Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

I Believe In Miracles

The above is a film about Nottingham Forest's rise from the old Division Two to be champions of Division One and then European Champions.  Even as someone who has no allegiance or fondness for NFFC I have to say it is the best football documentary I've ever seen.

Most of the players involved are interviewed, there is great footage of Clough and Taylor and great match footage too.  The squad of players seem to have a real affection for the club and Clough & Taylor and their story is told in great humour - John McGovern, Kenny Burns and Larry Lloyd in particular are a laugh.  Like so many other successful English clubs from that time, they had a big Scottish contingent within the squad.

You can pick it up for an Ayrton in HMV/Fopp... very enjoyable 90 mins or so, if you're a football fan (rather than just an AFC fan) you will enjoy this. 

I wish someone would give our '83 lads the same treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

if you can get the full documentary then this is an absolute cracker:

Although I can't help feel sorry for Taylor when I watch it - he's a decent person, and he confronted racists at Wembley which I don't believe many football managers would have had the balls to do back then.

This one is ok, called One Night in Turin, around England at the 1990 WC, great soundtrack to it too. It's based on the very good book All Played Out, some good behind the scenes stuff in both.

I think the full film is on YouTube though (the below is just a clip)

Not sure what he's done to be called that, but i agree he was out his depth. He had been a very good club manager at one point.

How does one explain instinct? I couldn't be arsed trying to explain my dislike of him.

Yes he got some good results at Watford the first time round but ran out of steam pretty early. His win ratio was well below 50% everywhere he went. A total charlatan who lucked into the big job - then failed in it - due to the inept clowns running the FA.

• 4 weeks later...