Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

After a shaky start, which I would say is fair enough given he is young and being thrown right into the deep end, I think he's starting to show what he is capable of.  Don't think he could do much about the two goals yesterday, one was clinical and the other was a peach of a strike. Defence let him down at those points.  Made a very good save towards the end to make sure it stayed 2-1.  Also seems comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Keep it up!

2A2F1BD300000578-0-image-m-3_1436226800472.jpg

After a shaky start, which I would say is fair enough given he is young and being thrown right into the deep end, I think he's starting to show what he is capable of.  Don't think he could do much about the two goals yesterday, one was clinical and the other was a peach of a strike. Defence let him down at those points.  Made a very good save towards the end to make sure it stayed 2-1.  Also seems comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Keep it up!

2A2F1BD300000578-0-image-m-3_1436226800472.jpg

Made 2 very good saves towards the end. I think the second one was how Kairat ended up with the corner from which they hit the crossbar. Insighted and curling into the far corner yet he got 2 strong hands at full stretch to turn it round the post.

Bit of a pet hate of mine, but hate seeing keepers get beat through their legs at their near post. I realise they're trying to make themselves bigger but if he'd kept his legs shut they wouldn't have scored their first. Nearly got caught out for this later in the game but managed to shut his legs quick enough to knock it out for a corner.

Bit of a pet hate of mine, but hate seeing keepers get beat through their legs at their near post. I realise they're trying to make themselves bigger but if he'd kept his legs shut they wouldn't have scored their first. Nearly got caught out for this later in the game but managed to shut his legs quick enough to knock it out for a corner.

Thomsod you are right that if he had kept his legs shut he would've saved that shot but as all goalkeepers and good strikers know this is an unavoidable weak spot for goalkeepers as they need to spread their legs to give them more balance and as you rightly said make themselves bigger. It is all about reducing the time it takes for them to get a hand or a foot to the ball if it is shot to one side of them. Standing legs shut is asking for the ball to be hit to one side giving the striker a choice and a bigger target. It is still difficult to stick a powerful shot right between the keepers legs as was shown later in the game when Ward got his foot in the way to block a shot.

I dinna get this. It's like one of those phrases that has just stuck over the years "shouldn't get beaten at his near post". If he'd had his legs shut then the boy would have belted it in the far corner. They both result in goals, and neither is harder to finish than the other. It was just a good finish, as there wasn't much of a gap to hit.

I dinna get this. It's like one of those phrases that has just stuck over the years "shouldn't get beaten at his near post". If he'd had his legs shut then the boy would have belted it in the far corner. They both result in goals, and neither is harder to finish than the other. It was just a good finish, as there wasn't much of a gap to hit.

He's not Billy Thompson FFS

i think from the angle he couldn't have hit the far corner. there was only one place he could score and it was through the keeper. to be fair, it is nit picking of the highest. i take the point about balance. just hate seeing it go through a keeper's legs. if it gets battered into the far corner then fair enough it's a cracking strike.

Wasn’t sure of him after the first two games.

The fact he commands his area and actually comes off his line for the ball has won me over. No complaints about last night, just two very good goals i thought, they happen.

although his "much vaunted" kicking is not really a great deal better than some of his much maligned predecessors  :greengrin:

Wasn’t sure of him after the first two games.

The fact he commands his area and actually comes off his line for the ball has won me over. No complaints about last night, just two very good goals i thought, they happen.

although his "much vaunted" kicking is not really a great deal better than some of his much maligned predecessors  :greengrin:

Bit in bold especially. You can tell her really communicates with the defence in front of him. He seems to collect most crosses that come into his area. A noticeable difference from last season, well especially with langfield is that the defence are happy to pass it back to him.

As Stooge and Jute mentioned in the match thread, he seems to be spilling long range efforts / shots which we really do need to coach out of him. There's no doubting he's a good keeper and I'm confident he'll have a good future but that is something that needs to dealt with. Hopefully it will come with proper first the experience.

We have signed a player with potential, far from the finished article.  It is important we accept he will make one or two errors over the season, as every keeper does. The important thing is to back him not get on his back.

The fact that McInnes appears to have him as our number one over Langfield who has been here over 10 seasons and Brown who finished last season as number one, speaks volumes of how high he must rate him.

I think the guy is a step up from the previous holders of the jersey and will prove to be a good keeper.

I was really frustrated with the goal.  I'd mentioned in the post United game thread that I was uncomfortable with how he was dealing with long range efforts.  He's been beaten by a few and he's spilled several more. 

He has shown strength in other areas and, overall, I think he is an upgrade on Langfield and Brown.  He's just not the finished article.

It's one of those things with young loan players and it's where we are.  We've tried numerous other approaches to improving on Jamie and he's managed to hold on to the number one jersey for a decade.  Ward will definitely improve over the course of the season here.

• 4 weeks later...

Ward is the most valuable addition to the squad this century.

You can't win titles with anything other than an excellent keeper.

Even a competent keeper isn't enough to win the league. You need a good one at least.

McLean and Shinnie have been great signings but Ward may prove to be the best.

We've not had a competent keeper for over a decade before him.

• 3 months later...

I think Rocket's comment still stands.  Ward has proven to be an excellent acquisition.  Unfortunately it will be hard to see him be here next season but you never know.  If Liverpool are happy and we're happy (can't see why we wouldn't be) then he might be here next season.  Seems to also be benefiting from having a solid back four in front of him as well. During our lean spell, I don't think we could hold him accountable for any of the goals conceded.

KEEPER Danny Ward today warned the Dons have emerged stronger from their recent slump and are now ready to rediscover their red-hot early season form.

Unbeaten in five games, Aberdeen have reclaimed second spot in the Premiership.

That resurgence was in stark contrast to a nightmare run of form that produced just one victory from eight.

The 22-year-old Welsh squad keeper admitted confidence was dented amid that uncharacteristic slump, the worst run in boss Derek McInnes’ two-and-a-half-year reign at Pittodrie.

He reckons other teams would have buckled but not the Granite Dons, who came out the other side to register another streak of victories.

And Ward insisted the Reds, who are set to face Kilmarnock away tomorrow, are determined to rediscover the sensational early season form that racked up eight straight wins.

He said: “After coming out of that bad run we are stronger.

“We have started winning again and ideally we can keep building on that to get back to the form we showed at the start of the season.

“There are always going to be testing times when things aren’t going your way.

“That is when it is important as a group of players that you stick together and there is no tension between the lads or people jumping ship or straying.

“It can be easy to go down that route but the fact we all stayed together as a group, remained positive and worked hard is testament to the boys and the staff.”

Just watching falkirk v orribles. Danny Rogers has played really well, some good saves and looks to have a good command of his area. Not only that just saved an injury time penalty top stop the huns from equalizing. In short he looks ready to take the no1 spot, ward has been great for us but I hope Rogers is in nets next season.

Ft 2-1 falkirk

Just watching falkirk v orribles. Danny Rogers has played really well, some good saves and looks to have a good command of his area. Not only that just saved an injury time penalty top stop the huns from equalizing. In short he looks ready to take the no1 spot, ward has been great for us but I hope Rogers is in nets next season.

Ft 2-1 falkirk

I was watching that and he was very impressive indeed.  Would need to see more of him before throwing him in as our number 1 but if he performs as he did today consistently them he could be very good!

Rodgers was very well thought of at Dumbarton last season and after a sticky start seems to be winning Falkirk fans over as well. I would like to see him given a chance with us next season rather than take another teams player on loan.

Would imagine he'd be off if he's not going to be first choice next season.