Steven Hammell set for Well Return

Guest BTR

I was excited when I heard of Hammell originally wanting to move to us. Despite the fact he's done jack shit down in ... wherever it was. Was it Luton? No. Swindon? Where the hell did he go again?

Anyway, I'd still have him in a Dons shirt. Quality defender, imho! Easily a step up from Hart

I was excited when I heard of Hammell originally wanting to move to us. Despite the fact he's done jack shit down in ... wherever it was. Was it Luton? No. Swindon? Where the hell did he go again?

Anyway, I'd still have him in a Dons shirt. Quality defender, imho! Easily a step up from Hart

Don't agree with that at all. Possibly better going forward than Hart, but not a better defender.

EDIT: Should also add, that comparing the two is a bit daft as one's a left back and the other a right back.

The sun were reporting that the bid from motherwell was around £50,000 and that Aberdeen were set to miss out on Hammell due to their "refusal to pay transfer fees, despite taking in £300,000 in the transfer window"

Apparantly Motherwell are also tracking Simon Lappin, i hope he is on Calderwoods radar as well, always seemed like a pretty good player

"refusal to pay transfer fees, despite taking in £300,000 in the transfer window"

We might as well pack it up if this is the case. If we cant stump up a tiny bit of cash to get the likes of Lappin or Hammel who would be great options at left back due to the fact they are left footed AND are not total fucking cart horses, whats the fucking point?!

The sun were reporting that the bid from motherwell was around £50,000

Well another rumour (and given his recent record of paying over the odds for players) is that Sturrock has offered Motherwell £150k for Jim Paterson.  While Paterson may be a reliable enough player for Motherwell, he isn't better than Hammell...

Well another rumour (and given his recent record of paying over the odds for players) is that Sturrock has offered Motherwell £150k for Jim Paterson.  While Paterson may be a reliable enough player for Motherwell, he isn't better than Hammell...

Was Paterson not at United when Sturrock was manager?

Apparantly Motherwell are also tracking Simon Lappin, i hope he is on Calderwoods radar as well, always seemed like a pretty good player

Well have signed him on loan until end of season apparently.

Decent player, but unsure if he's AFC-class (can of worms well and truly opened there...).

EDIT: just noticed been posted on other Hammell thread, might be worthwhile merging mods?

Just to confirm the Dons did try to sign Hammell:

SHOPPING EXPEDITION SATISFIES JIMMY

08:50 - 05 February 2008

Jimmy Calderwood says he is delighted with his acquisitions in the January sales - even though he missed out on two leading targets.

The Aberdeen manager signed Stuart Duff from Dundee United, David Bus from Dutch outfit De Graafschap, Alan Maybury from Leicester City and Middlesbrough's Josh Walker - with Michael Hart and Chris Clark departing for Preston North End and Plymouth Argyle respectively.

Calderwood tried to sign Steve Hammell from Southend, but the defender opted for a return to Mother-well. The Dons manager was also tracking Middlesbrough forward Ben Hutchinson - a £250,000 capture for Celtic last week.

Calderwood said: "I'm pleased with the signings we have made in January.

"We put in thousands of miles watching different players throughout theseason but when you getthe people you want it all becomes worth it.

"The only slight disappointment was Steve Hammell, who we tried to sign from Southend. He phoned me to explain his reasons for choosing Motherwell and I appreciated the call. Not every player has the decency to do that.

"Ben Hutchinson is another player we had watched but our chances of getting him slipped when he was recalled to the Middlesbrough first team.

"Those trips were not wasted because it was in one of the Middlesbrough reserve games we first saw Josh Walker and I'm delighted we picked up on him."