't over yet, but to overturn (in all likelihood) a 7 point margin is a tall order.  Not saying it can't be done but that celtic result at Killie might be the start of them getting their act together (hopefully not).

Given the squad we have, are you happy and of those in the starting XI, who would you keep and who would you bring in squad/ first team.  Now i'm not saying I agree with this as I still think McGinn needs to play but this is the graphic they used:

12039539_1547444635552985_6563568447754986994_n.jpg?oh=81bb76c1caa74a94c30d23f12ce557bf&oe=5750652D

I'd probably move towards a 4-5-1 formation as I think Rooney does better by himself with someone "in the hole" behind him.  We know McIness always ends pushing Rooney out wide anyway when he has two strikers playing.

Happily have Considine as one of the central defenders and McGinn has to be in the team although I would have him in the hole behind Rooney.

Edit: Should have said I would have Jack in the middle beside McLean. Captain should be Shinnie. Would happily see Brown, Taylor,  Reynolds, Flood, Pawlett  and Robson shown the door and replacements brought in. Would offer Robson a coaching role however.

I actually think we keep McGinn out wide and put McLean behind Rooney. Also for consi to be there we'd need a very experienced centre half alongside him. Think he's ok, more of a squad player than starting XI. I really hope Shinnie is made captain though. Jack just can't hack it.

Making Shinnie captain is the first thing I'd do. Jack being captain isn't working for him. It makes him harder to drop and he's not been playing well enough to not be dropped. Shinnie is an infinitely better player and captain.

McGinn must stay. We can't afford to take quality players like him for granted. Aye he's not been on red hot form of late but his quality is without question.

I agree with the graphic that we need 2 centre backs, a keeper and a striker. Assuming Logan stays.

Making Shinnie captain is the first thing I'd do. Jack being captain isn't working for him. It makes him harder to drop and he's not been playing well enough to not be dropped. Shinnie is an infinitely better player and captain.

McGinn must stay. We can't afford to take quality players like him for granted. Aye he's not been on red hot form of late but his quality is without question.

I agree with the graphic that we need 2 centre backs, a keeper and a striker. Assuming Logan stays.

Agree with pretty much all of that, I'd also like more depth in midfield too but the centrebacks, keeper(s) and a striker should be priority.

The center of our defense certainly needs looked at in the summer, at the moment I honestly dont have faith in Considine, Taylor or Reynolds.

We definitely need another quality central midfield player, another striker is a must and if we have the budget maybe another winger so we have some real competition in there if McGinn and Hayes are injured or off form etc.

In terms of players out, Brown, Considine, Tyalor, Reynolds, Flood, Pawlett and probably even Ryan Jack, as long as decent replacements were being sought after then personally I wouldn't mind any of these players leaving the club.

I'd place a new goalkeeper at the top of the shopping list. It's amazing how much of a positive effect a competent keeper can have on our back 4. It's no coincidence that the centre back pairing has turned to poop since Ward went back down the road.

I'd place a new goalkeeper at the top of the shopping list. It's amazing how much of a positive effect a competent keeper can have on our back 4. It's no coincidence that the centre back pairing has turned to poop since Ward went back down the road.

There are so many stats to back that up. The fact we now concede late goals (75th min plus) and the apparent sheer idiocy of our central defenders would all act as evidence.

Yep, 'keeper for me too. We've got a good outfield squad, we can afford to prioritise a goalie for next season.

A few new faces to stop us going stale also. A striker to replace Church and Goodwillie, and a strong centre midfielder. If the striker isn't a target man, then I'd strongly suggest we get one. The pitches in winter aren't conducive to a passing game, so we need the option to quickly bypass and have our quicker players getting beyond. I think we'd have had at least 6 points extra if we'd had that type of player over the winter this season, which is the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes may try to extend loan forward Simon Church's stay at Pittodrie beyond the end of the season, the 27-year-old Wales international having one year left of his contract with MK Dons, who are threatened with relegation in England's Championship.(Press and Journal)

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes believes there will be no need to make wholesale changes to his squad when the transfer window reopens this summer, with only defender Shay Logan, midfielder Barry Robson and goalkeeper Scott Brown of their permanent staff entering the final months of their contracts. (Press and Journal)

From todays bbc gossip

I certainly would not say no to Church staying.

The lad can score goals. Church, Rooney and Shankland upfront next season, would not mind that at all.

Church had quite a few chances where he got into the right positions but couldn't finish.  If he was happy to sit on the bench (which is where the problem is I think), i'd be ok with him staying. No-one can argue with the goals he's scored.

Do people really rate Storie above Jack?

I'd hope not. Despite having a bit of a poor run, Jack is still a very good player. I thought Storie was a bit of a weak link against Hearts also, just not quite there yet IMO. I think Storie could turn into a very good player though.

I'd hope not. Despite having a bit of a poor run, Jack is still a very good player. I thought Storie was a bit of a weak link against Hearts also, just not quite there yet IMO. I think Storie could turn into a very good player though.

Jack is incredibly frustrating but I think some of that is down to his captaincy, he just isn't one. He is however, on his day, a brilliant player and one I think we'll look back at with fondness in the future. Storie still has a lot to learn.

So, fuck the gloom of the Hearts loss, don't see us catching Celtic now, so looking to the future. I'm hoping for 5 signings this summer at least - a keeper, central defender, tough physical midfielder, creative midfielder, and a forward definitely - McGovern, no clue for a defender, bannigan or John McGinn (unlikely I know but if hibs don't come up why not!), Andrew shinnie, and El Bakhtaoui. What defender is a good realistic fit??