Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Storie

Seems about time that the boy has a thread of his own.

He's definitely impressed in the past few games and certainly hasn't looked phased in the slightest. Not only that the partnership with Maclean looks very promising also, arguably the most effective cm duo of the campaign so far. Apparently DM was saying on the radio that he expects a new player in before the next game. If so it's pretty likely it's going to be a cm and I'm hoping it's Irvine from county as part of the Quinn deal.

If so it would leave a big decision for DM going into Celtic game. Continue with the inexperienced though currently performing Storie and MacLean or change it up by bringing in the new guy.

I think for the Celtic game we'll see Goodwillie drop out and revert to Rooney up front and the (potential) new guy slotting in beside Storie and McLean moving up one.

The thing I like about Storie is that when he passes the ball his immediate thought is to move into space ahead of him, rather than - like Jack -  playing the ball and immediately drop ten yards. (That's not necessarily a criticism of Jack - it is at times but at other times it's exactly what we need).

The last time I saw Storie before this spell of games he looked like a wee boy, but he's certainly filled out and it looks as though he's physically ready for the first team. Seems to like a tackle too which is good to see, he put in a cruncher on Friday night which I particularly enjoyed seeing.

Cant say the lad has put a foot wrong, he has certainly came in and did a job. I would imagine that we will move for a more experienced CM but Storie should definitely be getting more game time for us. 

Was really impressed with McLean playing in that deeper role against Dundee. Obviously McInnes wouldn't keep him there but he did well.

I guess it will ask the question of where Jack fits in to our team as well. I've long thought that him and McLean aren't the most logical pairing.  Glad to see a young lad come in and handle the pressure of the first team.  Hopefully it gives others a bit of confidence that they can do the same.

Think you're right about Goodwillie BB, despite DG not really doing anything wrong, he's not scoring or looking like he's going to score a goal any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Started quietly last night but grew into the game as time went on. Thought he had a great second half and didn't look overawed in the slightest. Possibly lacks a bit of pace, but that can be worked on. He has had a tough time with injuries and that probably has held him back a bit over the years.

He is out of contract in the summer and potentially free to talk to others right now. Personally have seen enough in the last three games to justify the improved terms contract, and would sincerely hope that the management team are working on this in the background already.

I agree we need to get him tied down.

I too though he started a little slow last night but he fairly grew in to the game and it was excellent to see one of central midfielders not allowing himself to be bullied about by Scott Brown and actually reverse it and get stuck in to him!

Storie I think can mature in to a very good player.

Talk is cheap, lets just get it done PLEASE  :thumbsup:

Copy and paste from Evening Depress

Aberdeen youngster Craig Storie today said he wants to pledge his long-term future to the club.

The 20-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer, has started the Dons’ last three league games, including the crucial midweek 2-1 victory over Celtic at Pittodrie.

While Aberdeen were bitterly disappointed to miss out on signing Inverness Caley Thistle midfielder Greg Tansey on transfer deadline day after making a £200,000 swoop, Storie is proving himself to be a more than capable option in the middle of the park.

The Carluke-born player looked comfortable going head-to-head with Scotland skipper Scott Brown in the heart of midfield as the Dons cut down the Hoops’ lead at the top of the Premiership table to just three points.

Sitting alongside Kenny McLean, Storie once again delivered a tenacious and composed performance in the holding midfield role, following equally impressive displays against Ross County and Dundee.

Storie admits he hopes his performances will be enough to persuade boss Derek McInnes to hand him a new deal at the club.

“My contract is up in the summer, so I need to keep playing well and hopefully get a new contract at the end of the season,” Storie said.

“I think I have a great chance here playing under Derek, so I would love a new contract to stay on.”

The midfielder is finally starting to show the Red Army what made Sir Alex Ferguson try to sign him for Manchester United in 2012.

After a trial with the three-time European champions, the then 16-year-old spurned the Red Devils’ offer to instead sign terms with the Dons.

However, despite Derek McInnes handing him his first-team debut against Kilmarnock in April 2013, on-off injury woe over the following two years prevented him from building on his early potential.

But Storie insisted he has had no regrets about turning down the English giants, especially after getting the chance to play in a top-of-the-table clash with Celtic.

“It proves I made the right decision as I have started playing now,” Storie added.

“I can’t imagine I would be playing down there, so I think I made the right decision to stay here.

“I have had to bide my time and wait for my chance until the gaffer put me in.

“But I think I have done well the last three games I have played – the gaffer obviously thinks the same by putting me in for such a big game against Celtic.

“He actually didn’t tell me I was playing, he only told me an hour before kick-off and I think that helped me – although I had been thinking about it all week.

“It has been a great experience playing in such big games.

“It is a lot better than playing Under-20s.

“I always had the belief I could play at this level.

“The aim is to keep my place now and play as many games as I can until the end of the season.”

• 3 weeks later...

Signed a new deal according to the AFC twitter feed.

No word on the length of deal though.

Either way it's good news!  :thumbsup:

Just saw that as well! Brilliant news!  :thumbsup:

Edit, only until the summer of 2018. But given he's just broken into the team, it probably makes sense.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...