Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Title run in.

We all know how the table stands but looking ahead at games up to the split is interesting. 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/fixtures

Both ourselves and the victims have tricky away fixtures next week and they have already dropped points at rugby park this season.  After the international break they are home to Hertz in an early sat KO then away to dundee the tuesday after.  Another early ko sat away to motherwell takes them into the split and I can't help but think when you look at these fixtures you struggle to see them winning them all. 

After motherwell we are home to hamilton then away to hertz.  Tynecastle is obviously a worry..........  but the fact they are playing the tuesday night prior away to ICT could really play into our hands. 

We obviously need to do the business against motherwell which is going to be tough, they have hit a patch of form but possibly Skippy might be suspended for it which would be a massive boost as he's always a pain in the arse to play against.  If we take 9 from 9 from our final 3 with little good fortune we may even go into the split top of the league......

I hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if we only win our home game. Hearts will certainly be a tough one plus Motherwell are still fighting for top 6. I hope I'm wrong! We're grinding out results and while Celtic have a game or two more they have a deeper squad. We've got to take care of our games and worry about Celtic later.

I was wondering when this thread would turn up :D was half tempted to do it myself last week but old habits die hard and I didn't want jinx the upcoming games at firhill and Pittodrie.

I genuinely don't know what to think anymore. We have the ability. However im genuinely concerned by motherwell this weekend as dingus is a prick and would take great joy in derailing our push. That said, we (the team) have learnt an incredible amount since last season and have proven people wrong countless of times this season. I'm genuinely too nervous to even think beyond a game. Heart says 9/9, head says 4/9.

ANDY WATSON insists that Aberdeen can ramp up the title pressure on leaders Celtic by hanging on to their coat-tails.

The former Dons midfielder was part of a Reds side that timed their run to perfection to win the league for the first time in 25 years.

Alex Ferguson’s side trailed the Hoops by 10 points, having played three games less, at the turn of the year in the 1979-80 season.

But Aberdeen managed to overhaul Celtic’s lead thanks to two wins at Parkhead in quick succession to make history.

Watson was on target along with Steve Archibald, Mark McGhee and an Ian Scanlon double in a 5-0 rout of Hibs in the penultimate game of the campaign.

Celtic had to win to take the fight to the final day but were held to a goalless draw by St Mirren at Love Street which sparked incredible scenes as Ferguson raced on to the Easter Road pitch.

It was an emotional day for Watson to be part of a title win with his hometown team and Dons are now dreaming of league glory for the first time in 31 years.

And the former Rangers and Scotland assistant – now manager of Ilkeston Town – would love to see Derek McInnes’s troops pull it off.

St Mirren's Alex Beckett (left) jumps for the ball with Andy Watson, Mark Fulton and Mark McGhee

Aberdeen are a point behind Celts but have played a game more and Watson insists they must avoid defeat in their post-split Parkhead trip.

The 56-year-old said: “As an Aberdonian it’s great to see my home club right in the mix and that takes me back a few years.

“We won it for the first time in 25 years during my time. We won it in 1979-80 and I came in to the side at Christmas.

“We were about six or eight points behind at that stage so I am taking credit for it!

“I scored a few goals in the run-in. We beat Hibs on the second last day and I managed to get a goal. Being an Aberdeen boy it was great and it’s nice to see Aberdeen up there just now.

“It’s nice there is a pressure on Celtic at the top and that’s something they will relish and look to respond to.

“Remember it was only two points for a win back in 1980 and the fact I got a game was probably because we were so far behind!

“Seriously, there became a point when you knew you had a chance and it was a case of, ‘Let’s see what we can do’.

“We were so far behind but we just thought we’d try to win our games and when Celtic drew a game we got closer.

“As with everything you start to think there is maybe something happening and that stacks up and stokes the pressure a little bit.

“I don’t know if everyone in the country wanted us to win it. We were a bit isolated up there and the focus was on the next game.

“There was a belief in us. You had Gordon Strachan, John McMaster, Mark McGhee, Alex McLeish and Willie Miller. Bobby Clark was the keeper.

“There was a total belief. We didn’t even think about losing.

“I was born and bred Aberdeen, my mum and dad were Aberdeen fans.

“Within the town all my pals were going down to the away games so I knew what it was about for them.

“My dad was my fan and he followed me from schoolboy football and Aberdeen was the only team he supported. It was fantastic.

“It was exciting back then and it’ll be exciting just now. Derek’s done extremely well, they’ll be looking forward to games.

“Back then we all played on the same day and there was no Saturday-Sunday stuff so that brings different pressures. The Old Firm always had more money and the support allowed them to get the better players. If you can go, challenge and are able to win it, it is a great achievement.

“Aberdeen have stood the course this season and that’s been the main thing. It would be fantastic for them to do it.

“Rangers aren’t in the division so it’s one you have to catch – not two. But Aberdeen have done well in the transfer market. Adam Rooney has been a great signing and leads the line well.”

On the Dons next trip to Glasgow, Watson said: “The win would be great but if you don’t lose it you’re still in there.

“If Celtic win you can say it becomes really difficult for Aberdeen. That’s

the pressure that everyone has to handle and deal with.

“It’d be like a cup tie, it’s winner takes everything. It was the same in 1980 as it is now, you have to be able to go down to the Old Firm and beat them in their patch.

“But Aberdeen have confidence and they’ve shown they can beat anyone on any given day.”

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-aberdeen-star-andy-watson-7557258#eGgGsSEomMBS2KsD.99

I'm in denial. I can't believe AFC can win the league come May.

Some of it is psychology, not wanting to declare that we can, in case I jinx it, to guard against being disappointed and let down again but most of it is evidence-based.

The only facts working in our favour is that Celtic and their manager are deeply unimpressive. I still think those declaring that we will or can win title are overly optimistic dreamers who have blindly disregarded recent history and who have no concept of karma.

I'd be lying if I said my hopes weren't up. I find myself thinking about it all the time. But we (like the players and staff) just have to stay calm and focus on the next game. Pay no heed to Celtic or what they're doing. Fact is as it stands it's out of our own hands. Which I'm oddly pleased about because it must reduce the pressure a wee bit. I honestly don't think we'll bottle it. If any of our players to then they shouldn't play professionally again. If you're not here to compete for league titles then you shouldn't be here at all. I think the Celtic are far more likely to shit themselves.

I'd be lying if I said my hopes weren't up. I find myself thinking about it all the time. But we (like the players and staff) just have to stay calm and focus on the next game. Pay no heed to Celtic or what they're doing. Fact is as it stands it's out of our own hands. Which I'm oddly pleased about because it must reduce the pressure a wee bit. I honestly don't think we'll bottle it. If any of our players to then they shouldn't play professionally again. If you're not here to compete for league titles then you shouldn't be here at all. I think the Celtic are far more likely to shit themselves.

The problem is that anything that doesn't involve us winning the league will be put down to lack of bottle. This side has proven on several occasions that they have the bottle (the recent Tims game being an excellent example). What is in doubt is whether we have the depth of quality. But perhaps we won't need it if Rooney is back soon, Church keeps scoring here and there, and we can keep Shinnie, Logan, Hayes, McGinn (I know) fit for the run in. I'm still on the "keep it going for as long as we can" line. I'm hoping to see us in the same position or better come the split, and then I might start getting excited. 4 points is close, but if it goes to 7 at any point, then our chances will be slim, and we might end the season like we did last. This weekend is key for me. I think it'll be very difficult. I think the Tims will drop points before the split though. We just need to drop the same or less.