Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Stevie May

Off the BBC Gossip page...

Scotland striker Stevie May is at the top of Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes' summer wish list and has already opened talks with Sheffield Wednesday counterpart Stuart Gray about the possibility of landing the former St Johnstone 22-year-old on a season-long loan deal.

Presumably his agent talking shit, as we don't generally hear of deals till they've been done under McInnes.

Have to admit I've seen next to nothing of May other than the semi final at Ibrox. He seems to be very highly thought of. Is he maybe a bit too similar to Rooney though? He's not the quickest of players I don't think.

In a straight choice between May and Goodwillie, there is only one winner for me.

Goodwillie certainly seems to have pissed on his own chips here.

I cant see us getting May though, he's played 40 games down south this season, doesn't sound like they'd want to move him on based on that.

Scott McDonald has 5 goals in 10 games at a piss poor Motherwell, he's single-handedly saved them from Barraclough.  He's a very experienced player who has won things in the SPL.  Atill got a couple of years in him too.

If May isn't an option, I really think McDonald could add something to the squad, if not necessarily the first 11.

In a straight choice between May and Goodwillie, there is only one winner for me.

Goodwillie certainly seems to have pissed on his own chips here.

I cant see us getting May though, he's played 40 games down south this season, doesn't sound like they'd want to move him on based on that.

Scott McDonald has 5 goals in 10 games at a piss poor Motherwell, he's single-handedly saved them from Barraclough.  He's a very experienced player who has won things in the SPL.  Atill got a couple of years in him too.

If May isn't an option, I really think McDonald could add something to the squad, if not necessarily the first 11.

Totally agree only one winner between May & Goodwillie.

Think May could play off Rooney.

On Scott MacDonald don't necessarily think he would come here at his stage of career unless he was pretty much guaranteed a start week in, week out and frankly don't think we can offer him that.

Goodwillie did sign an extension to his deal but I think we're trying to offload him.

He's barely featured since his last indiscretion and I get the feeling we've decided to cut our losses.  We've got Shankland banging them in at u20, Rooney is the best in the league, if we're seriously looking at May, the writing must be on the wall for Goodwillie.

Goodwillie did sign an extension to his deal but I think we're trying to offload him.

He's barely featured since his last indiscretion and I get the feeling we've decided to cut our losses.  We've got Shankland banging them in at u20, Rooney is the best in the league, if we're seriously looking at May, the writing must be on the wall for Goodwillie.

Had been wondering that myself though I have been disappointed that Shankland hasn't been given more of a chance in his place.  Didn't think he was the right sub to be bringing on on Sunday.

Would happily have May, bit more pacey than Rooney is he not?

Whilst missing sitters for the 1st team.

It's unquestionably a big step up from u20 to the first team.

Shankland has missed a couple of decent chances but the fact he's getting into the right places gives me confidence in his potential.

He tends to get 5-10 minutes, hard to get up to pace from the bench in that time.

You're probably right. But can't really moan about being left in the U20s if he misses all his first team chances. He got a start a few weeks back (against St. Johnstone?) and although hasn't had a lot of game time has still had chances that he's missed. If he's ready for the first team it's about time he showed it. I'd be tempted to start him against Dundee.

Sheffield Wednesday style play nae suiting him,?  if its true it will be another great signing coming in the summer. If it means Goodwilie is going that would please me,  Shankand is nae ready for starting  place yet. aye in the first 13 but nae start.    he will get plenty chances next season .  as for May he is a menace when on form and his history with Mcinnies and the Doc will help him get aff good start.  We will give it a hell of a go next season. its all good :thumbsup:

First thing that came to mind when I heard about this was " jotters for goodwillie then".  It's a shame it's not really worked out for him because he is clearly a talented lad, he has the best first touch in the league for me

Tommy Wright has now come out and said he has spoke to Sheffield Wednesday about the possibility of Stevie May coming back on loan to St Johnstone but is claiming he has been told that Stevie May wont be leaving the club on loan next season.

So this could be a non starter, unless we are willing to buy him of course  ;D

Derek has now rubbished the Stevie May reports.

I think we can mark this one as dead in the water.

Thought it may have been another bluff a la Boyd/Goodwillie last season.  Maybe May is the smokescreen for us actually signing Edinson Cavani. As long as it's not Falcao we're going for...  ;)

• 2 years later...

Was reading the BBC interview with May today, looks like we did indeed go in for loan of him, then just kept prodding

"I don't think I was that far off, but from there we had a takeover of the club (Sheffield Wednesday) and they brought in a lot of players," says May. "It was crazy the amount of players that were coming in. There was a chance of going to Aberdeen on loan but the owners weren't having it. I went to Preston and I got the injury early on. I didn't get the chance to show anything."

Preston wanted to keep him, but couldn't guarantee him the game-time he needed to make up for all the football he'd lost.

May explains: "Alex Neil was the manager. I'd played with Alex when I was on loan at Hamilton. I'd been captained by him and now I was being managed by him. He said, 'Look, if you still want that move to Aberdeen, I won't stand in your way.'

"It was a no-brainer. A very easy decision to make.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41206057