The Songs 'We' Sing

Without wanting to sound like the old bastard moaning about the kids making too much noise... I really, really can't stick some of the songs/chants etc going on these days in the Dons support.

Adam Rooney is undoubtedly the best striker we've had since Duncan Shearer. The guy scores so many goals for us but our fans can only sing '...having a party, bring your vodka and your charlie'. What? The song we had for Shearer was perfect and it would fit Rooney just as well.

The guy wins us points more than any other player, what about showing him a bit of respect in return?

The Goodwillie stuff is just awful. I cringe every time some clown starts it. Same with child abuse chants against Ronny Deila (wtf?)/Celtic in general. It's not the place for it, child abuse and rape are subjects so serious they should never, ever come into 'football banter'.

Can we not get back to singing songs about how good Aberdeen FC are?  I'd find that so much more enjoyable.

As I said in the match thread, found it incredibly cringeworthy hearing th DG song being belted out. Personally, I'm fine with songs that lambast other teams but obviously prefer songs which are about us. Problem I've always found is that our song sheet has been somewhat limited

You don't hear "we hate glasgow rangers" sung very often these days either.  I loved that one, it ends on such a positive note  ;D

I'm sure no-one cringes as much when they sing it than DG himself.  We really do have some proper spackers in our support. 

The point about lack of decent Rooney song's is valid as is the DS comparison.  No reason why we couldn't start  singing "it's a goal for Adam Rooney", it would likely catch on too.

I like the Adam Rooney song and I'm sure he does too. Plus it's unique to him rather than rehashing an old song about another player. "It's a goal..." will always be associated with Big Dunc for me.

The child abuse chants are not only cringeworthy but puts us on the level of Rangers fans. How any Aberdeen fan can wish to stoop to their level is beyond me.

I think we've actually had a few decent chants emerge in the past year or two though, was hearing a lot coming from the RDS singing section. However strangely in a big away support they struggle to catch on and it ends up being the same old chants.

Some old chants that you don't actually that often anymore that I liked are "we're red, you're dead, we're bouncing on your head" and, in the Scottish Cup, "when the dons, go up, to life the Scottish Cup, we'll be there, we'll be there." Would be good to hear that one at Tynecastle next month.

I mentioned this in the match thread

Adam Rooney derserves so much better and the Goodwillie one is frankly embarassing and repugnant. I find it extremley offensive and the player himself must be mortified.

Problem is if you say anything to the morons singing it they just become aggressive - I don't want to be a party pooper or a boring old fart but I do want to enjoy my footie

Problem is if you say anything to the morons singing it they just become aggressive - I don't want to be a party pooper or a boring old fart but I do want to enjoy my footie

This actually puts me off going to games now.

A particularly irritating teenager appeared next to me at the Hamilton match a few weeks back and proceeded to try and sing about anything his gaze fell upon. The Goodwillie song was also a favourite.

When the sun was in his eyes his songs and comments were about him not having any money and wanting a pie. Most of the time he was going solo. One shining light was when he decided to 'drum' on the back of the stand with a closed fist and appeared to cut and/or break something

He appeared to be part of a larger group in the rows immediately in-front all of which were fine specimens of Scotland's health statistics, who (without a hint of irony) spent large amounts of time referring to the Hamilton fans as scum, slum dwellers, soap dodgers, unemployed etc. The ref and linesmen also seemed to change between catholic and protestant faiths whenever a decision went against the dons.

It has softened the blow of not being able to attend games regularly anymore

There are a ton of scum within the class that are regular football supporters.

This includes our own. I can't remember them being so numerous in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I think it's more to do with the dumbing down of society generally and declining education standards but there's no doubt that tribalism and the feeling of belonging to something, anything is a driver for these morons.

On the day of the Scotland Croatia game at Hampden, the same day that England beat Germany 5-1 incredulously, I first noticed how appalling the average football fan was/is. The jimmy-hatted, kilt wearing throng were an embarrassing collection of humanity. So many shite human beings in the AFC support these days.

So long as they (the Proles) continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.

George Orwell, 1984

Difficult to disagree with any of the comments or sentiments expressed in this thread.

Out and out embarassment at time, and surely fuelled by alcohol consumption.

Noticeable that the majority on here agreeing with said sentiments are in the more mature category though.

That's a point, how it's us oldies that doth protest.

However, it's the lack of quality in these "songs" and utterances.

Those who spout them are mostly shit people.

When we were young, there were particularly offensive and incendiary songs.

"Bobby McKean, superstar, left his engine running on his motor car" was a particularly nasty thing to sing at Ibrox, the week after the Rangers player committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. But back then it was hilarious, a sick sense of humour being quite common amongst many of us. I'm not sure that our universal hatred of all things Rangers justifies that song. It was a one-off, funny as fuck at the time and in the days pre everything having to be politically correct, not even reported on by the press.

Similarly when the Celtic player Johnny Doyle electrocuted himself at home and died "Tommy Burns, so does Doyle, Tommy Burns" was an equally sick and opportunistic song sung by AFC at Parkhead. The morons these days don't even have the ability to properly offend. At least the sickness on our day was in the humour, not from the soul.

I like the Adam Rooney song and I'm sure he does too. Plus it's unique to him rather than rehashing an old song about another player. "It's a goal..." will always be associated with Big Dunc for me.

You mean the same song that we sang for Calvin Zola before Rooney even joined? I think Adam deserves a little better too. Although I have to be honest I've not really thought about it much. I can rarely hear/understand what the "signing" section are saying anyway.

And what DG song are we on about? "He shags who he wants?" I've only heard that once, maybe twice.

You mean the same song that we sang for Calvin Zola before Rooney even joined? I think Adam deserves a little better too. Although I have to be honest I've not really thought about it much. I can rarely hear/understand what the "signing" section are saying anyway.

And what DG song are we on about? "He shags who he wants?" I've only heard that once, maybe twice.

I've heard it a number of times on TV over the past 2 seasons. Highly embarrassing.

I've heard the DG song at every single game this season. Challenged a young lad about it at the Dundee game by asking him "how fucking funny it would be if it was his sister that Goodwillie was accused of raping". He didn't much like that thought and put a lid on it straight away. The rest of his infantile wee pals continued though.

We seem to have a new generation of young arseholes coming through and it's our job to police them, and make sure they know the difference between having a laugh and just being downright cunts.  :hammer: