Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Alton Towers

Tyrant

Following on from the news from last week that a roller coaster crashed it's been published today that one of the people on the ride has lost one of her legs. By all accounts there another 3 or 4 folk that are in a bad way as a result. It's horrendous news like. Despite being a veteran at the age of 30 now I still absolutely love roller coasters. The bigger the better (aye teehee). I can't remember the last time there was a theme park incident this bad in the west. Apparently poor building practices makes this almost a fairly common occurrence in places like China? Not sure how true that actually is. But I always rationalised that the build quality in places like the US and the UK would be good and testing procedures thorough. I know that you can never guarantee that things won't go wrong no matter how much testing you do but the chances must be really remote. I know they still are but that doesn't help these poor fuckers with mangled legs. Although I dare say the compo that they'll undoubtedly get will be in the 7 figures at least (especially the girl who's lost a leg) so at least she won't have to worry about paying the bills in later life.

Any roller coaster or theme park fans here? Does this put you off riding? I haven't been to Alton Towers since 2000 and I haven't been to Thorpe Park since 2010 but a mate and I were thinking of going (to the former) later on in the year as we're down in the region for something else anyway. These UK parks aren't in the same league as their American counterparts. (Sporting events and theme parks - two things that America has spot on!) But I don't think this would put me off given how remote the chances of accidents are.

I'd be quite surprised if the compensation is more than 6 figures.

There have been several comments saying the smiler could be even more popular now because the 'risk' element has been kicked up several notches.

Personally I find roller-coasters dull these days. Last 2 I went on were the Cyclone at Coney Island and 'the scenic railway' at Luna Park, Melbourne. Both are very old wooden coasters and the scenic railway even has a 'brakeman' who has to ride it standing up. Had the advantage of visiting both on weekdays during school time so no queue.

Alton towers has never been that impressive for me and queuing 3hrs for 'Air' about 13 years ago despite paying through the nose for 'special' queue jump tickets probably killed the whole thing.

They are just so short for the length of time you so often end up waiting. Plus being classed as 'tall' means my knees usually dont thank me for riding them

I personally prefer forking out £60-£100 to jump off buildings, bridges, cable cars etc. Much more adrenaline and so much quicker.

Wont get me jumping out of a plane again though.

I'd be quite surprised if the compensation is more than 6 figures.

There have been several comments saying the smiler could be even more popular now because the 'risk' element has been kicked up several notches.

Personally I find roller-coasters dull these days. Last 2 I went on were the Cyclone at Coney Island and 'the scenic railway' at Luna Park, Melbourne. Both are very old wooden coasters and the scenic railway even has a 'brakeman' who has to ride it standing up. Had the advantage of visiting both on weekdays during school time so no queue.

Alton towers has never been that impressive for me and queuing 3hrs for 'Air' about 13 years ago despite paying through the nose for 'special' queue jump tickets probably killed the whole thing.

They are just so short for the length of time you so often end up waiting. Plus being classed as 'tall' means my knees usually dont thank me for riding them

I personally prefer forking out £60-£100 to jump off buildings, bridges, cable cars etc. Much more adrenaline and so much quicker.

Wont get me jumping out of a plane again though.

I just won't go to a theme park during school holidays. I've been to Florida twice, both times in September and the American and British kids were at school and there were next to no queues at any rides. It was pretty awesome. And the roller coasters were world class. The Hulk is one of my favourites. But the best park for roller coasters is Busch Gardens. Sheikra was my favourite coaster. There's an old style wooden one there too. They jolt you about something chronic and aren't usually very fast/high/intense. Also being a tall chap the restraints can be tight. My shoulders get most of the punishment on newer coasters and my knees on older lap bar style ones. Although generally amazing rides and the day we were there zero queues. If I was there during busier periods I always said I'd pay extra for fast passes.

We all know the UK parks just don't compare but Alton Towers seemed to be trying to make a decent fist of it. I think there are a few new rides since the last time I was there. Smiler being the newest one.

I've never bungeed or jumped out a plane. I think I'd like to. But I dare say it's a hell of a lot more scary than even the most intense theme park attraction.

i would recommend everyone to go and do a sky dive once in their lives.

i was lucky enough to do this with the Army back in 1992

and no this is not my video, back in those days portable cameras were not widespread

I'd second that... I did a skydive last year and it was fantastic!

Anyone who joined the army had a massive defect in their life.

Totally disagree, where i do think there's an issue is on the evidence of the two mates who joined up back in the day who became total aggressive almost alcoholic arseholes.

Conversely one of my daughters ex-boyfriends, who was a pretty sound lad it has to be said, probably became an even more sound lad when he came out after 5 years, even after an Iraq tour.

Generalisations are indeed just generalisations rocket min.

"Theme parks" being attractive propositions for anyone other than those who aren't legally old enough to have sex is tragic. "Thrill-seeking" huh? Fucking morons. Adrenalin comes from real situations, not fabricated artificiality shite.

Bollocks. Probably the scariest experience of my life (especially as someone with an aversion to heights) was sitting on the front row of oblivion 10-ish years ago with my daughter as they stopped the ride on the edge of "oblivion". I closed my eyes from thereon in, but at least unlike the 4 20 year olds who got on and got off before the ride started, I saw it through.

I bet if we put you up against your greatest fear you'd find going through it quite an achievement? Maybe your challenge could be "being nice to everyone you meet in 24 hours"? I imagine that could bring you out in a cold sweat?

Bollocks. Probably the scariest experience of my life (especially as someone with an aversion to heights) was sitting on the front row of oblivion 10-ish years ago with my daughter as they stopped the ride on the edge of "oblivion". I closed my eyes from thereon in, but at least unlike the 4 20 year olds who got on and got off before the ride started, I saw it through.

I bet if we put you up against your greatest fear you'd find going through it quite an achievement? Maybe your challenge could be "being nice to everyone you meet in 24 hours"? I imagine that could bring you out in a cold sweat?

:lolabove: well played