Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Training Facilities

Surprised this isn't already on here!  Good news to finally see some progress off the field on this after so many years of talk.  From the EE:

THE Dons today confirmed work has finally begun on building their new £7 million training ground at Balgownie.

It will be done in stages over the next year, but Dons manager Derek McInnes and his players are expected to be working out of it by the early part of next year.

The Dons have been reluctant to finally confirm where the new training ground would be based until final contracts have been penned with partners Aberdeen University, who own the site.

But when asked where the new facility is being built, Dons vice-chairman George Yule replied: “It will be at Balgownie.

“We are close to securing all the necessary agreements and some minor work has already been carried out at the site.

“We are hoping to see that stepped up during July. The intention is for the work on the three professional standard pitches to be completed by October.

“It’s unfortunate it won’t be ready for the start of the new season, but we have alternative arrangements in place for the first team to use.

“But it’s a positive that we will finally be working out of our own facility by the turn of the year.”

The cost of building the complex will be around £7 million.

It will contain six football pitches and a new rugby pitch, which will be used by teams from Aberdeen University.

Two of the football pitches will also be artificial, which would help manager Derek McInnes prepare his team for games at the likes of Hamilton and Kilmarnock, who have similar surfaces installed in their stadiums.

The existing pavillion at Balgownie will also be demolished and replaced by a state-of-the-art facility.

Yeah it's great news manc, it sounds like it will be a facility to rival anything in Scotland. Far cry from the players training on the dog shit and weirdo laden seaton park

:-[

No longer will Theo Snelders have to shout at 9 year old me for playing football behind his goal and putting him off.

Grumpy cunt.

Disappointed I cant find anything on the Planning website. Given ACC's reputation for fucking up the Planning Process in recent years I'd like to see something submitted ASAP

Surprised that is the case.  Given that the university are involved, I wouldn't have thought there should be problems.  Different story if it were just us...

Ha, if the uni are involved, problems are highly likely at the moment.

All capital projects are on hold, 150 staff are getting made redundant and, most importantly, my expense account is looking less favourable.

Really?  There was me thinking that the council would be the problem in this  :-\

This why you're away to China to take advantage before the cuts? ;)

• 1 month later...

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/6437.php#.VZ_e2PlVhHx

The University of Aberdeen and Aberdeen Football Club have been working for some time on plans to develop the University's Balgownie playing fields into a shared sporting facility to benefit both parties.

As plans have progressed, it has become apparent that the combined usage demands will be too great for the facility to accommodate and as such it has been decided to discontinue the proposal for shared facilities.

The University will continue to use Balgownie as one of its main sporting facilities and the current usage of the site by AFC, AFC Youth Development and AFCCT will remain for the rest of this season as per the existing agreement with the University.

Aberdeen Football Club can also confirm that it is investigating potential opportunities for training facilities at alternative specific sites within the area.

While both parties are disappointed these plans have not come to fruition, the project has fostered a stronger working relationship between AFC and the University and both organisations look forward to continuing that relationship going forward.

I can't say I'm overly surprised... hope the club have something else up their sleeve.

http://www.afc.co.uk/news/6437.php#.VZ_e2PlVhHx

I can't say I'm overly surprised... hope the club have something else up their sleeve.

Fucksake, that's a bit of shite news! We really need to get some proper training facilities, way more than we need a new stadium. Its a shame they haven't managed to work their relationship out, but surely when its been so close to delivery, they would have established the usage requirements as part of the brief early on ???

• 2 weeks later...