Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Train Travel

According to Original 106....

NEWS: Scotrail is being asked to give travelling Dons fans discounted rail fares.

It's after Virgin Trains announced a deal with Newcastle United and Sunderland for their supporters to get discounted prices going to away games.

Their fans will also be able to rebook their journey for free if the fixture is rescheduled.

Aberdeen Central MSP Kevin Stewart has written to Managing Director of Scotrail Phil Verster, asking for a similar scheme to be trialed in Scotland for Aberdeen fans

Would help out a lot of people, to be honest, I think it's criminal that you can't already rebook for free. Hardly the fans fault is it!  Fingers crossed something comes of it.

and its hardly the train company's fault if the games are changed either.

Nice thought but Scotrail etc need to make money and if they allow free re-booking for rescheduled matches how long before that becomes free re-booking for rescheduled concerts, Family days out, Business meetings etc?

And what if the game is rescheduled at a time when there no trains running?

Virgin used to sponsor Newcastle so they at least have a history.

Abellio and Aberdeen on the other hand?

Would rather they announced later trains from Aberdeen than this. It's a farce that you cannot travel from Aberdeen to Edinburgh or Glasgow after 9pm on public transport.

This and also when (if ever) they proposed to get their act together and dual the track from Dunkeld to Inverness

Nice thought but Scotrail etc need to make money and if they allow free re-booking for rescheduled matches how long before that becomes free re-booking for rescheduled concerts, Family days out, Business meetings etc?

So what?  You book a train ticket for a particular journey.  Need to change to the same journey at a different time/date, for free.  Scotrail (or whoever) already has your money for the first ticket.  Your still only take one of the journey you paid for.  The train company doesn't loose out.  Don't see the problem.

Given my reputation for fleecing scotrail at any potential opportunity nor do I.

However think like a large transport company and their shareholders.

Say 200 tickets were sold for a train from Aberdeen to Edinburgh for a 3pm saturday kicked off at Tynecastle which is then shifted to 745pm on a Monday night.

Tickets for that Monday night train will be more expensive as it is peak Commuter time but under this rule they could have up to 200 people who are entitled to use off peak tickets on that service.

Are they also to assume that there are now 200 emtpy seats on a Saturday train which they could now sell or do they have to go on the scenario that all those Aberdeen fans all decide 'fuck it lets go see Edinburgh Castle and Hollyrood'?

Far as I'm concerned the MSP would be better lobbying the SFA, SPFL, BT & Sky to provide a compensation fund which fans from all clubs can claim from if games are rescheduled after they have purchased train/ bus tickets.

aye capitalred its bastard, I will book my train tickets for 31st October  the celtic game away next week, should get for £25 return as its 12 weeks before.  would like jump on the train next week for mwell but nae paying £50 odd . if I got for half I would easily jump on it and so would heap more.    always preferred the train since the 80s .  will probably pay $50 to Edinburgh for next months  hearts game as canna be arsed driving.  the fools would get load bookings if prices were not fucking rip aff.  nationalise the trains again bring back the  old carriages of the old trains and in we pile .    least we got seat back then.  even though we lay across the luggage racks.  some great laughs on them trains. service train down lumped on the special on way back