Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scottish Cup - Brechin to be kicked out?

Guest Nellie The Don

Brechin 1-1 Hamilton HT

King 48        McLaughlin 12

Is this a replay, or the result of a postponement i.e. does it get played to a finish tonight?

Is this a replay, or the result of a postponement i.e. does it get played to a finish tonight?

Tonight's game is a replay and it will be played to a finish.

Guest dundee_red

Should be a good for us although Hamilton have been struggling lately and might have been a better draw.

We should be able to beat either team though, especially at home.  A good draw in the 1/4 final, and we could (tomorrow pending) be on for 2 trips to Hampden this season  :thumbsup:

We should be able to beat either team though, especially at home.  A good draw in the 1/4 final, and we could (tomorrow pending) be on for 2 trips to Hampden this season  :thumbsup:

Far too much optimism in that post for some of our doom and gloom merchants ;)

Brechin not guaranteed yet - My post from Aberdeen-Mad:

Just back from the Brechin game. Cracking cup tie, brilliant, exciting game and end to end. 2 cracking goals from the Glebe Park side...BUT...Brcehin played Richard Paton tonight, signed from us. Apprently, he wasn't signed in time for the original tie, so may actually be cup tied for the original and any rearranged games. Hamilton didn't play Simon Mensing tonight for just that reason. After they lost, the Hamilton secretary came in to the referees room and informed him that they are appealing the result due to an ineligible player. May go to a fine, a replay or even Brechin to be chucked from this year's competition.

Brechin not guaranteed yet - My post from Aberdeen-Mad:

Just back from the Brechin game. Cracking cup tie, brilliant, exciting game and end to end. 2 cracking goals from the Glebe Park side...BUT...Brcehin played Richard Paton tonight, signed from us. Apprently, he wasn't signed in time for the original tie, so may actually be cup tied for the original and any rearranged games. Hamilton didn't play Simon Mensing tonight for just that reason. After they lost, the Hamilton secretary came in to the referees room and informed him that they are appealing the result due to an ineligible player. May go to a fine, a replay or even Brechin to be chucked from this year's competition.

that'll be a bye for us then?

certainly sounds like brechin are fucked

hopefully it doesn't rebound on us...the sfa hardly have a track record for getting shit like this sorted in the space of 4 days.

And for those not on mad:

15. Eligibility of Players

(b) When a match which is postponed, drawn, or abandoned, is played or replayed, only those players who were eligible at the date fixed for originally playing the Round, may play.

Paton first played for Brechin on 19th Jan as a loan signing from AFC, and the original tie against Accies was on 12th Jan.

http://www.afc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/clubNewsDetail/0,,10284~1227454,00.html

Tickets for the Scottish Cup 5th round tie at Pittodrie will not go on sale until the outcome of Hamilton's appeal against Brechin City has been determined.

Accies have lodged a protest concerning the eligibility of City's on loan Aberdeen striker Michael Paton, who played the full game in the 2-1 victory.

If Brechin got chucked, I think Hamilton would be reinstated and we'd play them. Chances are it'll be replayed again. Confirmation on Aberdeen-Mad that Paton was NOT at Brechin for the original date of the tie, so would NOT be eligible for replays/rescheduled fixtures.

Why didn't they complain at the earliest opporchancity?

Thought they'd pump them anyway and when they didn't start moaning?

Why didn't they complain at the earliest opporchancity?

Thought they'd pump them anyway and when they didn't start moaning?

Let's just say that even the officials were bemused by the timing of the appeal...I am told that the Hamilton Secretary is well known it footballing circles for being a bit pedantic in checking team lines, etc for any problems. I suspect they were well aware of his ineligibility before kick off...

Let's just say that even the officials were bemused by the timing of the appeal...I am told that the Hamilton Secretary is well known it footballing circles for being a bit pedantic in checking team lines, etc for any problems. I suspect they were well aware of his ineligibility before kick off...

They're wise to wait until the game's finished though, just in case they lose. No point in alerting the officials before the match, that's far too sporting an idea!

The precedent isn't exactly clear in that Queen of the South were fined 20k last year for playing Jamie Adams who featured in two ties during his a period, having previously been listed as a Kilmarnock substitute in the third round of the tournament. I think the issue was found after further rounds had been played though.

In 2000 Arbroath were ordered to replay when they fielded 2 ineligible (suspended players). Slightly different but I guess it depends how the SFA interpret things.

I'd be amazed if that interpretation had any common sense conclusion.