Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Defence

Very early days yet, but I have to say, I thought the defence looked a lot more comfortable last night (after the first 10 minutes of madness).  Are we better without Reynolds in the team?

I thought the back pairing of Considine / Taylor worked very well and competently.  Obviously complimented by having to full backs who bombed forward whenever they could and a beast in Quinn in front of them but still.

Just thought I'd put it out there...thoughts?

Aye the keeper can make all the difference, but Considine  has been immense for few seasons now and Taylor has proved over a whole season that he is big asset, he is going to make the odd blunder and if he didn't he would not be playing for us. Quinn also looks like judging by last night, that over the whole season he will  get pass marks. add in Logan and Shinnie  and its a defence to be well happy with.  Reynolds has not hit the form he did year so ago. It might not be as big loss as we would have thought. but hope he is back soon but we will be fine. 

Aye the keeper can make all the difference, but Considine  has been immense for few seasons now and Taylor has proved over a whole season that he is big asset, he is going to make the odd blunder and if he didn't he would not be playing for us. Quinn also looks like judging by last night, that over the whole season he will  get pass marks. add in Logan and Shinnie  and its a defence to be well happy with.  Reynolds has not hit the form he did year so ago. It might not be as big loss as we would have thought. but hope he is back soon but we will be fine.

With any luck, if Reynolds finds it hard to force his way back in the team then that might be the fire lit under him that he needs to return to his previous form.

Not sure if it was the fact Reynolds wasn't in the back line or just the fact that McInnes may finally got the players used to playing the 3 at the back that he has tried previously.

After the first 10 Minutes or so against Rijeka we seemed to get a grip at the back and were than fairly solid throughout.

Danny Ward I think has helped, comes for a ball and is very vocal.

In Shinnie and Logan, I think we've got the two best fullbacks in the league.

Ward is certainly looking like an upgrade thus far too.

Reynolds, Considine, Taylor and Ward give us genuine strength in depth.

I guess Quinn provides cover for Logan too at RB, though if Logan does move on, we'll need to strengthen there.

All in though, looking good at the back.

Would still like to augment the attacking options.  A striker and an attacking midfielder.  Can Shinnie nae get his brother up the road?

Wasn't able to watch the match last night and I know we conceded two (albeit one was a freak of a deflection) last night.  How did the defence compare to the week before? 

I'll accept your comment about having a keeper who commands his box, something I noticed in the first leg too was how much he spoke to his back line.  Joy to see!

I only got to see part of the second half (fortunately it was the part with all the goals) but I was really concerned about the team seemingly sitting back and inviting Rijeka to attack. Its asking for trouble and I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Exactly. We invited them on far too much and got punished. Their first goal was classy but happened because we were happy to watch them attack us. Their second goal was a fluke but it's still a case of if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle. He should have been closed down quicker.

the first half our work rate was immense  and it was hard keep that up, they were aye going have a spell and as much as we seemed sit back they pushed us back  for 15 mins,  if that was against Dundee etc I be pissed aff , but at the end the day Rijeka are nae mugs .  but over the two games our defence was far superior

Watched the game back last night and I don't think we'll be able to play like that domestically. As you guys have said, we invited way too much pressure onto ourselves, particularly in the second half. Something seemed to change, maybe they got nervous I'm not sure but it seemed a bit chaotic to start with. Still, a very good performance and the guys seem to know where each other are, plenty of passing out from the back rather than hoofing it. Quite a few of the hoof balls even found goodwillie. Can't say Ward had much to do apart from pick the ball out of the net twice.

I could pretty much copy and paste this from the previous post.  First 1/2 and first 20 mins in particular we were way too deep and let them score two goals.  Lucky to not be further behind but seemed relatively composed with our distribution and passed out the back a few times.

• 3 months later...

Seems like a relevant time to bump this thread.  What a difference a few months make.  The only things which still apply to what I mentioned at the start of the season is Ward.  Our centre half pairing (which ever one it seems to be) has been so inconsistent since the slump started.

I think ED touched on the preferred defence Logan - Quinn - Reynolds - Shinnie

It's certainly a line-up i'd be happy with and like to see stuck with for a few weeks to allow them all to form a partnership. This chop and change isn't doing anyone any good.  Least of all the fans!

Regardless of whether Logan leaves in Jan or not, we need someone to cover that position. McLaughlin is useless.

I don't rate Quinn or Taylor. Between the pair of them I'd pick Taylor though.

In an ideal world Reynolds-Considine would work as partnership.

If we can get a tough tackling midfielder then Shinnie can play permanently at LB.

Until then he's better off in midfield and defence should be Logan-Taylor-Reynolds-Considine.

Not seen McLaughlin kick a ball for Aberdeen so no idea if he's useless or not.

If we can get a tough tackling midfielder then Shinnie can play permanently at LB.

Until then he's better off in midfield and defence should be Logan-Taylor-Reynolds-Considine.

Yes.

From his showing at Hibs (I know only one game) then he is not even as good as useless. Looked totally out of his depth.

For be the best pairing is still Reynolds and Taylor.

Taylor can have that bomb scare moment but to be honest so does Reynolds, Quinn and Considine.

The blame for our recent performances does not solely lie at Taylors feet.

Correct. His missus' knockers have to take some of the blame.