Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Brian Irvine

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to this last week.  Not Irvine's biggest fan, but found it quite an interesting but sad listen. Didn't sound as though the big chap was in a great place.  Also his regular mentions of writing to Fergie on a regular basis asking for help certainly suggested someone who may not be altogether stable.

I always found it hard to watch Irvine playing football - kinda like a latter day Ash Taylor - as my grandfather put it, 'he's the laddie who won the Corn Flakes competition to play football with his heroes. Just a shame it was a fucking 5 year contract'. 

Found it interesting that he said he learned more from McLeish but felt the most pressure from Miller (in terms of bosses).  He had been dropped for the title run in of 90-91 and was likely 3rd choice centre half under Miller but with McKimmie getting a bad injury it meant he played a lot of matches in 92-93 with Smith going to left back.  He was a pretty poor player but he gave it his all and fair fucks to him, lived the dream (well, my dream, anyway).

Still can't forgive him the fresh air kick in the 93 final though....  :-[:

BB I think you're maybe being a bit harsh on Brian "Scored the winning penalty in a cup final we all thought he'd miss" Irvine.

Yes, compared to Miller and McLeish he wasn't anywhere near, but he's a lot better than most we've had since! Quinn, Reynolds, Whyte, etc. etc.

Met him a couple of times after the MS diagnosis and he seemed ok, but this was a long time ago

BB I think you're maybe being a bit harsh on Brian "Scored the winning penalty in a cup final we all thought he'd miss" Irvine.

Yes, compared to Miller and McLeish he wasn't anywhere near, but he's a lot better than most we've had since! Quinn, Reynolds, Whyte, etc. etc.

Met him a couple of times after the MS diagnosis and he seemed ok, but this was a long time ago

Nah, MBT, I think the old "compared to Miller and McLeish" thing is a cop out as no one expected him to be at that level. He just wasn't very good. He had the turning circle of a lorry. Any ball in behind him and he was absolutely fucked. He was the weaklink in a very good AFC side and as I mentioned, that mistake in 93 was an absolute horror which any competent amateur would be ashamed of.